PDA

View Full Version : Spot welding aluminum

chevynut
11-27-2013, 06:19 PM
I have a 220V Miller spotwelder that I've successfully used to spot weld steel sheetmetal. I don't have a timer for it, and it welds FAST so you barely have to hit the power switch. I've plugged it in to 110V, and it works okay and gives you more time to watch the weld. I may build a timer some day when I have time.

I've tried to use it on Aluminum, putting power to it for several seconds. I've even tried to dress the tips to get better contact, and cleaned the aluminum. It just doesn't work. I resigned myself to plug welding with my TIG or riveting the parts together.

Here's something pretty amazing I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgC3V3mkcw

I plan to use this trick on my interior stuff. Sure glad I came across this...gonna try it this weekend. :)

567chevys
11-27-2013, 09:41 PM
That is slick !!!!

Let me know how it works .

Thanks Sid

NickP
11-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Very interesting Laszlo, I have a 110 and a 220 unit and will give that a shot for this console I am building. I have used them a lot while putting the front cowl back together. Many thanks for the cool tip!

Rick_L
11-28-2013, 11:44 AM
That's pretty cool.

Lazze has quite a few metal shaping videos that are very useful. He also sells some quality metalshaping tools.

warren57
11-28-2013, 08:16 PM
I have a 220V Miller spotwelder that I've successfully used to spot weld steel sheetmetal. I don't have a timer for it, and it welds FAST so you barely have to hit the power switch. I've plugged it in to 110V, and it works okay and gives you more time to watch the weld. I may build a timer some day when I have time.

I've tried to use it on Aluminum, putting power to it for several seconds. I've even tried to dress the tips to get better contact, and cleaned the aluminum. It just doesn't work. I resigned myself to plug welding with my TIG or riveting the parts together.

Here's something pretty amazing I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgC3V3mkcw

I plan to use this trick on my interior stuff. Sure glad I came across this...gonna try it this weekend. :)

I always put a piece of thin sheetmetal under both tips and it works fairly good. Have to watch hpw long you heat the weld or the sheetmetal will burn through or stick tight to the al.