PDA

View Full Version : Custom rear armrests finished

chevynut
03-22-2013, 05:31 PM
After not working on my Nomad much for several weeks...or months....I finally got back to doing some work on it. I have been working a little on my seats, console, and some aluminum rear armrests the past few months (along with starting my business), but I didn't know what to do with some of it until I consulted with an upholstery shop.

I recently found an upholstery guy who is going to do my leather interior for me. He is a one-man shop and does high-end upholstery near me, and he's done some work for Pinkees as well as other high-end shops. I went to his shop a couple months ago and looked at a 33 Ford he's been working on and his work was superb. He also does a lot of work for corporate aviation clients. He's building a '55 Chevy 2-door sedan and after talking extensively it seems our tastes are very similar as the colors for his car are similar to what I'm looking at doing. He's as picky about things as I am. :) ....and we're building him a custom C4 frame for his '55.

After talking over some design aspects, I decided to slightly re-shape and cap my rear armrests that I made some time ago. I adjusted the curvature of the upper portion to flow better with the seats, and welded the aluminum caps on them and smoothed them. He is going to put a thin layer of foam on them, then cover them with leather. We are going to make some tabs to catch the front flange, and the rest will be held on with three screws with steel tabs behind them.

I am also planning to hide my seatbelt reels behind the armrests, and maybe the side panels and headliner too. I'm still working on perfecting that idea. ;)

He came over today and brought an AME crossmember kit for his frame, and a pattern to make my door panels. We're getting a headstart on the interior so it will go faster once the car is painted....he has some great ideas.

I also decided to make a removable cover for my entire cargo area. That way I can carry stuff back there without it being seen, or leave it off if I want to. I still have to figure out how to make it all work out the way I want it.

Run-em
03-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Damn fine work, Laszlo! As always.

smooth 56
03-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Looking really good chevy. I really don't know what color you want as far as interior and paint. Sorry man haven't known you that long. But the way I see it,it's going to be one bad ass ride.

Rick_L
03-22-2013, 07:35 PM
About time for a good car thread here.

Why aluminum instead of steel?

chevynut
03-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Rick, I don't know. I feel that I can shape aluminum easier than steel and it's lighter and warps less when welded. I could probably have made them out of steel, but aluminum seemed to be an obvious material since my rear seat structure is also aluminum. I have been considering what to make my console out of, and I bounce from MDF to aluminum. I haven't even thought of making it from steel for some reason. Aluminum is just a more "user-friendly" metal in my experience. I don't think I could have made my air intake out of steel like I made it out of aluminum.

I just know that I'm not crazy about using a bunch of wood in a car. Steel or aluminum is okay....fiberglass is so-so. I've seen entire interior structures and EVEN SEAT MOUNTS done out of plywood and MDF. I'm not doing that.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
03-23-2013, 06:05 AM
looking good, going to look great when it's done. you do great with aluminum, will save on weight (if that matters to you) in the end.

56-210Sedan
03-23-2013, 03:27 PM
That is very nice work, although i was not expecting disappointment. Good Job :cool:

markm
03-24-2013, 01:50 PM
I agree with you completely Cnut on the wood, seen a console post on the other site made of wood and made me think of some of the piece of shit conversion vans I have scraped.

WagonCrazy
03-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Good stuff Laszlo.
I'm not a "wood in car" fan either...

Have you thought about what to use that large opening in the inner quarter panel for? Seems like good space to stash stuff, if you made a trap door that you could get into easily.

I'm going to be blatantly stealing alot of your ideas man. You're miles ahead of me on your build...;) Promise to give the credit where the credit is due.