PDA

View Full Version : painting questions

warren57
09-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Have a couple questions today. I'm old school and always used acrylic enamel or lacquer paints. Decided it was time to get into the 21st century and try some basecoat/ clearcoat. Practiced on my old truck roof. Sanded with 220, primed with 2 part primer, spot puttied with 2 part spot putty, sanded with 220/320, sprayed some 2 part sealer, 2 color coats and three clear coats ( all dupont products) A little pricey !
Well, all went very well, looks great, good enough I don't plan on buffing.

So time to move on to the 57. Would like to repaint the dash. Not going to remove the windshield (I know, I've heard it all before). I will get it masked and sanded, but my question.... I have no idea what is on it for paint. Not original, but who knows. I won't be removing all the existing paint down to nice clean steel, so, after sanding, can I spray a couple coats of sealer and then paint? I thought about priming first, but a little afraid the 2 part primer my lift the old paint.
Next question, how long to wait before buffing out? I've heard 1 day to 2 weeks, what is right?
Any thoughts are appreciated.

NickP
09-27-2013, 08:16 AM
What does DuPont recommend? I mean you can get all kinds of ideas from us and the web, but the manufacturer is where I would go for this type of Q&A. The unknown substrate is what would, as it has you, bother me.

Rick_L
09-27-2013, 09:17 AM
You need to use primer. Whether it's bare steel or over old paint. I would advise against priming/painting over the old paint, you should strip it. With the cost of materials, why take the risk?

smooth 56
09-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Have to agree with Rick but you can seal and be fine.You can buff the next day but I wouldn't. I like to let my stuff sit for a while if you can let it set in the sun it will cure better or faster.

BAM55
09-27-2013, 02:36 PM
yeah I like stripping also but I have use epoxy as a sealer and was fine. I strip because I just like knowing.lol But if I were to paint over paint. I would stuff the old paint with a red scotch brite pad shoot a coat of epoxy as a sealer and go from there. I agree with smooth on the cutting and buffing.