PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Rack & Pinion?

RickBuonauro
04-11-2013, 09:46 PM
I have a '55 that's loose in the steering. I've replaced the ball joints and had it aligned. But still there's a undesireable amount of play in the steering. The rack and pinion by Danchuk seems reasonably priced at about $650. But I'm concerned that may be too low of quality. When it's time for an upgrade to rack and pinion, is there a preferred brand and reasonable price range?

Run-em
04-12-2013, 03:36 AM
The stock recirculating ball steering box has an external adjustment to help remove slack. That might aid in removing some play.

NickP
04-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Any R&P change comes with a special set of circumstance and consiquences - it's a matter of the "THREE" syndrome. Change one item and it affects three others. Oil Pan, Headers, Suspension. Make certain you do your homework and research all items associated with the change regardless of the feedback you obtain here or other places.

JMHO

markm
04-12-2013, 07:40 AM
I would bolt on a CPP 500 box if it was mine.

chevynut
04-12-2013, 08:09 AM
There's a lot fewer joints in a R&P setup than any steering box with the stock steering linkage. Every slightly loose joint can add to the feeling of looseness due to wear. Plus I believe a rack and pinion can give you a higher steering ratio than a box can. Even a new box can cause header interference and other problems.

There are downsides, as Nick mentioned. I think most racks will decrease steering radius slightly as they typically don't have as much range of travel unless you change the steering arms for shorter ones. Some of the rack setups are designed better than others. Keep in mind that it's not just the rack you have to change, it's the steering shaft and u-joints too, and possibly the column. Then the question is will it all clear your headers. It can snowball on you.

Rick_L
04-12-2013, 08:54 AM
You are typically going to need shorter steering arms both for travel and to get the steering ratio to what you expect. And there's the potential of exhaust system clearance problems, also the oil pan as suggested.

A CPP500 box is cheaper and more straightforward.

I would only go to a rack if it's part of a suspension package like a C4 Corvette suspension conversion or something similar. If you're stick with the stock suspension, go with the gearbox rather than a rack.

Maddog
04-12-2013, 01:17 PM
You are typically going to need shorter steering arms both for travel and to get the steering ratio to what you expect. And there's the potential of exhaust system clearance problems, also the oil pan as suggested.

A CPP500 box is cheaper and more straightforward.

I would only go to a rack if it's part of a suspension package like a C4 Corvette suspension conversion or something similar. If you're stick with the stock suspension, go with the gearbox rather than a rack.

Absolutely, trying to retrofit a stock 55/57 with a R&P kit isn't a good way to go, the rear steer just isn't ideal for a R&P. Either do the Borgenson PS box or do an entire C4 frame. I prefer the up dated Borgenson PS box.