PDA

View Full Version : ABS Codes

reborn55
03-27-2013, 12:20 PM
1999 Silverado-2wd-5.3-100,000 miles. While driving abs and parking light came on--codes C0222-R/F wheel signal missing,C0226-L/F wheel signal missing and C0265-EBCM. Am I facing multiple problems or just one. don't have all my Bosch information uploaded for Mastertech VCI yet. Seems to be an intermittient proble. Comes on after a couple of days---turn ignition off restart and is good for a couple of more days. Cleaned terminals at EBCM and redid ground. Still happens. Any help appreciated
Thanks

5Clint7
03-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Some things to look at without a scanner. Are all the wheel and tires the same size? Is the tire pressure equal? Check for a broken tooth on the reluctor (sp) ring and see if it's loose. Sometimes the wires to the speed sensors will break inside the insulation over time with all the movement. Unplug the connector at the sensor and give it a tug and see if it pulls like a rubber band. Or use an Ω meter at the sensor connector and jiggle the wires to see if you loose continuity. Just some thoughts.

chevynut
03-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Seems Chevrolet has a bunch of connector problems. My girlfriend's car, a 2008 Malibu, had the brake lights coming on while cruising down the highway and at the same time the criuse control would disengage. Then you'd step on the brake pedal and the lights would go out, then come on again a few seconds after you released the brake pedal. The brake lights seemed to work backwards and I felt it was very dangerous. Also, it would suddenly downshift from 6th to 4th gear for no apparent reason. On my trip to New Mexico last fall I saw two other Malibus of the same vintage with the same problem. Took it in to the dealer and they wanted $300 just to take a look at it. I disconnected and reconnected the BCM connector several times, and the problem hasn't shown up again in the past 4 months. That simple thing fixed ALL the problems. It used to happen virtually every time we took it out, but it was a little intermittent.

My 2003 Silverado gauges wouldn't power up, or would only power up when it got warm inside the truck. I already had the instrument cluster replaced once due to the bad stepper motor problem. I checked fuses, etc and found nothing. So I finally took the instrument cluster out and checked the soldered connections that I was told could be a problem in the cluster. I found nothing, but I reconnected it and it hasn't happened since. It also appears to be a connector problem, but it may be too early to tell.

Rick_L
03-27-2013, 04:55 PM
You would do well to get a service manual for your vehicle. If you don't want to buy one, go to a public library, they probably won't have a factory manual but they will have generic service manuals.

Sure sounds like you have a BCM problem or a harness connector problem at the BCM. All those sensors don't go bad at once.

chevynut
03-27-2013, 07:55 PM
I would unplug all of the BCM connectors, and plug them in and out a few times. The contacts get oxidized because of the poor plating they're using on their connectors. GM is obviously skimping on the quality of their connectors, and it's causing lots of problems. I filed a complaint with Chevrolet about my girlfriend's car and threatened to contact the NTSB if they didn't issue a recall or do something to fix the problems with her car. Pontiac issued a RECALL for the EXACT SAME PROBLEM that her car had. I got a response from a Chevrolet customer service rep and had some dialogue about the issue, and said that if I couldn't fix it per the Pontiac recall and TSB I would get back with them. Since I fixed it, I haven't pursued it further.

But I told the Chevrolet rep who called me that this problem is because they skimp in connector quality and reliability. I was an engineering manager for interconnect reliability for Hewlett-Packard for 6 years, and I was responsible for interconnect reliability of components used in our high end servers. This included connectors, ASICs, microprocessors, and memory devices. What Chevy is doing is trying to cut a few cents off of each connector resulting in these contact issues that cost us $150 just to diagnose at the dealer. This is a big problem and with cars having so many computers and connectors these days and they should not be skimping in that area. I don't know if they've wised up or not, but I hope they've addressed the issues.

reborn55
03-27-2013, 08:06 PM
I have done everything all the TSB's say to do---clean and redo ground, check and clean contacts, check fuses. Still the same problem. Can't see both speed sensors going bad at the same time so from what I have read, searched and found I am leaning toward getting the EBCM rebuilt if I can get it off. Have the service manual but not too much help. My new scan tool is not compatible with software for Ford IDS on laptop to I have to wait for IT to get me a dedicated alptop to the Bosch unit.
thanks

Rick_L
03-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Cnut, do you have any evidence that we should be using an earlier version of connector (aftermarket but OEM style) on our cars? I.e., are the aftermarket later style connectors worse than earlier ones? I.e., "GT" (Y2000 -up) style vs. "Metripack" (90s) vs. "Weatherpack" (80s). Or are old style connectors now degraded to the latest (low) standards? For all I know the GT may not be the latest style either.

Reborn55, sounds like you already had done what I suggested. You have to wonder about whether it's worth the cost to fix on a 99. But you can't hardly not fix it.

reborn55
03-27-2013, 08:19 PM
If I weigh the cost of replacing the front hubs/sensors to having the EBCM rebuilt the module is the less expensive more probable problem. The truck is still super nice/only a little over 100,000 miles on it. Only drive 15 miles a day back and forth to work for about 4-5 more months. I might even live with the lights coming on periodically--really no effect on the brakes except no ABS. Wife wants meto trade it in and buy a retirement truck, but her k2011 Acadia is almost paid off and I might just put the money into a new toy. we shall see

Thanks again

chevynut
03-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Rick I don't know a lot about the OEM GM connectors, other than I know they have been problematic. I really believe reborn55 has a connector issue, and not a BCM or sensor issue, but I wouldn't rule those out. My suspicion comes from experience with my truck and my GFs car. I also can't see the sensors going out at the same time, so there must be something common to them. They probably both have ground and power that are sourced from the same place, and they probably both go to the same connector. I thought these vehicles had a separate ABS computer. BTW, what is "EBCM"?

chevynut
03-27-2013, 09:15 PM
OK I got it....ECBM = Electronic Brake Control Module. :)

Don't know if this will help:

http://www.absfixer.com/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBCM-ABS-MODULE-CHEVROLET-GM-GMC-TRUCK-SUV-REBUILD-REPAIR-SERVCIE-99-00-01-02-03-/390385968845?pt=Automotive_Services&hash=item5ae4d126cd&vxp=mtr

Diagnostic Aids
C0265
An intermittent DTC C0265 may be caused by a problem in the battery positive voltage circuit wiring or connection to the EBCM.
Thoroughly inspect connections or circuitry that may cause an intermittent malfunction. Inspect for the following:

Backed out terminals
Improper mating
Broken locks
Corrosion
Improperly formed or damaged terminals
Poor terminal-to-wiring connections
Physically damaged wiring
Wiring broken inside the insulation

reborn55
03-28-2013, 05:18 AM
From what I have researched, and diagnosed so far all points are leading to EBCM--Electronic Brake Control Module---seems vibration and the elements sometimes will have an effect on the unit which is mounted on the frame rail under drivers door. Simultaneous codes and intermittent and multiple warning light appearance also are signs of module failure. Will keep you posted