PDA

View Full Version : Advice sought: Rear spring mount re-positioning...

Run-em
06-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Anybody ever just move the rear spring mounts up (on the outside of the frame) to lower the rear of the car. There appears to be about 1 & 1/2 inch of clearance on the floor pan to move the front spring mount up. The rear I'll have to fab a strengthening body rib, trim away a little body brace, use a square to measure through the attachment points from the frame top, drill the new positions before removing the mounts, cut them free, reposition, and re-weld.

What are you Guys thoughts on this.

chevynut
06-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Yes, Chevy did that in '57. The front leaf spring holes in the 57 frame are higher than the ones in a 55-56 frame. I'll bet most people don't know that little bit of trivia. LOL! :)

I don't think it's as easy as just removing the mounts and re-welding them higher. The hole in front goes through the frame for access to the nut from the inboard side. You could weld a nut to the mount so you didn't have to access it. But the design of the bracket doesn't lend itself well to just moving it up. Maybe you could flip them from side to side or something like that.

The rear shackle mount goes over the top of the frame, so you would need some type of filler between it and the frame if you move it up. They are welded or riveted on the side and the top.

I think it's easier to just get de-arched or reverse-eye (I think that's what they're called) springs. You'll probably need to replace old springs anyhow.

Rick_L
06-19-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm with Chevynut here, there's little to be gained that you couldn't do with a new pair of lowering springs. And his comment about possibly needing new springs anyway is correct. About the only way you come out on this is if you already have some new or near new springs and have more time than money. Even then you have to weigh where your time is well spent.

It's not like you can do a bunch of lowering with this method anyway.

Run-em
06-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Springs are new, and have poly bushings in them. Amount that can be lowered this way measures out at 1 & 1/2 inches. Still thinking it over. Lots of work, but rear end is currently out of the car & I got to looking & thinking. Saw that I'd nave to add some box tubing to the frame top at the rear spring shackle mounts position.

Nick, want to chime in here?

sleeper55
07-04-2013, 10:53 AM
one word 4link lol