PDA

View Full Version : floor brace replacement

warren57
11-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Has anyone tried replacing the floor braces without removing the entire body? I need to replace the rear braces. Wonder if I could loosen the bolts, take the weight off the frame and try and replace the braces?
Appreciate your thoughts...

chevynut
11-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Warren, which "rear braces"? The one just in front of the wheelwells is a long brace, all the way from inner rocker to inner rocker, as is the one behind the front seats. The two forward braces are left and right, two pieces. I don't think you could replace the long ones without lifting the body several inches above the frame.

Can you just replace the ends? They sell the ends if the rest of the brace is good.

warren57
11-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Warren, which "rear braces"? The one just in front of the wheelwells is a long brace, all the way from inner rocker to inner rocker, as is the one behind the front seats. The two forward braces are left and right, two pieces. I don't think you could replace the long ones without lifting the body several inches above the frame.

Can you just replace the ends? They sell the ends if the rest of the brace is good.

Yes, the long ones. The center of the brace is pretty good. Should be able to cut off the rusted ends without to much problem. Who sells the ends? I even considered forming some new pieces on my break that would overlap the old brace and trying to beef it up? Any other thoughts on repairing the ends?

chevynut
11-11-2013, 08:02 AM
http://www.carsinc.com/parts/sheetmetal/floor-area-braces-and-ends/front-center-and-rear-brace-ends/1955-1957-chevy/210-sedan-2-4/1957/?sid=nk9ahduhga6b4h2cneihh8bn26

The ends are what's usually rusted out on these. It's not that hard to replace them if you cut them off outboard of the frame.

warren57
11-11-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.carsinc.com/parts/sheetmetal/floor-area-braces-and-ends/front-center-and-rear-brace-ends/1955-1957-chevy/210-sedan-2-4/1957/?sid=nk9ahduhga6b4h2cneihh8bn26

The ends are what's usually rusted out on these. It's not that hard to replace them if you cut them off outboard of the frame.

Thanks for the supplier info, prices look good. Think I will get them ordered and give it a try!!!

Did you get the final inspection on your shop???

chevynut
11-11-2013, 05:48 PM
No final inspection yet. It's been ready for a couple of weeks, but they made me file for an extension on the permit anyhow. So I figured WTF.....I'll do it when I feel like it. I have it insulated and the heat is on...that's what really matters. The only things not done are the interior doors and finishing the floor. Plus I have to put in the attic floor, but that can come whenever I want to do it.

I talked to U-coat-it at SEMA and they said they have a lifetime guarantee on their floor epoxy. I've also considered Epoxy-Coat. Either way is going to be about $1000 for my floor. But I'm not moving the Nomad or anything else in until it's done. :)