PDA

View Full Version : Electric window swiches

Bihili
11-20-2012, 12:12 PM
This could get long, patience please.
My original plan was to use the 2003 corvette door modules and door switches.
I got the 03 vette mirrors so I thought why not try to use the module and switches and somehow graph a portion of the vette door panel into my door panel.
Just the portion with the switches, arm rest and pull handle.

The drivers door module will control the mirror but not the window.
I called electric life and talk to rep and he thought it would work.

Then I tried to wire the passenger mirror and window and nothing happened from the drivers switches.
I have not tried the passenger module to the passenger window or mirror.

According to the schematics there is a wire from the drivers door module to the ECM then to passenger door module.
I don't have a ECM and just wired directly to other module.

This type electronics the module senses a ground at the switch then the module sends power to the window or door lock or mirror.
This has been almost over my head.

My neighbor is a retired TWA lead mechanic in avionics and he did not know if it would work without the ECM.
What do you think?

chevynut
11-20-2012, 02:06 PM
I doubt it would work with the setup you have. The grounding switch just sends a signal to the ECM and the ECM tells the controller what to do. It's just like my Eldorado seats with memory. The switches do nothing but ground the lines to the seat control module.

That doesn't mean you can't get it to work some other way. You might need different switches or relays to do the driving of the windows, or even seperate window controllers. There's no reason you can't make it work.

chevynut
11-20-2012, 02:14 PM
I would think that the passenger door module should function the same way as the driver door module. Does it control both the mirrors and the windows?

I have done a lot of electrical work, even on relay logic which is really confusing. But I hate reading schematics from new cars....they're almost impossible to understand.

Bihili
11-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Yes it is just like our Cadillac seats.
The door control module has a built in relay.
I think the only reason the door module has a data wire to the ECM is because of the security system.
The door control module also control the door locks.

The local Chevy dealership did not think it could work.

Since the drivers door module does control the drivers mirror I thought this might work on windows too.

Bihili
11-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Have not tried controlling passenger mirror or window from passengers control module yet.

chevynut
11-20-2012, 03:06 PM
I think the only reason the door module has a data wire to the ECM is because of the security system.

If that's all it does, I see no reason you can't make it work. I believe my window controllers just receive a signal from the switch, and they drive the windows up or down. I would think an OEM controller woudl work the same way. Maybe there's some other signal that enables the window controller.

Rick_L
11-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Chevynut, you mention "controller". Do your switches activate relays rather than carrying full amperage? What system do you have and where are the relays mounted?

chevynut
11-20-2012, 08:03 PM
I have some controllers from Autoloc, their wc-1000 controller. They have one-touch up/down, load sensing, and interface with keyless entry so you can use the key fob to lower ir raise the windows.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hfm-wc1000

Bihili
05-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Well I gave up on relay logic. Without an ECM I could not get the two individual door modules to operate mirrors and windows. Oh well, so the mirrors will be in a fixed location.
So to get this thing finished I am using a 1980's four window switch mounted in the console.
Since this is a new factory (Dorman) switch from the 80's and based upon the size of the wire in the switch, can I assume no relays are needed for the ElectricLife power windows?
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv226/bihili57/IMAG0260.jpg (http://s686.photobucket.com/user/bihili57/media/IMAG0260.jpg.html)

smooth 56
05-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I used early model switches in my 56 like you have in the pic don't remember using relay's.

chevynut
05-02-2013, 02:48 PM
The old switches were designed to switch enough current that you didn't need relays.