PDA

View Full Version : The stock seats sit too high...

RickBuonauro
04-11-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm 6'2" and I sit pretty high in my lowered '55. Does anyone ever lower their stock seats an inch or two. I had to remove the sun visor to get just a little more visability out my front windshield.

chevynut
04-12-2013, 10:39 AM
I think that's going to be hard to do with a stock seat. I believe it may be as low as it can go due to the tranny hump. If you want lower seats, you may have to go with buckets or some other thinner bench seat.

Rick_L
04-12-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm afraid Chevynut is right. A stock seat frame does not clear the tunnel by much. Plus if you look at the seat frame/adjusters, there's not a significant opportunity to chop on that even if the tunnel wasn't a problem.

Glide seats have a bit less padding so they may sit lower. Of course that's also a complaint about them, not enough padding. Glide can probably tell you how high their seat cushion is relative to a stock seat.

The Chrysler buckets I'm putting in mine will go lower than a stock seat and not hit the floor. With buckets, you also have an opportunity to lower the seat a bit. The seat mounts in my car have a 1.5" spacer on the outside and a 1/4" spacer on the inside, due to the difference in floor pan height. If I had installed the seat without a spacer on the outside, and with a "channel" cut in the floor to level the seat on the inside, mine could have been 1-1/2" lower.

I saw a guy driving a 55 2dr ht while I was out at lunch this week. I don't know what he had for a seat, or how big or tall has was (he looked big), but you couldn't see his head from the side of the car. He definitely needed the help you're looking for!

Run-em
04-12-2013, 09:52 PM
You might shim the front legs on the seat up to create a little more tilt back of the seat. That would give you more head room, but don't know if it would allow you to see out better.