PDA

View Full Version : 55-59 frame differences

55ChevyPup
03-10-2013, 12:00 PM
I have a '55 truck with a '58 frame. I am aware that the frame is longer in front, but are there any other differences? I was assembling the front end sheet metal today and could not mount the lower grill bar because it interfered with the frame mounts for the radiator support. Are the frame support mounts different?

Also, exactly how much of the frame do I need to cut off the front?

Thanks,
Chris

BAM55
03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Hello,

The frames are basically the same. I have a 59 frame with a 55 front clip installed on my build. I had no issues with the radiator mounts, my 55 clip bolted up just fine. I cut off about 3 inches from the front of the frame but I don't remember the exact measurements. I could get the measurements for you because I still have the pieces I cut off. The easy way to do would be to mount that front clip perfectly and mark were the bottom grill support meets the frame and cut it off even. Thats what I did.

Radiator mounts?

Here is what mine looks like. There are two different kind but that did not seem to make a different for my sheetmetal.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2600/3928583073_1ed238ae21.jpg

I'm not on this site anymore but someone told me about your questions knowing that I did the same on my truck so I thought I would stop by and help out. Plus I think Sid is good people.

I will get those measurements to you when I get home tonight.

Maddog
03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Hello,

The frames are basically the same. I have a 59 frame with a 55 front clip installed on my build. I had no issues with the radiator mounts, my 55 clip bolted up just fine. I cut off about 3 inches from the front of the frame but I don't remember the exact measure. I could get the measurements for you because I still have the pieces I cut off. The easy way to do would be to mount that front clip perfectly and mark were the bottom grill support meets the grill and cut it off even. Thats what I did.

Radiator mounts?

Here is what mine looks like. There are two different kind but that did not seem to make a different for my sheetmetal.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2600/3928583073_1ed238ae21.jpg

I'm not on this site anymore but someone told me about your questions knowing that I did the same on my truck so I thought I would stop by and help out. Plus I think Sid is good people.

I will get those measurements to you when I get home tonight.

Good man. You're probably the only one that could answer this question.

BAM55
03-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Maddog,

Whats up? I hope everything is well with you.

55ChevyPup,

I forgot to ask you something. Has your cab been off the frame? If so, have you added shim? You may also need to shim the fenders. I had to add a shims to my front cab mounts to get the fenders to meet the rocker panel there was a gap before I shimmed. Just a thought.

BAM55
03-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Okay I got that measurement for you. I cut 2 3/4 off the front of the my 59 frame. Like I said earlier I would not cut it until I have mounted the 55-57 front end and made sure it fit nicely, than I would mark the frame even with the lower grill support and whack it off.

Good luck man I hope it all works out for you.

55ChevyPup
03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Wow. Thanks for the info! I've been using your project thread on the other site as a go-by for all the work needed on my truck. For some reason I couldn't pull up the site the other day so I just used this one.

My frame looks identical to yours so I'm not sure why I having trouble. My plan is to line up all the sheet metal (including the bed) and leave the radiator mount unbolted. Then I'll remove the mounts from the frame and put them where I need them to be and weld them in.

I don't know a lot about all the different options available on these trucks. It looks like the radiator support could be mounted in two different locations. Why is that?
1315 1314
Chris

BAM55
03-12-2013, 07:53 PM
No problem man. I believe the difference in the mounting location is 6 cylinders vs 8 cylinders.

567chevys
03-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks Bam for helping him out !!

Post some pictures of that bad to the bone truck please ?

Sid

BAM55
03-13-2013, 09:33 AM
No problem Sid, If I can be of help, I will help. That's what its all about my buddy.

55ChevyPup
03-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the help fellas. I stumbled upon this post. Someone had the same issue I did. Looks like this mount can end up in several locations depending on engine type and year of frame. Just an FYI.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588095

BAM55
03-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Good link. That is the other mount I was telling you about. There are two of them and it also show the 6 and 8 cylinder position I was guessing at.lol Now I did not have to move my radiator mounts for my 55 clip to fit although the fit was tight it did fit. The other mount allows more wiggle room also, because it allows you to slide the front end. Here is a pic of the fitment of my clip on the 59 frame.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8301/7891800872_61cdd82109.jpg
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4032/4495881281_9e84ce58cf.jpg

55ChevyPup
03-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Yeah, there is no way I can mount the lower grill bar to both fenders and still line up the radiator support on the frame. Thanks for pics.

Are you going to the Goodguys Del Mar car show in April or the Brothers show in late June. It'd be cool to show your truck while still under construction. I love seeing car and trucks all mocked up before paint. You can really see all the craftsmanship and custom touches.

Chris

BAM55
03-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Yes I will be at both Goodguys and Brothers I go every year. I thought about taking the 55 210 to Del Mar but I really can't enjoy a show when I bring my rides. So most likely I will not take it. I like walking the show and seeing everything. I'm to worried when I take my cars there have been a lot of cars stolen from shows lately. A 56 Nomad was stolen this year at the Grand Nationals in Pomona, CA. I had taken pics of the car and posted them on another website and one of the guys informed me that it was stolen and give a link to the article. Awful man its getting harder to just have fun and have a good time with all the thieves and assholes out there.

55ChevyPup
03-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Wow! Hot rod stolen at a show. I've never heard of that. If he gets caught they will need to cut his balls off.

I will be at the Del Mar show on Friday & Saturday. I run my 70 Camaro at the autocross. I highly recommend the Goodguys autocross if you haven't done it before. I think your '55 210 would get a lot of attention. Everyone is really nice and very encouraging. I'm not that great at it but I still have a lot of fun. My camaro is light blue and kind of a resto mod. Stop by if you get the chance. I also like giving people rides around the course if your interested.

I'm looking forward the Brother's show. I need to figure what ride height to set my truck at and want to scope out what other people have done to get some ideas.

Chris

BAM55
03-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Hey Chris

Here is a link to the car that was stolen at GNRS in Pomona, CA http://bangshift.com/blog/stolen-car-alert-1956-chevy-nomad-stolen-from-sheraton-at-grand-national-roadster-show.html

So keep a watch when you take your ride anywhere those thieves are out there.

Thanks for the invite buddy and drop me a PM so that we can be sure to meet each other at the show. I would love to see the Camaro.

chevynut
03-27-2013, 09:17 AM
I know what it feels like to have a car stolen. I had my '55 2-door sedan stolen in 1973, 3 days after I moved to KCMO. I would have loved to have caught the bastards who did it. I just finished building it, and it had a brand new lacquer paintjob, 427 BBC, Muncie, and 4.11 gears. To this day I believe the cops stole it.

Personally I think you should be able to protect your property with force. But the do-gooders and liberals can't have that. The poor guy who stole the Nomad probably just wants to sell it so he can feed his family. Bullshit. He should be caught and the owner should be allowed to beat the shit out of him with a baseball bat for it. IMO.