PDA

View Full Version : Best TRI-5 Cooling System

NickP
10-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Opinions of the best system out there - brand you chose - features you like - features you don't like. Would you buy it again?

chevynut
10-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Are you asking about radiators? Not sure what you mean by "cooling system", as that includes more than just a radiator.

Lots of guys have been using PRC radiators. I had them build me a custom one for my car. It's high quality, but I don't know how it cools yet. I'm using an Edelbrock reverse-rotation aluminum water pump and custom made stainless radiator "hoses".

NickP
10-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Laszlo, my interest lies with the full system to include mount for radiator, fans (size), radiator and catch cans along with any other additions or complementing items or custom brkts one may have added. Not really concerned with the water pump however certainly that does play a part in the overall unit.

Bakins
10-14-2012, 07:21 PM
I'll probably be going with Autorad. Heard good things and they are "local" to me - an hour or so away.

chevynut
10-14-2012, 09:44 PM
I can't really recommend a full setup, because I built most of mine. I designed and built a custom radiator support, fitted a couple of 12" Derale fans (4000 CFM) and had my custom radiator built by PRC.

I know there are a handful of options out there for a bolt-in complete system, but a lot of it depends on what you want and what you need. For example, if you want the ultimate in cooling, you can probably get everything on the high end and pay top dollar for it. If you only need to cool a stock engine and are just after looks, that's available too. Personally I think the "systems" are way over-priced as some of them are pushing $2000. But I like to build my own stuff to fit, and so I can say nobody else has one. :)

NickP
10-15-2012, 05:39 AM
I agree completely on the"overpriced"!! I like building too Laszlo, but at times, customers want bling and I don't have a sweat shop for polishing so I continue to review other choices made by our hobbyist todetermine the best products to advise the client with and not waste their hardearned dollars. I have also givenconsideration to building a system for the three years and part of what I amseeking here is data to build by or data that may determine it just isn't agood product to make. Market research.

willis
12-15-2013, 09:43 PM
hey guys just wandering...... iv seen some of these cars with the custom radiotor covers and it looks great. iv heard that a 97 or a 2010 camaro rad assembly (rad. cond. and fans)will fit.(with some modifying). just thinking if its gonna be covered why not use a oem? would cut cost quite a bit and be easier to to get replacement parts .any ideas?

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
12-16-2013, 05:46 AM
have a "be cool" in my 57. was in it when I got it. looks good and works great.

JT56
12-16-2013, 08:11 AM
I have the PRC unit. The most important function cooling...it works. Even in these hot Texas days, no issues. They claim to work just fine on blown BBC with a/c. IdK...my blown stroker SBC with a/c is coming along and will tell you more then. They use heavy gauge wiring, with good terminals. I think there is a good value in the PRC unit vs others...I priced them. I have seen some manufactures that have the cap on the discharge side of the radiator!!! The dislikes for me is the fitment is a little off. I have the full core support ect...the gaps are a little off. If you use the orange anti freeze it will stain your aluminum! They make green antifreeze for aluminum now. I would be from them again.

Rick_L
12-16-2013, 09:24 AM
I have yet to use my PRC, but I do know several that have used one. With a good fan setup, it cools very well. Even in 100º Texas heat.

The typical setup with a PRC is a Spal dual 11" fan.

My setup uses a modified stock radiator support, gen 4 Camaro dual 11" fans, will use a coolant recovery system I'll build - no round tanks - the coolant tank and p/s reservoir will be shaped similar to the radiator tanks and mounted adjacent to them.

When you step up to the custom made supports, that's another league. PRC had lots of problems with theirs fitting early on; it's not an easy job and the way to really make it fit is to build it yourself.

Rick_L
12-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Wow I just saw that this was an old thread but with couple of new posts and questions.

On the Camaro radiator, there's really no reason you coudln't use it, and effectively. What you would have to do is figure out how to mount it. It has plastic tanks and no mounting brackets/holes. It's meant for a saddle mount in a rubber cushion. So you'd have to provide those and attach them to the radiator support. The Camaro fan can be mounted directly to the radiator support. You'd have to fab and weld some tabs to the support, etc.

567chevys
12-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Dead for over a year , looks as things might start moving along on the site ,:)

Thanks Sid

chevynut
12-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Willis, as Rick said there's no reason you can't use the Camaro radiator and fans. It should work well if it will fit under the hood. You might be able to scavenge some mounting brackets off the camaro and make them work. That's what hotrodding is all about!

Rick_L
12-17-2013, 04:52 PM
The Camaro radiator is about the same size as a PRC, Becool, etc.

You just have to figure out some saddle mounts.

