PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake master cylinder

reborn55
01-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Feels11711171 like I am rebuilding this car all over again. master cylinder is leaking at the rear--filling boot into the passenger compartment. I have non-power brake disc setup. in looking at replacement cylinders I cannot seem to find the one like I have. I have one with 2 different size chambers which I have always considered disc/drum. Every one that I have found appear to have the same size chambers. What are you guys using. May as well replace it while I have everything all apart.

markm
01-05-2013, 05:29 PM
I used one off a 72 Chevy PU I was parting out on my 56 I was parting out 20 years ago. Still on there working fine. My 55 has one off a 68 Corvette. Non power disk on both.

Rick_L
01-05-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't know of any "big/little" master cylinders with a 1" bore which is what you need for manual brakes. Makes me wonder what's on there now. How's your braking effort? If you have to stomp on it pretty hard for a normal stop, you may have a 1-1/8" bore master cylinder.

The other thing is that for manual brakes, you need a master cylinder with a deep cup so that the pushrod doesn't inadvertently fall out.

There are two master cylinders that I know will work for you.

First is a master cylinder for a 67 Camaro/Nova/Chevelle. It will have a 1" bore and a deep cup. It will also have two small reservoirs. That will work, but you'll have to be diligent about checking the fluid level once the pads wear.

Second is a master cylinder for a manual brake 71-82 Corvette. It will have a 1" bore and a deep cup. It will have two large reservoirs. It's probably the better choice if there's room for it. It's quite a bit longer than the Camaro one.

frogman21758
01-05-2013, 08:42 PM

I'm using a Wilwood tandem master cylinder with manual brakes and it works great. No problems mounting directly to existing pedal hardware.

Jim

reborn55
01-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Master cylinder came with Disc brake kit when I installed it in the mid 90's. Came from CCI back then--Ecklers now. Brake pedal pressure is a little more than I expected it to be but does stop well. Really never had to stop on a dime yet. Ecklers offers the one similar to the Corvette on offered at NAPA. I was just concerned with reservoirs being the same size. Guess that is what they all went to later on in years. At one time CCI told me the cylinder came from a Mopar product. Thanks

reborn55
01-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Been looking at the Corvette master cylinders--but I don't have rear disc brakes so what about residual valve for the rear shoes.

reborn55
02-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Well I opted for the Corvette master cylinder--ordered a m/c for a 74 Camaro with manual disc/drum but it did not have a deep hole. so I have the Corvette type on the car now. Funny thing though the m/c that was on the car(was kit bought from CCI in mid 90's) did not have a residual valve in it either--also had 1 1/8 bore--strange how the search for the supposed right master cylinder led me to one like I had. Seems as though technology has passed me by. Thanks for all the help

chevynut
02-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Glad you got it worked out.