PDA

View Full Version : engine running hot

stefan
09-05-2013, 08:17 PM
My 57 Chevy runs around 200-210 degrees after I drive it for about 25 minutes. It's got a 350 with the radiator in the 6 cyl position. I installed a 160 degree thermostat, a fan shroud, and took off the 5 blade flex fan that was on it and replaced it with an original 4 blade fan. I also closed all the areas where the air can get around the radiator. My friend who sold me the car said he had the radiator boiled out. It is a 3 core radiator. Oh and my fan blade is approximately 3 or 4 inches from my radiator. It already has a 3 1/2 inch spacer on it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get it to run a bit cooler? Thanks for all your input and help.

Stefan

chevynut
09-05-2013, 09:03 PM
First, verify the temperature is really as high as the gauge shows. What is the ambient temperature when it runs 200-210?

Next, a lower temperature thermostat won't solve an overheating problem. If it's opening all the way, don't mess with it.

Is your fan correctly positioned in the shroud? I think there are a lot better fans than the original one. If it really is overheating, and the radiator and thermostat are working like they're supposed to, you need to get more air through the radiator somehow. Got any pics of the engine and radiator we could look at to see if there are any clues?

Whatever you do, don't buy into the bogus crap about putting a restrictor in your coolant lines to "slow down" the flow so the heat can get out.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
09-06-2013, 05:51 AM
I would get a one of those cheap infrared thermometers and check the temps.

stefan
09-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys,

I'll try to verify the temps. Also do you think it would help if I put my old five blade flex fan back on or should I buy a 6 blade flex fan?

warren57
09-09-2013, 05:50 PM
v-belt or serpentine belt? Serpentine requires a reverse rotation blade, clutch and waterpump. Had a friend that made that mistake! You said you changed the original 4 blade, so I'm assuming you have v belt. Stock radiator? Sometimes that can be a issue with hiperf engines...

Rick_L
09-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Stefan, stay away from flex fans. And the stock 4 blade fan isn't the best either.

I would go with a 5 blade stock GM fan from a later model. These fans have a curved tip. And they move a lot more air than a flex fan or a stock fan. I would also recommend a thermal fan clutch. These are typically used on GM vehicles with the fan I'm recommending.

Next thing. Your fan should have half the blade inside the shroud and half outside, when looking at the side of the fan and shroud. The fan clutch is going to move your fan closer to the shroud and radiator. So it may all work out. But be prepared to move the shroud back toward the fan to get the fan half in/half out. Make a sheet metal spacer if needed.

Another way to go is to delete the mechanical fan and go with an aftermarket electric fan. A puller type mounted on the engine side of the radiator. But I would go with the mechanical setup for most applications.