PDA

View Full Version : Power vent windows

chevynut
05-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Guys, I'd like to get rid of my vent window cranks to clean up my door panels. I kinda want to keep my vent windows, since it's a fairly difficult thing to eliminate them on a Nomad and I sorta like the looks of them anyhow. Have any of you put power vent windows in your cars? What motors did you use? I know Danchuk and others have kits to do this, but it seems like $400 is an awful lot of money for a simple setup like this. Do any OEM motors work?

Rick_L
05-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Some late 50s/early 60s Caddys had power vent windows. They motor/mechanism from those bolts right in to a 55-57. The kits you can buy emulate those OEM pieces.

Years ago I had a guy tell me that an 82-88 Chevy pickup power window motor could be adapted to a 55-57 door regulator. I think the key thing there is a pinion with the same pitch and tooth count as the stock regulator. I don't know why that wouldn't apply to the vent window also. I thought a bit about what I was told and finally abandoned the idea. You can only invent so many wheels on one project.

Bluegrass Trifive
05-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Guys, I'd like to get rid of my vent window cranks to clean up my door panels. I kinda want to keep my vent windows, since it's a fairly difficult thing to eliminate them on a Nomad and I sorta like the looks of them anyhow. Have any of you put power vent windows in your cars? What motors did you use? I know Danchuk and others have kits to do this, but it seems like $400 is an awful lot of money for a simple setup like this. Do any OEM motors work? At the SEMA Show this year I saw some nice looking power units for the vents. If I remember right they were advertised to fit from 55 up through the mid 60s or so. The company's name was Nu-relics. WWW.NU-RELICS.com. Might be worth a visit. I don't remember how much they were I just remember thinking I would probably get them. Hope this helps you.

chevynut
05-25-2013, 08:03 PM
I found some 58-64 Impala vent window motors but they're going for as much as the kits! I searched on some other motors and could probably make something else work, but like you said, " You can only invent so many wheels on one project" and I gotta get this car finished. ;)

chevynut
05-25-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure I see how any of these are a bolt-in like they claim. The bolt holes aren't even in the same place! Danchuk and CCI say "The power window motors bolt in place of your existing vent window regulators." MAYBE if you drill new holes! :eek:

http://nu-relics.com/catalog_power_vents.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-1957-chevrolet-power-vent-window-kit-/230574969831?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item35af56d3e7&vxp=mtr

http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/08/07/ed8a_3.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/55-56-57-CHEVROLET-BELAIR-CONVERTIBLE-NOMAD-PONTIAC-VENT-WINDOW-REGULATORS-PAIR-/00/s/ODQ3WDE2MDA=/$(KGrHqF,!n0FCr)VQf9gBQ7,2cII2w~~60_57.JPG

Aussienomad
05-29-2013, 12:01 AM
I have early '60's Caddy power vents in my '57 Nomad. As Rick mentioned they bolt straight in. There is a bit of casting flash along the edge that bolts up against the door - grind off that flash and they fit perfectly. I got mine a long time back when they were a reasonable price. Actually was in the early '90's as I submitted the photos to All Chevy magazine and they ran the article in the October 1994 issue.
At the time I did mine I also had a pair of power vents from a '65 Caddy. They had a sort of "extension" cast in where they mount to the door. We figured they might work OK if you deleted the recessed area in the door.

Cheers, Des

chevynut
05-29-2013, 05:27 AM
Des, thanks for the info. But I'm still not seeing how these are a bolt-in. Take a look at the stock tri5 vent window regulator above, and compare to this 60-64 power window motor below. The stock tri5 ones have screws coming down from the top, and a different bolt pattern. How can they bolt right in? The aftermarket ones I showed in the pic above look like the original GM one below. I contacted the seller of the aftermarket kit, and he said the Tri5 motors are the same as the later GM ones....I am missing something, I guess. :(

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1960-61-62-63-1964-GM-CHEVY-NOS-Left-VENT-WINDOW-MOTOR-/00/s/MzY2WDQyMg==/$(KGrHqV,!oEFCyPWfZ7MBQtd,LeRlw~~60_12.JPG

races14
05-29-2013, 09:27 AM
I should have the instructions from when I put mine in. I can scan them tonight if that might help you.

Allen

races14
05-29-2013, 04:48 PM
They do bolt right in after drilling 2 holes!!!

Allen

chevynut
05-29-2013, 09:33 PM
They do bolt right in after drilling 2 holes!!!

Allen

That's what I thought Allen! The bolt pattern didn't look right to me, but they say it "bolts in place of your stock regulator" as if there's no modification required. Did you get the aftermarket kit or did you use some original GM ones? I was told you should remove the sliding latch to use the motors...seems like a good idea. Are you happy with the way they work?

BTW, what do the two vertical screws on top of the stock regulator attach to? It's been so long since I removed mine I can't remember.

races14
05-30-2013, 06:19 AM
I used the kit from Danchuk. I have had no problem with them and I do use them a lot!! I prefer the fresh air to a/c when driving!! I have the locks because I bought new vent frames and they were already on them. You just have to make sure they don't get locked!!!

I don't remember what the 2 screws are for. That was 9 years ago!!!!!

Allen

Aussienomad
05-30-2013, 04:58 PM
OOPs - looked at the photos from when I installed mine. Thought those 2 holes line up, but I was wrong - well it was about 20 years ago. :) I'll see if I can post the photos from that article. The 2 upper screws attach to a bracket at the bottom of the vent window.

Cheers, Des

Rick_L
05-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Mystery solved, I think. You just need that extra bracket. I'm sure you could make one easily.

chevynut
05-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks Des, that really helps. Thanks for all the input guys! Looks like I have some more things to buy now. :)

chevynut
05-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Well CRAP! Right after I staarted this thread in 2013 I went to Goodguys in Spokane in August 2013 and bought a pair of power vent window motors for around $165 from Auto City Classic. The other day I figured I'd install them and get the holes drilled and brackets made, and I took the motors out of the boxes. I didn't notice this before, but BOTH of them are for the RIGHT SIDE!!! The boxes say "left" and "right" but one of them is wrong! :(

Now I have to see if I can return one of them for exchange. I hope they don't want to see the receipt. :mad:

chevynut
03-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Kudos to Auto City Classic! I called them about my vent window motors both being for the right side, and explained that I picked them up at Goodguys Spokane in August 2013. They told me no problem and I sent one of them back and they sent me a new left side motor. That's the way things should work when you have an issue with a part.

chevynut
08-16-2017, 11:35 AM
A little over a year later and I finally installed my power vent window motors. It was one of the few things left on my "to do list" before paint.

The first thing you have to do to install these things is grind down the casting so the motor sits flush on the inside of the door. Here's before and after doing that. The articles call it "casting flash" but it's actually part of the casting shape.

Next since I didn't buy a kit to do this, only the motors, I made a template out of cardboard to help me locate the holes.

Here's how the holes aligned on my Nomad.....

After locating and drilling the holes I installed the motors. Not too bad of a job, when it's all done. :)