PDA

View Full Version : Plastic dip

destroyertta
09-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Anybody ever use this plastic dip stuff from dipyourcar.com or any other site is it easy to spray does it damage the paint under it any feed back would be great thanks

chevynut
09-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Why do they call it "dip" when you spray it on? :confused:

Run-em
09-16-2013, 04:11 AM
Probably because you used to "dip" your tool handles in the stuff for better grip & rust protection.

Rick_L
09-16-2013, 11:43 AM
So what would you use it for, other than to refurbish your pliers handles? You must have something in mind.

Maddog
09-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Current trend is to paint entire car or more commonly paint wheels. This is used because it's removable and doesn't damage underlying finish.

destroyertta
09-16-2013, 04:33 PM
I was first thinking about doing it for a set of rims I had that I was thinking about putting on my truck the chrome was a little pitted so I was going to strip them and spray them black then I thought about doing my truck Matt black wondering how it was if I mess up I can just peel it off and do it again

Rick_L
09-16-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm not sure I get that. Why bother?

Maddog
09-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Common around here. Let's say you have a new Mercedes or BMW. Paint it satin black or other color, under $1000 but you can peel it off later. This way you have what you think you might want but still have the orig when it's time to sell. Rims are real common, you have a set of $2000 polished wheels, paint them black but peel it off later if desired. The satin look is not my thing but it's a big fad.

Tabasco
09-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Armor All has a product like that called Custom shield. Here is a link to their website. There are before and after photos and a video and a lot of other info. http://www.aacustomshield.com/

chevynut
09-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Here's one application that seems to make sense to me....a car bra. I don't know if it's shiny or not, but if it is it sure looks cheaper and easier than a $500 applied film car bra.

http://www.aacustomshield.com/specialized/car-bra.html

destroyertta
09-19-2013, 09:31 PM
That armor all product is basically the same thing you would need a lot of cans to do a crewcab pick up truck the kit comes with 7 gallons and the gun and some other stuff as well I think and they have all different colors if you want if I try it I am going to do the set of rims I have first and see how they come out then I will think about doing my truck

Rick_L
09-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Surfing the web today I saw another reference to this stuff. Never occurred to me. I guess even an old fart learns something every once in a while. Though I'm still into shiny stuff.

When I saw college football teams' helmets in satin finish last year I should have known I was behind.