PDA

View Full Version : Bought floors and misc

Bakins
01-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Went and picked up my floor and some odds and ends yesterday. Found a place about 1.5 hours from the house (Rods N Rides in Calhoun, GA), so I didn't have to pay freight. They were very helpful, etc. Got floor with braces, toe boards, lower A-pillars, both outer rockers, and a few other things.

Wish me luck!

Bluegrass Trifive
01-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Good Luck Bakins, Sounds like we're doing similar projects. What brand was your metal?

567chevys
01-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Good Luck Bakins ,

Please post pictures as you start to finish would be nice to have it on the site for others to see how it's done.

Sid

Bakins
01-14-2013, 04:47 AM
Good Luck Bakins ,

Please post pictures as you start to finish would be nice to have it on the site for others to see how it's done.

Sid
Or maybe I'll serve as an example of what not to do :) I'll take plenty of pics.

Bakins
01-14-2013, 04:49 AM
Good Luck Bakins, Sounds like we're doing similar projects. What brand was your metal?

Floor and rockers are goldstar. Most of the other is Sherman -- "patches" -- goldstar only makes "complete" panels, I think.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
01-14-2013, 05:48 AM
your ahead of the game by saving on shipping, way to go. :)

Bakins
01-25-2013, 03:29 PM
I know this question has been asked a thousand times, but I'll ask it again - do I do the rockers or the floor first? My floors have the inner rockers already attached (Goldstar). I'm about to be at that point, so I need to decide on an approach.

Also, after I cleaned some stuff up a little, some of my sheetmetal is in better shape than I thought, so I may can return/swap a few odds and ends. I'll post some pics before I decide to get everyone's opinion.

Thanks again!

NickP
01-25-2013, 03:48 PM
I know this question has been asked a thousand times, but I'll ask it again - do I do the rockers or the floor first? My floors have the inner rockers already attached (Goldstar). I'm about to be at that point, so I need to decide on an approach.

Also, after I cleaned some stuff up a little, some of my sheetmetal is in better shape than I thought, so I may can return/swap a few odds and ends. I'll post some pics before I decide to get everyone's opinion.

Thanks again!

Depending on how well braced the body is, one can do floor first. if you cut the outer rockers out first, leaving the old floor in tact then replace the rockers with the doors on for a guide and gap do it that way. I have done it both ways. If you take the floor out leave the outer rockers in place. again it all in the bracing and making certain you don't loose the alignment.

Bakins
01-26-2013, 10:11 AM
If you take the floor out leave the outer rockers in place. again it all in the bracing and making certain you don't loose the alignment.

I can brace it pretty well. I'm thinking floors first will be better and possibly easier.

smooth 56
01-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Good luck Bakins just got dune doing that to my 55 take you'r time and thing's will fall into place.

chevynut
01-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Good luck Brian. If you have any questions and need to talk to someone, give me a call. I haven't installed a 1-piece floor myself, but I did replace the floor in my Nomad.

Bakins
01-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Will do.

I plan on cutting the "middle" of the floor out with a cut off wheel and then using a spot weld cutter to get out the "edges." sound reasonable?

smooth 56
01-27-2013, 05:25 AM
Will do.

I plan on cutting the "middle" of the floor out with a cut off wheel and then using a spot weld cutter to get out the "edges." sound reasonable?

That's what I did seamed to work out well. I had to replace the toe board's also don't know if this was the rite way but I put the toe board's in while I had the floor out of the way just seamed like it would be easy'er to do it that way.I also had to replace the bottom A piller and the wall's where the vent's are did all of this before I put the floor in that way I could get to every thing like I said don't know if this was the rite way but it worked out well.

chevynut
01-27-2013, 06:34 AM
I sure wish they had these nice inexpensive 1-piece assembled floors when I replaced the floor in my Nomad. I spent over $2000 for the two half-pans and braces, then I had to put it all together myself. The assembled floors were an absurd $2700 at the time from CARS (EMI) and they didn't even have them for a sedan (Nomads use sedan floors). Some people complain about overseas stuff, but they have made our hobby a lot more affordable for the common guy. A complete floor for $900 is a pretty good bargain, imo, and I'll bet someone is still making good money on them. They pressured CARS to drop their floors to around $1200 now, but they're still not competitive, imo.

smooth 56
01-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Yea chevynut they have made thing's a lot easy'er.The first time I built my 56 back in 1979/80 era they didn't make anything for them.Every thing on that car is hand made and is still in the car. You know back then I didn't have money to buy anything so it was make it or do without lol.Ya know thinking about it,ain't much changed lol.

Bakins
01-27-2013, 11:43 AM
My floors were $825. Guy gave me a $25 discount because I bought several other things at the same time.

smooth 56
01-28-2013, 09:57 AM
That was a good buy on the floor Bakins. I gave $900 for mine and bought about $900 worth of other part's he didn't give me hardley any kind of a break.Mite have to find out where you got you'r stuff calhoune don't think I spelled that rite is not that far from me.