PDA

View Full Version : Not much of an update

Bakins
05-19-2013, 01:48 PM
I've been traveling a good bit lately and working a ton of hours in general. I think I've decided to hire out some of the work on my car. My wife is tired of parking in the driveway and I really haven't made much progress. I'm teaching myself to weld, but I still do not trust my self enough to do sheet metal work, yet. I'm thinking of getting someone to finish the floors, trunk, rockers, and wheel wells - basically the sheet metal of the "main" part of the body. Once that's done I can do most of the "insert tabe A into slot B" type of stuff. I'd like to do it all myself, but its time to face reality - I'm never going to make any progress unless I get some help.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
05-19-2013, 05:49 PM
sounds like a plan.

Run-em
05-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Everyone needs help! Be it from the reading & studying the processes of car building in order to do it oneself or by being good at making the decisions involved in the build. Sounds like you've made one to hurry your project along. Enjoy the ride.

chevynut
05-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Sometimes you just have to give in and let someone else do the work. As much as I like to do the work on my car, there have been times when I've considered doing the same thing in the past. Once you pick someone for the job, post some progress pictures. Good luck!

567chevys
05-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Yep
That's what I will end of doing , Way to busy at work to even open the shop doors , It's starting to get nice out so I wil have to make some time since the days are getting longer.

Sid

Bakins
07-27-2013, 07:15 AM
Finally updating. Site kept kicking me out and I kept having to reset password, so I'd always say I'd update later...

Everyone I talked to want $1000+ to just do my floor. doing the outer rockers was going to be $3-500. FWIW, I learned a good bit talking to folks who do this all the time, so I guess I got some free advice. Anyway, I decided to tackle this myself. I cleaned the garage out so I have more room to work, and that took loner than I'd hoped.

So old floor is out. Had more rust in toe boards than I'd thought. PO had welded pieces of sheet metal here and there - like 1/8" thick! The firewall at the tunnel is literally the only place on the front and sides of the car that had good metal near the floor - outer rockers and inner quarters are all swiss cheese at the floor. Currently held in place with sheetmetal screws.

Going to try to get doors all lined up, etc, before doing the outer rockers (part of the free advice I got). Should I do the toe boards before or after that? I need to replace the bottom 3 inches or so on both of them. I was thinking after as I'd be sure everything would be lined up, but I may be over thinking it.

chevynut
07-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Personally I would do the toe boards first, then the floor, then the outer rockers. Glad to see you're tackling it yourself, and it's not really that hard to do. I think once you're done and add up all your time you'll find out that $1000 wasn't really that bad, but you saved it for something else and learned along the way.

Bakins
07-28-2013, 04:31 AM
Personally I would do the toe boards first, then the floor, then the outer rockers.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, labor wise, $1000 seems cheap now, but I need the money and the experience ;)

The curves of the toe boards and the floor don't match so well - sherman toe boards, GS floor.

I have some pics that I need to post, but the lower inner quarters are gone on the drivers side and the B-pillar brace will probably need removing to get that area to replace metal.

I swear - if rust was worth anything...

chevynut
07-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Maybe I should elaborate how I would (did!) do this. First, I'd remove the old floor. Then I would clean up all the mating flanges, and repair anything that needed repair. I would then put the new floor in, but only temporarily with clamps and/or screws. Then I would fit the toe boards and tack them in place. I would also check the doors to make sure everything fits like it's supposed to every step of the way.

Once you have the toe boards and floors fitted like you want, do the final welding on the toe boards. You may have to remove the floor to do this more easily. Next, I'd drill all the plug weld holes in the floor flanges, and re-install the floor where you had it before. Then I would weld it in place permanently. It should include the inner rockers.

Once the floor is in, cut the outer rockers out and replace them. It may get a little complicated in the front but it can be done. And I'm pretty sure this is the order the factory assembled the car in.

Good luck, and post some pics of your progress! Once you're finished with the floor, you will look at your car and have a huge sense of accomplishment.