PDA

View Full Version : Laying Line

CHKYWUKY
09-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I need to run this by you guys before I go out and buy the wrong stuff.I've included some pics of the parts allready installed on my truck and I want to stick with them to save some coin.First , What size and material type brake line should I buy and How much in length or[How To Measure] how much I need.Second ,Type of fittings and how many should I start out with to get me started or another way to put it Where do I start from , [Master or Wheel cyl.] Third , What tools should I buy for this job like benders cutters,shit like that Fourth , Am I missing anything? I know It's alot to ask and I have been looking and reading but I really need a lot of help cause I have bean reading, like I said, and some of the problems I read about I want to avoid If I can help it.Thanks in advance for the help.

Run-em
09-27-2013, 04:24 AM
Eastwood has some good bending tools for fuel/brake lines. You might run some electrical wire from position to position for the brake line, remove it, & measure for each individual line. Show truck? Go stainless lines. Street ride- regular lines will suffice. I'd start at the master cylinder and work my way out....but that is just preference. Stay away from any sources of heat on the lines such a exhaust that would expand the fluid in the line/degrade the brake fluid. I would go for the flex steel brake lines running to the individual cylinders/rear end....but that is just my preference again.....more immune to thrown road debris, etc. Do use an extra number of brake line/ frame clamps to avoid vibration & resulting line stress cracking. After you're up and running, be sure to change fluid at about every 2 years....that maintains a good safety margin-- to delay water in the system/corrosion. Do use the proper brake line wrenches to loosen/tighten the fittings--avoids rounding off the corners.

CHKYWUKY
09-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Eastwood has some good bending tools for fuel/brake lines. You might run some electrical wire from position to position for the brake line, remove it, & measure for each individual line. Show truck? Go stainless lines. Street ride- regular lines will suffice. I'd start at the master cylinder and work my way out....but that is just preference. Stay away from any sources of heat on the lines such a exhaust that would expand the fluid in the line/degrade the brake fluid. I would go for the flex steel brake lines running to the individual cylinders/rear end....but that is just my preference again.....more immune to thrown road debris, etc. Do use an extra number of brake line/ frame clamps to avoid vibration & resulting line stress cracking. After you're up and running, be sure to change fluid at about every 2 years....that maintains a good safety margin-- to delay water in the system/corrosion. Do use the proper brake line wrenches to loosen/tighten the fittings--avoids rounding off the corners.

Thanks Run-Em, I'd like to be using the 3/16 standard steel line,I heard you can bend that without a bender but I think I will buy a cheap bender just in case.Using wire to use as a length gauge is great advice,Thanks.Also I think I'll be going from the master out.Thanks again

chevynut
09-30-2013, 11:12 AM
IMO you can probably bend 3/16" steel line with a cheap bender from Autozone without any problems. It's the bigger line that will kink, and stainless is a lot harder to bend. But I think the small stainless line would bend easily too.

Do people really flush their brake lines regularly? I've never done it on any vehicle I've ever owned, and never had problems. Maybe it's our dry climate.

CHKYWUKY
09-30-2013, 06:07 PM
IMO you can probably bend 3/16" steel line with a cheap bender from Autozone without any problems. It's the bigger line that will kink, and stainless is a lot harder to bend. But I think the small stainless line would bend easily too.

Do people really flush their brake lines regularly? I've never done it on any vehicle I've ever owned, and never had problems. Maybe it's our dry climate.
Do You guys think 3/16 will work fine with the system I have?,One more thing,The proportion valve has two ports for the front brakes , do you have to use them both or just one port and cap the other and then a y.I'm a little confused why there are two ports for the front brakes.All the cars I've seen have one line coming from the valve to the front and then a y to split to each side.Am I missing something?

chevynut
09-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Yes 3/16" line is fine for brake systems. I used 1/4" because I had a lot of -4AN fittings I wanted to use, and I wanted to pre-plumb the frame then take it off for paint and put it back on later. I think 1/4" makes that easier to do.

Not sure about your prop valve, what is is from?

CHKYWUKY
09-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Heres pics of the prop valve allready plumbed to the master.Theres a pluged port on one side and on the other side were the lines go in from the master is the unplugged port [see pics].This power master/prop valve is supposed to be for a disc/disc brake system according to the PO. Do I just use the one unplugged port and use a Y for both front left and right discs or run two lines ,one each from the pluged port and one from the unpluged port to the front discs.This system was purchased from performanceonline.com by the po.I guess I can call them up and maybe get some instructions but thought I'd run it by you guys first.Hope you can make sense out of my question and pics.

chevynut
09-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Do I just use the one unplugged port and use a Y for both front left and right discs or run two lines ,one each from the pluged port and one from the unpluged port to the front discs.

I believe you could do it either way. I think the plugged port is the same as the port on the other side. So you could run two lines to the prop valve, or run one line and "T" it somewhere else.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the way you plumb them.

chevynut
09-30-2013, 10:31 PM
TRy this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lategreatchevy.com%2Fassets%2 Fpdf%2Flategreat%2FDUAL%2520MASTER%2520CYLINDER%25 20%26%2520POWER%2520BRAKE%2520BOOSTER.pdf&ei=9FxKUtvZI-nhygGE04CAAg&usg=AFQjCNGoWYBX82tJdossT65KwFDeYjdt-w&bvm=bv.53371865,d.aWc

http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/media/wysiwyg/brake-conversion-valve.jpg