PDA

View Full Version : drop spindles

reborn55
05-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Back to square one. Could not find a GOOD set of stock spinldles (really don't like buying used for brakes/suspension) for wife's coupe---76 Nova sub frame. friend has some McGauhy 2 inch drop spindles. Was worried about rubbing of control arm or anything else before I buy them. am running 15x6 Chrome rally wheels with 4 inch backspacing and 205-70r radials.(had fender clearance problem with 7 inch wheels etc.) Everything fits well and no clearance problem. Tryng to figure out if this combo will work. Called company and one guy says wheels will hit caliper the other guy said no problem as long as I am using sotck brake system(which I am going to do) . don't want to buy and put on and find i have a clearance problem..Been a month up in the air with her car--55 is getting closer to firing up but not yet. Wife is getting impatient as Hot Rod Reunion is just around the corner. Thanks

chevynut
05-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Why is it so hard to find a good set of stock spindles for a 76 Nova? I had lots of them for 55-57 Chevys and sold almost all of them. I don't udnerstand the hesitation to buy used ones.

Can't help you on the dropped spindles except I would think the control arm would be less of an issue with the dropped spindle than the stock one. Why would anything hit anything? The brakes move up with the spindle and the Nova had 15 inch wheels too.

Are you concerned about the TIRE hitting the fender, or what exactly is your concern? I can't imagine the wheel hitting the calipers.

reborn55
05-30-2013, 10:54 AM
I tried every local yard within 50 miles of my house and had numerous club members look for a good set of spindles. that covered a couple stae area. The front steer novas are not as plentiful as older years around here and a lot of the yards have gotten rid of their earlier stuff. EPA/state of Ill. had something to do with that. I do not like to buy used steering components sight unseen--may get worse than what I have. fender clearance is not the problem. Had a 48 delivery few years back the the 15 inch ralleys with 4 inch backspace rubbed the upper control arm when I installed them--had 17 inch Boyds on it at the time---put them back on. Just relaying what one of the techs at McGaughy said. Just covering all bases--like they say measure twice install once. Just trying to make sure it all fits the first time. Just replaced the wheels and tires thsi spring. Do not want to do again--waste of money

Run-em
05-31-2013, 05:49 PM
McGaughty's has 2 inch drop spindles on e-bay for $ 210.00.

reborn55
05-31-2013, 05:57 PM
Guy here has whole kit for 300. But according to McGaughy and a couple other they will not work with the wheels I ahve so I am going to search for some good used ones. thanks again