PDA

View Full Version : stripes

warren57
09-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Since I'm still learning this whole basecoat/clearcoat thing, correct me if I'm wrong...
you can't spay clearcoat over a cured basecoat... you can spray basecoat over a cured clearcoat (such as adding stripes to an existing car)...you can spray clear over cured clear or base over cured base.
So if you wanted to two tone an existing vehicle, you would scuff the area of the color change, spray new base coat color and clear. Or if you were doing a stripe, you would scuff the panel, spray the stripe and clear the panel.
Am I understanding correctly?

Rick_L
09-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Yes you understand correctly.

Another way to do two tone, especially a stripe, is to use what's called "intercoat clear" on both bases. Then use standard clear over everything after sanding the edge of the stripe. This eliminates the step at the edge of the stripe that will otherwise occur, and it keeps the tape from pulling up base, which can happen too.

You might want to google for more details. Or maybe a pro painter will post some.

chevynut
09-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Rick, how do you sand the edge of a stripe without screwing it up? I understood if you took off the tape immediately after spraying the edges would be softer.

warren57
09-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Yes you understand correctly.

Another way to do two tone, especially a stripe, is to use what's called "intercoat clear" on both bases. Then use standard clear over everything after sanding the edge of the stripe. This eliminates the step at the edge of the stripe that will otherwise occur, and it keeps the tape from pulling up base, which can happen too.

You might want to google for more details. Or maybe a pro painter will post some.

I googled intercoat. I still don't see the purpose, as it read, all it is is basecoat without color. If so, then again if it cures, you can't spray clearcoat over it? Doesn't make sense to me. I don't see a purpose for it and if it is just another layer of basecoat without color then it would pull up just like basecoat? I'm apparently missing something here? I'm thinking the old lacquer is still easier. Spay it, fix anything that's needed, clear it, regardless of being cured. Lay out your graphics. sand as needed and clear whenever you are ready. Seems this base/clear creates a hurry up situation when trying to do any type graphics. Hmmmmmm.

Rick_L
09-30-2013, 02:35 PM
how do you sand the edge of a stripe without screwing it up?

Because you're sanding on a coat of clear not the color that actually is the stripe. Obviously you can't sand through it.

Also if you were doing stripes or graphics in multiple colors you can lock in each color and be able to repair the latest one if you goof. Plus every time you spray the intercoat, you're extending the time window before having to spray clear.

chevynut
09-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks Rick, that makes sense now. I thought you were sanding the stripe.

warren57
09-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Because you're sanding on a coat of clear not the color that actually is the stripe. Obviously you can't sand through it.

Also if you were doing stripes or graphics in multiple colors you can lock in each color and be able to repair the latest one if you goof. Plus every time you spray the intercoat, you're extending the time window before having to spray clear.

As I read it, you're not sanding a coat of clear, you are sanding a base coat with no color in it, so smoothing the edges could be accomplished without hitting the stripe itself, but you are still locked in to the cure time of the base coat. You're not really gaining any additional time before clear coating. You still have to clear it within 24 hours or whatever the basecoat allows. Am I missing something? I guess if you sprayed a coat of intercoat at the 23rd hour, that would buy you another 24 hour window??

An update.... I was thinking. If you spayed a coat of intercoat and waited a few days or week, all you would have to do is scuff it, spray a fresh coat of intercoat and continue with graphics, right? This would allow multiple layering of graphics and virtually unlimited time before clear coating.

chevynut
09-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Warren, just "get-er-dun"!

warren57
10-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Warren, just "get-er-dun"!

NO KIDDING, HUH!!!! seems like the more hours I put in and the more I get done, the more I find to do.... At least I can start it and move it around now! Have the seats out working on the last of the wiring and that's when I thought.... good time to paint the dash, while I can move around. That in turn led to this post...
How are you coming with everything?

chevynut
10-01-2013, 06:20 PM
How are you coming with everything?

Well, I hung my heater in the new shop tonight, and I plan to paint the walls tonight or tomorrow. Then I can finish up the electrical work and get it inspected. I need to have the gas line pressure tested and then hook up the heater exhaust and get it inspected too. I'm pretty sure that the only other thing I need to do to get a final inspection is to blow the insulation into the attic.