PDA

View Full Version : C4 in a tri5 truck

chevynut
05-28-2013, 05:25 PM
I know there are 2 series of trucks for '55, a "first series" and a "second series". The second series frames are the same from late 1955 to 1957. The first series are from 1947 to early 55.

I have been getting a lot of requests to do C4 conversions on Tri5 trucks but have been turning them down. I'm kinda thinking that I want to design a conversion, but I thought there were already several companies doing these. I don't plan to do full new frames, because as usual I'm trying to hit the low end of the market where guys want their stock frame with C4 components on them.

Do you guys know who all is doing these frames? I know Flat Out Enginnering also sells kits to add to a stock frame, but some guys can't handle that kind of work.

Also, would the suspension have to be narrowed like Flat Out does? I looked at the body specs and they seem to be wide enough for a C4 setup. I had a guy call me today that has a 55 Cameo with a Chrysler torsion bar suspension and he says he wants to re-do it because it's so ugly. He said the engine has to be offset to the passenger side because of the steering box. So I'm getting interested in looking at this as another offering.

Thanks for any info or suggestions/comments.

CLASSIC EDGE Designs, LLC
Fort Collins, CO

Rick_L
05-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Putting a frame clip on either one is very common. Common ones are a Mustang II, early Camaro/Nova, and 2nd gen Camaro. There are many variations of the Mustang II, some with no Mustang II parts but using the basic dimensions.

I don't have any detailed dimensions on either frame, but it would seem that the basic design of your C4 clip would be fairly easily adapted. Some pieces to adapt to the frame rails and some frame extensions to mount the bumpers would be the big items.

I think both frames are a simple bent up channel shape.

chevynut
05-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks Rick. I looked at this briefly once and it seemed to me that the first series truck frame would present a challenge for an IRS because it's so wide in the rear. I think it's 46" wide, which is wider than the C4 dogbones. Seems to me the best way to do the rear would be to "backhalf" it and move the frame rails inboard or make new ones. The 2nd series trucks seem to have a narrower frame in the rear, 34" wide, which would make it easy to install the C4 rear....I think. The guy with the 55 Cameo has a spare frame he's going to bring me (he's local) so I can see what would need to be done.