PDA

View Full Version : what type of pump are you using on your parts washer

stroker
12-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Hope I'm on the right forum as I'm too tired to get my butt kicked tonight. I have a HF 20 gallon parts washer that I modified. I installed a remote filter adapter with a large ford filter and a three way valve so I can use the wet brush and/or spout. Problem was no flow, I replaced the pump with a bigger one, also, HF with no differance. Sounds like I need a positive displacement type pump. Anybody gone this route ? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks

chevynut
12-02-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't think a centrifugal pump is going to force much cleaner through an oil filter (I assume that's what you have) because of the resistance. I think you need a positive displacement pump for that, as you suspected. Not sure what to suggest there.

I don't even have a parts cleaner, but would like to get one. What kind of solvent are you using? We used to use a lot of stoddard solvent when I worked as an aircraft mechanic, but I don't know if you can even get that stuff anymore due to the EPA. I bought it 5 gallons at a time for home use.

Rick_L
12-02-2012, 07:01 PM
I agree with Chevynut, you probably have too much pressure drop through the filter. And it will just get worse as the filter captures more stuff. Get rid of it see if it works acceptably.

I don't worry about filters, I just let the crud drop to the bottom of the sump, below the pump inlet.

I've used a homemade parts washer for many years. It's just an old stainless steel kitchen sink, with a 5 gallon pail below it, and a pump submersed in the pail that I bought at Grainger. The pump is made to be a parts washer pump. It's a centrifugal pump.

I've usually used kerosene as a solvent, which I can buy at my nearby hardware store. Or in the past I used "odorless mineral spirits" which I could get at work. (Essentially it's the same as kerosene, just a little more highly refined, similar flash point, just doesn't stink as bad). Recently I bought a pail of water based solvent at Tractor Supply to convert it to something more friendly, but I haven't tried to convert it over yet.

warren57
12-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Takes pretty good pressure to push through an oil filter. Not sure it's worth while, since the chunks of crap that come off parts would clog a filter fast anyway. I would think putting some cheese cloth or a pair off pantyhose over the discharge pipe and let it circulate a while, would do as much good as anything. I've thought about building a wire cylindrical frame to fit the pump inlet, the length of the tank and slip a bag filter (pantyhose, screen, something) over it to collect the chunks? If you are set on an oil filter, a standard fuel hand pump will push through a filter.