PDA

View Full Version : 55 Belaire Quarter panels

Wes 55
01-24-2013, 02:16 AM
Just started my rebuild on my 55. I am looking to replace both rear quarter panels. Where is the best place to purchase them ? Looking for quality, cost and shipping cost. Would greatly appreciate any and all input.
Thank you
Wes 55

Rick_L
01-24-2013, 09:20 AM
You didn't say what body style, hardtop/sedan/wagon, etc.

For hardtops you have two basic choices:
- Quarter panel made by EMI in the USA, distributed by Sherman, retailed by many 55-57 parts suppliers. It is not a full factory type quarter panel. The door jamb area is abbreviated. The panel stops at the vertical crown next to the trunk lid, i.e., it doesn't have the trunk gutter or the 6" or so of panel over to the peak. Nor does it have any part of the C pillar. You only get half the taillight opening.

- Quarter panel made in Taiwan, distributed by Gold Star, retailed by several places, including Resto World. This is a full factory type quarter, with full door jamb, part of the C pillar, the trunk gutter, and a full taillight opening.

Neither one of these is made perfectly.

The EMI quarter's door jambs lack crispness, as does the wheel cutout area. The rocker area on the one I had was not bent far enough at the bottom body line.

I've never seen a Gold Star quarter in person, but it has similar problems, just different in detail.

For sedans, you also have 2 choices.

Choice #1 is to modify the hardtop panel made by EMI. The main thing you have to do is remove the area where the beltline dip is, and keep the beltline dip on your present quarter panel. You'll also have to trim away and fit the material at the top of the panel in the quarter window area.

Choice #2 is a Gold Star full factory type sedan quarter. It has all the features that were listed for the hardtop full quarter, plus it has the quarter window frame.

Again the Gold Star full quarter has similar problems to those described for the others.

The price of the US quarter panel and the price of either Gold Star panel is pretty close, usually within $100.

What to buy? I can't really answer that. Few really can, since few have actually done both.