PDA

View Full Version : Prices all over the field, no standardization,,,,opinion wanted

Run-em
04-13-2013, 05:47 AM
Seems everyone has their best combo of options, parts, no standardization of parts (e.g.-all mig .030 wire is standardized), sizes, cut rates, no standard elements, prices all over the field, as are guarantees....

Ok Guys...I'm looking for a good dependable plasma cutter. Kinda recommended towards a hypertherm unit, BUT WHAT ARE YOUR CHOICES & SUGGESTIONS?

chevynut
04-13-2013, 08:39 AM
I have a Miller Spectrum 375 Cutmate and I've been using it pretty hard for years with no problems. I have never used any other plasma cutter so I can't really comment on them. There is a really nice, small version of the 375 Cutmate available now called the 375 Cutmate Extreme that has the same specs, but it a lot smaller. IMO I would NOT get one with a built in compressor because I can't imagine that you could get enough air flow to do a good job with it.

But it depends a lot on your intended usage. Mine will cut 3/8" steel but 99% of my cutting is on steel no thicker than 3/16". Make sure you can get the consumables easily too.