PDA

View Full Version : 4 spd Muncie - $$$$

Crissys55
03-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Might be looking to convert my 3 speed w/OD to a four on the floor. Can anyone recommend some shops etc...that i should contact? Looking at the M-20, but price is a huge consideration, as always.

Thanks.

Maddog
03-06-2013, 03:17 PM
How would anyone recommend a shop when they don't know where you are?

Crissys55
03-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks Maddog, that most valuable piece of information has certainly hindered all in providing me the info I seek. Too bad there is not something like, say...hmmm...oh, we could call it the internet. Yes, the internet, where regardless of where one resides, they could order something online! Wow! That would be very cool! But, since that does not exist, we are left only to purchase items from our local vendors. Oh well, i will continue my search for the best price available and share what i have found, after my ONLINE PURCHASE!

Maddog
03-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks Maddog, that most valuable piece of information has certainly hindered all in providing me the info I seek. Too bad there is not something like, say...hmmm...oh, we could call it the internet. Yes, the internet, where regardless of where one resides, they could order something online! Wow! That would be very cool! But, since that does not exist, we are left only to purchase items from our local vendors. Oh well, i will continue my search for the best price available and share what i have found, after my ONLINE PURCHASE!

You said "can anyone recommend some shops" which implies install, if it's just parts purchase then say so

chevynut
03-13-2013, 06:07 PM
I never understood why guys hide their locations, or at least don't put them on their avatars. That goes for BOTH of you. I personally would make it a requirement to join the site. What's the big deal?

Maddog
03-13-2013, 07:11 PM
If you start your own site you can make any requirement you like. As far as MY location I never gave it a second thought when I signed up, not really important in MY opinion. Now if I want something then MY location may become relevant. In the orig posters post I read it as meaning install shops, maybe I read it wrong.

chevynut
03-13-2013, 07:40 PM
If people had their location in their profiles or something, we wouldn't have to ask where they're located. I just never understood why people act like they're hiding something or afraid of something. It's like covering up license plates in a picture...what's the point? Seems really dumb to me.

Rick_L
03-13-2013, 08:10 PM
If you buy online or over the phone from a distant supplier, shipping cost is a concern on an item like a transmission. And if you have a problem, you just doubled that problem. A Muncie can probably be shipped UPS, but it will have to be packaged correctly. Otherwise it's truck freight, and a different deal altogether.

If you're willing to install it, maybe you're willing to rebuild it yourself. If you plan to have the installation done by a shop, then it's kind of like taking a raw steak to a restaurant and asking them to cook it.

Maddog
03-14-2013, 07:43 AM
I think "price is a consideration" is the key. I imagine some folks post on websites in hope that some one has no clue as to the real value and will give it away for next to nothing, just bercause.

warren57
03-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Crissy55- welcome to the "Grumpy Old Men" site...
The site where the only thing more painful than asking a question, is answering one. Isn't this helpful and fun!
Oh and I have bought several Muncies through the years on Craigslist... I've seen them from $500-$1500.
Consider a T-10 or Saganaw, they were fine, held up good and much cheaper.

Maddog
03-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Crissy55- welcome to the "Grumpy Old Men" site...
The site where the only thing more painful than asking a question, is answering one. Isn't this helpful and fun!
Oh and I have bought several Muncies through the years on Craigslist... I've seen them from $500-$1500.

Hopefully, Richard R (AKA Crissys55) has been around the block often enough to understand how these websites play out, he posts on a fair amount of them so this should'nt be anything new to him.

I would agree that swapmeets and Craig's list is a good place to look.

carcass
08-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Maddog you have a great set of.........Tatoos.

slowfinger
08-31-2013, 08:29 AM
Yea, We're looking four a 4 speed {shopping} but want to know the advantages over the muncie and borg warner t10 trans. How do they compair? different yokes must be available for differnt spline counts.

warren57
08-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Yea, We're looking four a 4 speed {shopping} but want to know the advantages over the muncie and borg warner t10 trans. How do they compair? different yokes must be available for differnt spline counts.

I personally have Muncie in my car. They were good units, but over rated and WAY over priced... I've had T-10's in the past that were just as good, took just as hard a beating. You can't go wrong with either, but you can still buy a T-10 for about 1/2 the price of a muncie.

slowfinger
09-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Warren57, Just bought a vintage borg warner from e-bay. $450. with shipping. Suppost to be remanufactured! It is a cast iron unit. Now I guess I have to install it and measure for a cross member. What is everybody using for the conversion? It was a three speed originally. Geo.

warren57
09-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Warren57, Just bought a vintage borg warner from e-bay. $450. with shipping. Suppost to be remanufactured! It is a cast iron unit. Now I guess I have to install it and measure for a cross member. What is everybody using for the conversion? It was a three speed originally. Geo.

4 speed will mount right where the 3 speed was. Shouldn't need any modification. I used the Speedway Motors transmission mount because I didn't have the stock bellhousing, so needed a rear mount. Do you have a stock bellhousing and 3 speed currently installed? If so, remove the tranny and stick in the 4 speed and go. I had that in a 56 wagon I had a few years ago and worked great. Check front shaft size and spline count to be sure your clutch matches and you are set. A Borg Warner should match the 3 speed...

