PDA

View Full Version : Do it yourself bed liners

destroyertta
09-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Any one here know of any good do it yourself spray on Bed liner or should I just have it rhino lined but its 5-600 that just don't want to spend
a spray on or roll on is like a $100 just wondering if there any good thanks

Rick_L
09-20-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm not all that familiar with the product choices, but think about this. If you pay a guy $500-600 for this, first he's putting some money in his pocket. Second he's doing some prep that you could do. Third he has to do some masking that you can do. So he's not spending a lot on materials. He's doing it in an afternoon, including letting it dry enough before you pick it up. The only thing he has going cost wise is what he has to spend on the spray gun and a place to do it, which he spreads out over many jobs.

chevynut
09-21-2013, 07:14 AM
I think there are good do-it-yourself bedliners on the market. Some even come with the gun, or you can buy the gun cheap. I think HF sells guns for this pretty cheap. IMO if you get a good urethane product, it should last as long as a professionally applied job if you do the prep right. I helped my son-in-law re-do an MG floor a few years ago, and we painted the bottom of it with bedliner over epoxy primer. It turned out nice, and looked like a professional job. I don't think this is rocket science, and most of what you're paying for is labor as Rick said.

destroyertta
09-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Yea that's why I asked I was hoping that some one used a specific product or new of any that I should avoid I think I am more than capable to do it my self I thought there product might be better than the do it yourself thanks for the advise guys

BAM55
09-23-2013, 10:29 AM
I used the Raptor Liner and I like it just fine. Its my first time using it and its very easy to use and sprays great and was exactly what I was looking for. It dries fairly fast and looks good. It seems to be very durable also but like I said its my first time using it. I bought the 4 bottle kit, it comes with the hardener and the gun. I got mine on ebay.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8283/7712969494_c3cd891bd3.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8431/7712969188_8a49cc861a.jpg

Maddog
09-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Bam, how thick is the Raptor? I ask because the pro applied stuff is a full 1/4"

BAM55
09-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Bam, how thick is the Raptor? I ask because the pro applied stuff is a full 1/4"

Well I only applied two coats because I'm only using it on the bottom of my cab. It may be about 1/8 thick, maybe a little less but you can always apply more coats. Also the closer you are to the panel when you spray the more texture you get and the thicker it will be. So if I sprayed closer and more coats I'm sure I could get it pretty thick. But 1/4 is awfully thick.

Maddog
09-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Well I only applied two coats because I'm only using it on the bottom of my cab. It may be about 1/8 thick, maybe a little less but you can always apply more coats. Also the closer you are to the panel when you spray the more texture you get and the thicker it will be. So if I sprayed closer and more coats I'm sure I could get it pretty thick. But 1/4 is awfully thick.

I see. When they do a bed they apply it to 1/4" for durability in a bed.

Hawaiian
09-24-2013, 06:47 AM
Great stuff, "Raptor" liner kit, 4 bottle kit with hardener and a gun. $109.00 TP Tools 1-800-321-9260
:o

BAM55
09-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Great stuff, "Raptor" liner kit, 4 bottle kit with hardener and a gun. $109.00 TP Tools 1-800-321-9260
:o

Yeah I think so to. I'm very happy with it. I'm going to use it in my fenders wells also. Its very easy to use. You just add the hardener to the bottle shake it up, put the gun on the bottle and shoot. It does not get any easier than that. They also sale it in tintable form. If you know what color you are painting your ride you can add the color to the tintable raptor liner and shoot it.

chevynut
09-24-2013, 10:25 AM
I never understood how you can add your car's color to a bedliner and make it match your paint. Is the tintable version clear? Seems like you would have to add a lot of paint to make it anywhere close to matching your car.

BAM55
09-24-2013, 01:11 PM
I never understood how you can add your car's color to a bedliner and make it match your paint. Is the tintable version clear? Seems like you would have to add a lot of paint to make it anywhere close to matching your car.

I can only speak for the raptor liner I used.
There is a A and B fill points on the bottle. Point A is for hardener and point b is for base color. Shake bottle and spray. The raptor tintable liner is a cream color before you add color. Here are some pics I found of tinted liner applied.

This guy said he added 4 ounces of PPG base coat to each bottle
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5024/5583168870_023cb16bc2_b.jpg

Here are some more shots of tintable raptor liner.
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m607/mark99981/100_0181.jpg
http://jmcautoworx.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/2010-08-23-bed-liner-1.jpg

Maddog
09-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Bam, was there much overspray with that set up?

BAM55
09-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Bam, was there much overspray with that set up?

Not at all. I just taped off the areas I did not want it to reach and no over spray really due to the thickness of the material. Like I said its a very simple product to use.

CHKYWUKY
09-25-2013, 11:12 PM
One of my buddys suggested I do my frame with a rhino liner type stuff.What do you guys think? I think that under the cab looks great but the frame also,IDK.I'd like to see some pics of a frame done with that stuff.

BAM55
09-26-2013, 08:41 AM
One of my buddys suggested I do my frame with a rhino liner type stuff.What do you guys think? I think that under the cab looks great but the frame also,IDK.I'd like to see some pics of a frame done with that stuff.

Its all personal taste man. I would not bedliner a frame but that just me. I just epoxy primer my frames and top coat with a single stage satin black. I'm happy with that look.

destroyertta
09-26-2013, 08:41 AM
thanks guys for the info i guess if i want it real thick i will just do a buch of coats i will check out that raptor spray
bam did that kit cover the whole bottom side of the truck did you have any left over

BAM55
09-26-2013, 08:44 AM
thanks guys for the info i guess if i want it real thick i will just do a buch of coats i will check out that raptor spray
bam did that kit cover the whole bottom side of the truck did you have any left over

I have a bottle left over, but I covered the bottom with two coats and shot from a distance that gave me smoother texture than if I sprayed at a closer range.

warren57
09-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Bam, product looks great, but what about prep? I have a small trailer with diamond plate floor. Surface rusted of course.
Does the surface have to be super clean, like blasted or would wire brushing it be good?

BAM55
09-27-2013, 08:52 AM
I would not blast it. I would wire brush to remove the surface rust, clean with wax and grease remover, shoot two coats of epoxy and then shoot the raptor liner of that. I really believe in epoxy primer for corrosion protection.

Maddog
09-27-2013, 12:15 PM
I would not blast it. I would wire brush to remove the surface rust, clean with wax and grease remover, shoot two coats of epoxy and then shoot the raptor liner of that. I really believe in epoxy primer for corrosion protection.

If you leave any surface rust it will bubble down the road.

BAM55
09-27-2013, 02:29 PM
If you leave any surface rust it will bubble down the road.

Yes sir, I agree with you %100.

But when I say wire wheel I mean wire wheel.lol I wire wheel to clean shiny metal. I would wire wheel the surface rust off I think blasting is cool if you have a blaster and don't mind the clean up, but I've tried blasting at home and its simply not worth it for me. I send big stuff that is too much work to the blaster and every thing else I wire brush and if its stubborn I use phosphoric acid and get to shinny metal.

This is how I wire wheel.
From this
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/4815810920_1901413380.jpg
To this
http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7036/7085970781_1c8b28b083.jpg