PDA

View Full Version : Working on A-Pillars and cowl

Bakins
12-07-2013, 06:15 AM
Haven't been on the site in a while - I was blocked off-and-on til the server move. I generally "surf" on my tablet, and I hate posting from it.

Also, been out of town with work, etc, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the 57. However, I am working on the A-pillar's now. I keep finding more and more rust. Decided to buy new cowl panels (has the hinge mounts) as mine were swiss cheese once I stripped them - they both also had a "square" cut out of each one and welded back - no clue what that was for. I have the driver's side mocked up with sheetmetal screws.

Does anyone have good measurements of the door opening on a 57 hardtop? My rockers and floor were so far gone... I hung a door on the passenger side and it's "close" but I just want to double check.

chevynut
12-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Brian, be sure to do a lot of measuring in the door/cowl area. It's really easy to get it wrong, especially with the extensive work you're doing on the a-pillar. Hanging the door is definitely the right approach too.

Glad to see you posting again. ;)

Twisted56
12-11-2013, 03:56 PM
I'll most likely need to replace the A-pillar on the driver side of my ride too. The corner below the windshield is rusted out pretty bad so by all means please post pics :)

Bakins
12-16-2013, 05:28 AM
Does every one have issues with replacement metal not fitting worth a crap? The first driver's toe board didn't have the correct curve on it, the second one I tried fit fine. Now, the driver's A-Pillar/door jamb has the wrong shape at the bottom - http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000080i~Z5Z5Z5AAEVW~ P115.00~~~~S3Y90HZI0576171017370a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z5000 0080i - The passenger side one looks somewhat better. And of course, I did all my test fitting without the rocker in place - I guess I learned a lesson the hard way.

Bakins
12-16-2013, 05:51 AM
I'm kinda stuck now as I don't want to start on the passenger side as I was using it as my "guide." I braced it up and hung a door on it to make sure it was okay for measurements sake. So I don't want to cut on it until I get the drivers side done. I got in a bit of a hurry - I try to make the most of each day as I only get maybe one day a week on it. Also, the drivers side rocker had been cut (or rusted completely in two) and rewelded and I knew it was not the correct length - was ~ 1/4" too short, so I didn't want to use it as a reference.

Either way, I order a new piece - another $100 - grrr... That'll teach me I guess.

NickP
12-16-2013, 07:01 AM
I have a box stock 57 2DHT in the shop. I'll shoot a pic for you and you can point out what you need measured if that helps.

smooth 56
12-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Does every one have issues with replacement metal not fitting worth a crap? The first driver's toe board didn't have the correct curve on it, the second one I tried fit fine. Now, the driver's A-Pillar/door jamb has the wrong shape at the bottom - http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000080i~Z5Z5Z5AAEVW~ P115.00~~~~S3Y90HZI0576171017370a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z5000 0080i - The passenger side one looks somewhat better. And of course, I did all my test fitting without the rocker in place - I guess I learned a lesson the hard way.
Yep I have had some of the same problem's. The gmc that I am working on just about all the replacement panel's didn't wont to fit the way I thought they would and the 55 hard top is the same way.Guess when they reproduce they just get them close and that's good enough.

Bakins
12-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Measurements/pics would be most appreciated. Unfortunately, both sides were pretty rotten in the bottom corner near the hinge. Previous owner had done some
"repairs" with some 1/8" steel plate - not kidding...

Bakins
12-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Had the day off (we have to use all our days by end of year), so I was tinkering in garage. Drivers side door opening is too narrow. How'd that happen? Everything's held together with sheet metal screws, so I can adjust. It's same thing at top and bottom and middle of door. FWIW, I never could get the door lined up before I ever started...

Edit: I tested the fit with the actual door above and it didn't fit. I just did a bunch of measurements on both sides and they match (well, within an 1/8" at most). Passenger door fit perfect, drivers not so much..