PDA

View Full Version : Something a little different

chevynut
12-02-2013, 09:34 AM
This is a C4 Corvette suspension conversion that we are building for my interior guy. It's set up for an early C4 front suspension, and a C4 Dana 44 rear with a Viper batwing. It's a pretty custom frame, built specifically for his application (55 sedan) and to his specifications. We lowered the front end by an additional 1/2" on top of our standard 3" suspension drop. He is using coilovers, so he can set the height within about 1" of that either way. We also rounded the top of the frame in front of the upper a-arms for a smoother look.

In the rear, we built custom humps that are 1" taller than stock, moved them inboard to accommodate a narrowed IRS, and elongated the humps to clear the C4 toe adjusters. The Dana 44 sits 1" higher in the frame than our standard conversion, allowing for an additional 1" of rear drop to 3" from stock. The narrowed IRS and frame will allow a 345 tire in the rear.

We added an AME-type center section using the AME longitudinal members, flat cross-pieces, exhaust cutouts for 3" exhaust, and cut plumbing holes in it. We also made a custom rear crossmember with a different type of hoop. He will be using splined swaybars front and rear, and the engine will probably be a new ZL-1 427 that he has (aluminum block, new casting.... 1 of 200 made) but I'm not sure what transmission.

The frame isn't quite complete in these pictures, and it still needs some gussets and final welding done on it. He will be adding the swaybars, engine mounts, and transmission mount unless he has us do it when we're finished. In return, he's going to do my Nomad interior...at least part of it. :)

NickP
12-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Very cool. Nice work as usual.

Bluegrass Trifive
12-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Nice work! Will the body mounts on the inside of the rails by the rear end work ok or will they have to move?

chevynut
12-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Bluegrass, on past narrowed frames, I have notched the body mount into the frame (see my Nomad frame below). However, on this one we moved the mounts inboard and up, since he has to re-do the floor for the raised humps anyhow. Those still need to be added too, but we have them made and ready to install.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
12-03-2013, 05:36 AM
nice to be able to trade with him. sounds like a win for both of you.

JT56
12-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Very Nice! Now we know why your 56 isn't on the road! Too busy with others. BTW how long has that motor and tranny been sitting lol!

chevynut
12-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Well not really JT. :) The reason mine isn't on the road is I need more room!!! I decided 18 months ago that I couldn't finish my car without adding space to my shop. If I wasn't still building frames, I wouldn't really need it. But after taking my Nomad apart, blocking, and re-assembling it the final time, I realized if I took it apart to paint it I would have to shut down the frame business. So I added 1300 square feet to my shop, and it's taken me a lot longer to do that than I expected. I have been working on the interior, something that would normally be left until after paint. That should allow me to finish it quicker once it's painted. :)

I don't think sitting for years is going to hurt the T56, but the engine will be taken down and cleaned up with new piston rings and gaskets. I want to make sure I don't have those low tension oil rings in it before it goes into the car. It shouldn't take any machine work since it's a new engine, but I plan to check everything before I re-assemble it.

JT56
12-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Space is always good when your taking on that big of a project. My dad shop is a 40x60, but he has almost every tool made. Had to move 5 things to get to one. That sucked! Basically when he decided to get out of the business, he was in 5000 sq/ft now 2400 sq/ft. Oh well I managed. Will be nice to see that thing running!