PDA

View Full Version : busy week

warren57
06-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Lets see, used my auction purchased brake bleeder and bled the brakes for the first time since installing front disk, power brake unit and all new lines. All went well, no drips and great pedal!
Finished installing heater and hoses. Filled new engine with water... leaking left front, couldn't see where so removed the serpentine stuff on left side, pinched water pump gasket, no leaks now, reinstalled serp. stuff.
Primed oil pump and rotated engine.
Set distributor.
Need to route spark plug wires, hook fuel line to pump, add fuel in new tank and start it up...

It's about time!

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
06-19-2013, 05:58 AM
nice going warren, getting excited I bet. :cool:

Run-em
06-19-2013, 06:10 AM
Bet you're just tingling with anticipation. Lots of the ladies don't understand men & their cars, but the build of a car is as close as we can get to the birthing process the women go through.

warren57
06-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Thought I had better tighten up the plugs to get ready, well of course there were a couple so close to the headers that a deep socket wouldn't work, neither would an open end wrench or boxed end wrench. Thought an offset boxed end might, fit on fine but no room to turn it.
So had to build a quickie. Sawed a shallow socket in half. this allowed the socket to fit over the plug and go through the shallow socket. Next welded the socket to an old open end wrench with a bit of off set. Worked perfectly. Then decided to use the other half of the socket and weld it to the opposite end of the wrench to allow the leverage of a ratchet if wanted.
Not very pretty, but worked great. All the plugs are tight, wires connected. Maybe finish up fuel tomorrow!!
SOON!

56-210Sedan
06-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Warren, what kind of brake bleeder did you end up buying? did it work good for you and can you tell more about it. is it one of the new phoenix systems i hear people talking about?

warren57
06-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Warren, what kind of brake bleeder did you end up buying? did it work good for you and can you tell more about it. is it one of the new phoenix systems i hear people talking about?

I ended up picking one up from a service station auction for $20. I'll post a pic tomorrow.
it is a round cylinder that has a flange that bolts two half's together in the center horizontally.
It has a diaphragm in the center that keeps fluid in one side and supplied air in the other. a schrader valve on the air side to add compressed air and a removable 1-1/2" plug on the fluid side for adding fluid. Fluid side also has a pressure gauge and a 1/4" hose connection that connects to your mc adapter plate.
Don't remember the manufacturer on it, but it worked awesome.