View Larger

Item #:

1955-57 Chevy Transmission Crossmember Kits
Price:
$69.99
EA

In Stock

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/Product/26/91628910_F_190c4bfc.jpg View Larger

Item #:

slowfinger
09-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Warren57, Does the saginaw and borg warner trans use the same shifter for the tri fives? Geo.

warren57
09-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Warren57, Does the saginaw and borg warner trans use the same shifter for the tri fives? Geo.

I believe so.... I'm sure you can Google the mount bolt pattern on both to verify. The shifter is the same for all, the mounting plat would be the only difference. I'm not sure you couldn't make a muncie mount work. I have an older muncie mounted tri five comp plus shifter I'll sell cheap (maybe $50+shipping). I used buckets and didn't like the look of the stick. I cut it and relocated it, but still didn't like the look so I bought a new comp plus for a Camaro.
Also have a new RAM clutch and pressure plate (10 spline) I'll sell for $100 + shipping. Used it for about 10 minutes and about 10 city blocks. Was to stiff for an old man to push in all day. Went to a cheapo stock Camaro NAPA clutch. I think I can handle that one!

Rick_L
09-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Yea, We're looking four a 4 speed {shopping} but want to know the advantages over the muncie and borg warner t10 trans. How do they compair? different yokes must be available for different spline counts.

The original T10 transmission was the first 4 speed available in Chevys. It is not as strong as a Muncie. They have a 10 spline input shaft (same as stock 55-57) and a 17 spline output shaft (again same as stock).

The Muncie came out in 63. It was a bit stronger. Most of them have a 10 spline input shaft and 27 spline output shaft (same as most 60s transmissions). You can get a 27 spline driveshaft yoke which fits your stock driveshaft/u-joints for cheap. Makes it a bolt in. That goes for Muncies up through 1970. All those don't require a different length driveshaft. In 71 they went to a 26 spline input shaft and a 32 spline output shaft (same as TH400). And the overall length is 1" longer. You'll need to shorten the driveshaft 1". Also around the 71-72 timeframe they started putting Super T-10s in GM cars. Same 26 spline input/32 spline output as the late Muncie. Some people don't like the Super T-10, but I think it's equivalent to a Muncie strengthwise. You have to pay attention to gear ratios with the Super T-10, some have some really good gear ratios (IMO better than Muncie), others not so much.

For the shifter, the same shifter body from Hurst works on all 3 (plus the Saginaw). But they all take a different shifter kit, which is the bracket to mount it, and the rods and shifter arms for the trans side cover. If you have a bench seat, you need the 55-57 specific Hurst shifter which clears the seat, along with the right shifter kit. If you have bucket seats, then shifters from other cars may work.

warren57
09-12-2013, 08:57 PM
The original T10 transmission was the first 4 speed available in Chevys. It is not as strong as a Muncie. They have a 10 spline input shaft (same as stock 55-57) and a 17 spline output shaft (again same as stock).

The Muncie came out in 63. It was a bit stronger. Most of them have a 10 spline input shaft and 27 spline output shaft (same as most 60s transmissions). You can get a 27 spline driveshaft yoke which fits your stock driveshaft/u-joints for cheap. Makes it a bolt in. That goes for Muncies up through 1970. All those don't require a different length driveshaft. In 71 they went to a 26 spline input shaft and a 32 spline output shaft (same as TH400). And the overall length is 1" longer. You'll need to shorten the driveshaft 1". Also around the 71-72 timeframe they started putting Super T-10s in GM cars. Same 26 spline input/32 spline output as the late Muncie. Some people don't like the Super T-10, but I think it's equivalent to a Muncie strengthwise. You have to pay attention to gear ratios with the Super T-10, some have some really good gear ratios (IMO better than Muncie), others not so much.

For the shifter, the same shifter body from Hurst works on all 3 (plus the Saginaw). But they all take a different shifter kit, which is the bracket to mount it, and the rods and shifter arms for the trans side cover. If you have a bench seat, you need the 55-57 specific Hurst shifter which clears the seat, along with the right shifter kit. If you have bucket seats, then shifters from other cars may work.

Rick is correct (and I forgot about it) you do have to change the front ujoint / yolk on your stock drive shaft (about a 10 minute job) to a 27 spline. I've always got them for free from about any transmission shop. I think I have one laying around the shop if you need one.

ray55nomad
09-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Crissy55 If you are anywhere near Phoenix I would be glad to do it for you and take the three speed o/d in trade
That is all I run I shift it as a five speed
Thanks
Ray

slowfinger
09-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Warren57, We have a 10 spline input and 27 spline out put rebuilt saginaw 4 gear that were going to use. If your shifter will work with stock bench seat? and also if you have 27 spline yoke for the 56. e-mail slowfinger@sbcglobal.net. Thanks Geo.