PDA

View Full Version : Paint codes?

slowfinger
08-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Haven't found the paint codes here? Maybe you could speed us up...What's a 1956 703 code for paint color? trim 581? Thankyou. Geo.

56-210Sedan
08-25-2013, 01:55 PM
703 Uppr body Harbor Blue, Lwr Body Nassau Blue Trim 581 Lt Blue Vinyl w/ Medium blue pattern cloth

slowfinger
08-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks 56 210 sedan, I just purchased a stripped out 56 chevy hardtop for not too much money. It will need some patches though and yes the tail pan is a mess! But 57 rustbucket .com has a great tutorial on body pannels. %6 builders are getting downright hard to find reasonable! I looked at one in Berwyn,Ill. that had a lot of cancer for $5000. My 56 chevy runs but needs a trans. Thinking an overdrive trans might be cool. We want to keep this car fairly stock. It does have a 1966 small block in it. We'll have to look up the numbers on it. Yes, this car was the blue one on e-bay with a broken window, reserve of 11,560 dollars! Made a deal with the guy.

chevynut
08-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Hearing stuff like this makes me glad i bought my virtually rust free 56 BelAir sedan when I did for 4900 almost 5 years ago. ;) I got a bunch of new parts wiith it too, as well as really nice original stuff that was all in dry storage for 20 plus years. It even has an engine and tranny. I prefer sedans but hardtops are nice too.

We should put a link to paint codes in the library.

slowfinger
08-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Chevynut, Didn't we have that in the library a few years ago? I remember using it, looking up a wagon delivery color.

slowfinger
08-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Hey, Does it retract from the value if you paint your chevy a diferent color than the paint code calls for? I was thinking black or bronz/biege colors? Geo.

56-210Sedan
08-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Hey, Does it retract from the value if you paint your chevy a diferent color than the paint code calls for? I was thinking black or bronz/biege colors? Geo.

In my opinion no, but on the other hand are you trying to keep it period correct (stock) or are you modifying it even slightly, there are many of us with trifives who do not wear the color are cars came with it is about what you like and what taste you are after JMHO

chevynut
08-26-2013, 07:58 AM

If you have a high-end stock restored car, yes it probably does detract from the value of it if it's not the stock color. But it depends on whether the color is a popular one or not. On a modified car, it doesn't matter. Nice modified cars tend to have a higher value than stock restored ones at almost any comparable quality level. I think this will always be the case, because nowadays people want cars that look old but drive like new ones. How many guys actually WANT a stock restored '32 Ford? The same applies to 55-57 Chevys. imo