PDA

View Full Version : 56 Project

CHKYWUKY
05-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Hey All, I took Bams advice and started a new thread on my 56 chevy short bed pro street project.Here's some more pics of the work the po has done and theres a lot of parts I have to organize.I have learned that the po bought this truck from a guy out in the dessert so the rust is in one spot[pas side lower hinge cover. The po has been fabing on it for the past 10 years or so I think.The motor is a 496 skat stroker crank probe forged pistons lunati cam oval port heads with rollers with a th400 tranny.What im planning on doing is to get this thing put together and running and then take it back apart knowing everything works good and then have it painted and do the interior.Since I've never done something of this caliber [complete frame off build] I'm a little skeptical of my abilities.The truck has a new corvette brake master and booster mounted and a Lincoln versaills? disk brake rear end with the 4 link and part of the lower shock mounts installed on the housing.I installed the upper coilover mounts but still need to fab up the rest of the lower mounts.The motor is mounted up a little high but the distributor[hei] can be removed and installed[thank god]. The pas side valve cover is about an 8th inch away from the fire wall with only about 2 deg motor tiltback.Well there's a lot more to say but I'll let you guys off early tonite,Please chime in and tell me what you think good and bad. Thanks, Chuck

BAM55
05-17-2013, 10:24 PM
So glad to see you started a build thread. Thanks buddy.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
05-18-2013, 06:11 AM
nice project chuck, your doing good. :) .............. :confused: what you do after lunch?

CHKYWUKY
05-22-2013, 07:41 PM
I stitch welded a 3/16 steel plate to the outside of the notch on both sides of the frame.Well I did one side and my oldest son did the other, I wont say who did which side.This weekend we'll finish it up and start on the forward link mounts.Gotta get some steel for the crossmember and some more 3/4" grade 8 heim joint hardware.

BAM55
05-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Come on man tells us who did what welding.lol Keep the pics coming buddy.

smooth 56
05-24-2013, 05:13 AM
Look's good Chuck glad to see a nother build going on. Look's like I'm going to have to update my build lol.

CHKYWUKY
06-03-2013, 09:52 PM
I went a little over kill on this.I was surpised that it fit.All I needed was a 1\4 inch shim between the tranny mount and crossmember to get the passenger side valve cover to miss the fire wall and I have 3 degrees tilt on the motor.NOW can one of you guys please tell me the easy way to remove that brake pedal Pictured. I want to remove the cab this weekend and it has to come off.I know stupid question Buuttt

BAM55
06-04-2013, 09:24 AM
If you are trying to remove the arm of the brake pedal see if this helps you.
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/techarticles/0606cct_1956_chevy_truck/photo_07.html

CHKYWUKY
06-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks Bam,I guess you just pound it out with a brass hammer.