PDA

View Full Version : power antennas

chevynut
11-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Has anyone here successfully installed a power antenna using the stock chrome bezel and a stock-like black plastic nut? Does anyone make the parts to do that? If it's out there, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

chevynut
11-16-2012, 11:42 AM
I have bought 3 power antennas now. :( The first has a cable drive so the motor can be mounted remotely. Problem is, in a 56 (at least MY 56) there's no place to mount it. Bilhili successfully used one in his 57, but not with the original bezel. Then I bought a Delco antenna, and the nut is too big for the bezel. The threads on the tube are too large. So I picked up another one at Autozone to see if I can make it work...the nut looks smaller, but still may not work. I may have to modify the bezel, make an adapter for the nut, or something else to make it work. I was just wondering if anyone had already done that.

Seems like someone would have made a bolt-in kit by now to do this.

reborn55
11-18-2012, 04:59 PM
I used one back in the 70's that was able to use the stock hardware, but I can't remember what or where I got it from. Slept since then--good luck and keep us posted--may try one for my 55

Hawaiian
11-18-2012, 06:17 PM
I heard quite sometime ago that a power antenna from a Jaguar XJ6 will work,the bazel also will fit. Hirschmann # Metra 44-PW6 works, MFG no longer, you might find a used one on ebay LOL.
Hawaiian

chevynut
11-18-2012, 06:34 PM
The one I have with the remote motor is a brand new one for a Jag XJ6. I'm not sure if it will work with the stock bezel but I'll check. I quit messing with it because there's no place to mount the motor in my car. Bihili has one in his '57.