Justin@ECP
01-13-2015, 07:57 AM
Was there a definitive favorite on radiators? I'm partial to the ECP :-)

NickP
01-13-2015, 08:06 AM
Nothing clear cut that I could see Justin. Being that your involved in cooling, give us a heads up as to what your products offer that equals or in fact make it better than those offered up so far. Be specific, details and images of installs will help those that are on the fence..

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
01-13-2015, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=Justin@ECP;22184]Was there a definitive favorite on radiators? I'm partial to the ECP :-)[/QUOTE

I have a couple of friends who have bought your products. One was for a 55 stock chevy belair the other for a 69 chevy truck. Both have been happy customers especially considering the price point you offer. My question is do you offer a 55 chevy belair rad and fan assy setup for the LSX engine with correct tube sizes and a steam barb? I know I could use your stock setup with double size hoses I have been there and done that but it would be nicer to have it setup for the LSX. I have inquired via your website form already
Thanks
Rocky

01-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Justin never mind Frank called me and said you guys do offer the custom radiator setup for an LSX.
Thanks
Rocky

Rick_L
01-13-2015, 06:00 PM
Justin if you want to sell radiators you should be posting photos, links, and pricing.

Justin@ECP
01-16-2015, 11:37 AM
I'm just here to help Frank at ECP, and not step on any toes of the moderators. If i start soliciting on here it violates the rules without a sponsorship.

Frank can certainly help you with anything you need to know, and I'll chime in on tech questions from time to time!

chevynut
01-16-2015, 12:46 PM
Justin, there are no rules on selling here, and you don't have to be a sponsor...in fact there are no sponsors.

Justin@ECP
01-28-2015, 06:59 AM
We have two lines of Radiators and Cooling Fan assemblies:

1. Engineered Cooling Products: All-Aluminum, period correct style, very cost-effective, and come with a lifetime warranty! Call Frank at 773.599.3067, or Justin at 773.303.8251 for your needs! www.SpeedCooling.com

2. Entropy Radiator: Fully Fabricated in the USA, All-Aluminum, Lifetime Warranty, and available with or without a fabricated dual or single fan setup. Available in SBC, BBC, and LSx engine configurations.
Call me(Justin) at 773.303.8251 for your custom setups as well! www.EntropyRad.com

c57heaven
01-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Justin: ECP is off shore?
I don't see a radiator for tri fives at the Entropy site. Any pics of a trifive radiator from there.
Do you have a cross flow with a condenser and fan set up? Not ls motor.
Thanks

Rick_L
01-28-2015, 06:12 PM
You'd do well to have a crossflow package with optional fans for a 55-57. And the package should have options for either traditional engines or LT/LS engines with the smaller hose barbs and provisions for the steam lines. Bolt in radiators are fine but the market for crossflow radiators for our cars is equally big IMO.

chevynut
01-28-2015, 06:27 PM
I personally think there's a lot more guys using cross-flow radiators than the stock-style ones.

01-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Justin: ECP is off shore?
I don't see a radiator for tri fives at the Entropy site. Any pics of a trifive radiator from there.
Do you have a cross flow with a condenser and fan set up? Not ls motor.
Thanks

I can answer that one they do not built condensers I have already discussed with owner. Only Rads

01-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Rick
They do offer this for a up charge over there stock units. I was quoted 750$ for LS size tubes and steam port. Tubes can be placed to your liking center side etc....

http://www.speedcooling.com/1955-1956-1957-Chevy-6-Cylinder-Position-For-V8-Aluminum-Radiator-3300-CFM-Electric-Fan/prod_54.html

They have a chrome fan setup for about 50$ more than one in link.

Question: Do the cross flow styles allow you to keep your horns in the stock location?

Rick_L
01-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Depends on how wide but the usual 27" with two 3" tanks - 33" wide overall - doesn't leave room for stock horns. They are easy enough to relocate.

Justin@ECP
02-20-2015, 01:17 PM
I can answer that one they do not built condensers I have already discussed with owner. Only Rads

Coming soon to a theater new you...Lots of great things for the Tri-5 Cars..

Entropy does make fully-fabbed radiators for the Tri-5's and I'm pushing for a website update on them. I believe we should have ls-swapped radiators in stock for them. Even if we have to build you a radiator to spec, you're looking at 14-21 days at most

I'll be happy to get anyone pricing on any application!

Justin@ECP
02-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Coming soon to a theater new you...Lots of great things for the Tri-5 Cars..

Entropy does make fully-fabbed radiators for the Tri-5's and I'm pushing for a website update on them. I believe we should have ls-swapped radiators in stock for them. Even if we have to build you a radiator to spec, you're looking at 14-21 days at most

I'll be happy to get anyone pricing on any application!

Also, ECP is coming back to be 100% US in the next few months. We have found we can do just as good of a job on these guys and keep the pricing where it needs to be!