PDA

View Full Version : More Nomad interior progress.

chevynut
05-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I've been working on my Nomad interior when I have time. A while ago I built the rear seat structure, and then some armrests out of aluminum.
I have an interior guy who's been working on my door panels and I'm doing most all of the construction. He's going to do all the leather stitching and cover everything, and install the headliner and carpeting.

Since the tubs protrude into the rear seat area, I had to make provisions to attach the leather to the seat back, while leaving a space between the seat back cushion and the tub. I have seen this done using fiberglass, but I had a brainstorm and decided to use a piece of another identical tub.

I cut the front of the tubs out of the 56 4-door sedan I have.

Then I cleaned them up and trimmed them a little so they would fit over the tubs in my Nomad.

Next, I attached some 1/2" spacer blocks to the backside of the piece, so they would space the tub section away from my Nomad tubs, to allow for some foam and leather.

I found that I needed to add some width to them, since my tubs are 4" wider than stock and the armrests are only about 2 1/4" wide at the top.

So I welded some metal to the edges

I forgot to get pics of the finished welds. :)
Then I had to trim the plywood seat backs so they would fit the new metal pieces.

I had to attach the metal to the plywood somehow, so I made some attachment flanges and screwed them to the plywood seat backs, laying some tabs over the tub section.

I checked the fit of everything, then marked the location of the attachment flange.

Finally, I spot-welded the attachment flange tabs to the tub section. Then I trimmed the excess metal from the backside.

This is how it all looks when finished. My interior guy will trim the wood and metal to get the exact gaps that he wants everywhere. They will be covered with foam and leather on front, and the back will be covered in leather. The side bolsters will hide the tubs so you won't see them at all. None of the steel or plywood will show and the seat bottoms and backs will be removable. I plan to paint the pieces before they're covered.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
05-03-2013, 06:12 AM
nice progress, will be looking forward to more. :) .............. :confused: what you do after lunch?

chevynut
05-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Thanks Carl, I did all of this after lunch. ;)

567chevys
05-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Looks Nice are you going to try to make kits to sell ? what did you do after dinner :D

chevynut
05-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Sid, no kits for this. I worked through dinner. :)

Run-em
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Laszlo, you amaze us all!

567chevys
05-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Looks very Nice ,

Old car with new style only way to go !!

smooth 56
05-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Lot of work there but you'r retired rite lol. Look's really good Chevy,glad you got some time to work on the 56.

NickP
05-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Interesting design, economical for certain and a quick build too! But, honestly Laszlo, I think they may be a bit uncomfortable, just sayin............................................. ................................... :)

chevynut
05-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Nick, they shouldn't be uncomfortable. The seat back foam will be about 4" thick in the back, and the bolsters will make it 5-6" thick. These tub sections are only about 3" front to back. And they are only on the sides of the seat back. I can sit in them now with some cushions over them and they're not uncomfortable. There's not much else I can do with my tubs and I have already moved my rear seat forward a couple of inches to minimize the tub interference. It's further forward than a sedan rear seat, but not as far forward as a HT rear seat. How else would you deal with this?

I don't plan to have many back-seat passengers anyhow. Interiors By Shannon did a similar thing on a Nomad he did and I think it turned out awesome. He even has the seat further back than mine and the tubs seems to protrude into the seat area as much or more.

chevynut
05-05-2013, 09:14 PM
By the way.....my interior guy said he thought they were going to work out great! ;)

This week I plan to start building the console. I have determined that I can install a 2-DIN touchscreen stereo in the console under my dash, so that's probably what I'm going to do. Trying to decide if I should go with NAV or not. Found screaming local deals on Kenwood and Alpine head units. The Kenwood with NAV is only $90 more than the Alpine with no NAV, but I'm not sure if I really need/want NAV in my Nomad. I would never use it in my Porsche, and I'll probably drive the Nomad about the same amount. My son bought the Kenwood for his truck, and he's loving it.

NickP
05-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Nick, they shouldn't be uncomfortable. The seat back foam will be about 4" thick in the back, and the bolsters will make it 5-6" thick. These tub sections are only about 3" front to back. And they are only on the sides of the seat back. I can sit in them now with some cushions over them and they're not uncomfortable. There's not much else I can do with my tubs and I have already moved my rear seat forward a couple of inches to minimize the tub interference. It's further forward than a sedan rear seat, but not as far forward as a HT rear seat. How else would you deal with this?

I don't plan to have many back-seat passengers anyhow. Interiors By Shannon did a similar thing on a Nomad he did and I think it turned out awesome. He even has the seat further back than mine and the tubs seems to protrude into the seat area as much or more.

FOAM!!!! Ah-ha, now I know why my seats are uncomfortable! :) In all seriousness, I think it looks splendid so far. Who is going to do the stiching?

chevynut
05-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Nick, somehow you need to let us know when you're being sarcastic. LOL! Yes, there will be foam over them.

The guy doing my interior is Larry McDaniel from the Denver area. He's been doing interior work for about 40 years now, and is a one-man shop. He's done work for Pinkees and several other high-end shops in the area, but isn't that well known since he keeps busy and keeps a low profile. A lot of his work is for corporate aviation customers. I went down to see his shop a couple months ago when I was picking up a frame, and looking at a 57 I wanted to buy (the one that got away). He was working on a '33 Ford and a '48 Anglia at the time and I was impressed. He's very meticulous and uses the best materials. After my visit he came up and took a look at what my son and I do, and we hammered out a deal. He has a daughter who lives in Ft. Collins so he comes up every 2 weeks. We have agreed on exchanging labor....we build a custom C4 frame for his '55 and he does my Nomad interior. Hope it works out the way I want it to. I already know I will owe him some money at the end but hopefully I can keep that to a minimum. He estimated around $20K (6 hides at around $1000 each and ~250 hours of labor) for my interior, but I'm not sure if that included some of the structural work I've been doing myself. I figure these tub covers I just built saved me around $1000 in labor. I want to have no regrets on my paint and interior.

So far we've only prepped his frame and k-member, and have started working on his AME center section a little. I'm providing the seamless frame for the project and he's providing the early C4 suspensions that he's had for a while. We're finishing up a couple of other C4 projects right now, then we will do some work on his frame. We are narrowing the rear of the frame and building new rear humps to allow the car to be lower in the rear while accommodating a narrowed C4 Dana 44 with a Viper batwing. And although I've warned him, he wants the front end a little lower than our standard 3" suspension drop.

Larry and I seem to have a lot in common so we enjoy talking about our history. Hopefully this will turn out to be a great experience for both of us.

NickP
05-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Nick, somehow you need to let us know when you're being sarcastic. LOL! Yes, there will be foam over them.

[quote]Interesting design, economical for certain and a quick build too! But, honestly Laszlo, I think they may be a bit uncomfortable, just sayin............................................. ................................... :-)[/qoute]

Maybe it should have winked at you instead........................................... ................;) LOL