PDA

View Full Version : Nomad door panel construction

chevynut
01-04-2014, 07:26 PM
I've been working a lot on the design, and now the construction of my custom door panels. I have been thinking about them for months, and finally came up with a design a while ago. Since then, I have been working on determining the process to build them. I went down to Denver before Christmas and discussed it with my upholstery guy, and we came up with a plan. He showed me some tricks he uses, and told me what was critical to make sure he can complete his work later. I am using an aluminum sheet, and will build the door panel shape using foam and fiberglass. Here's the cardboard panels he made for my doors a while ago, before I set the new course. Tey made for a good pattern to make the aluminum ones:

The first thing I learned is that the tri5 doors are a lot more complicated in shape on the inside than they look. First I discovered that they're not flat ...nowhere near flat. Trying to make a piece of aluminum fit the door has been a challenge. There are all sorts of curves, and reverse curves. I have to get the panel to within 1/16" of the door at the edges so I've been doing a lot of shrinking and stretching and I'm really close. I just started on the passenger side tonight, after finalizing the design on the driver's side.

I'm using aluminum because I need to screw and weld parts onto the door panel. My upholstery guy usually uses waterproof cardboard, so I am using the ones he cut out as patterns to make the aluminum panels, but slightly oversized so they can be trimmed later. I don't think cardboard would have worked out very well for what I'm trying to do. Perhaps ABS sheet would have worked, but I didn't know where to get it locally and aluminum was the obvious alternative. I'm using .063" sheet, which may be overkill. ABS would have been 1/8", same as the cardboard.

I thought I had a final component layout a couple days ago and when I put the panel in the car for a trial fit, I realized the inside surface of the door slopes over 10 degrees, with the top being way inboard. You wouldn't guess that looking at the car and I hadn't considered what this would do to my design. This affects the angle of the armrest, and everything has to be adjusted to compensate for it. I have already made the rear armrests, so I have to make the front ones match their height. I went out and looked at my other 56, and the armrests are not square to the interior door surface. So I had to move some parts around slightly and weld up some small holes. I think I have tweaked the design enough that I can get into more serious construction.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure of right now is where the inside door handle will go. I have two locations, and the location determines what kind I use. I have considered using a billet one, and I have an OEM one that I'm trying to fit as well. Either one will be cable-operated, so I have to make provisions to run a cable through the panel and to the door latch at the back of the door. I will also have a 6.5" speaker, a grab handle, and a courtesy light. I may install a "cup" on the armrest but I think it would be redundant with the grab handle. I am installing motorized vent windows, but I don't know where I'm going to put the switches. I don't think I want them on the door. The side window switches will be on the console.

I was going to use some foamboard and glue it to the aluminum panel, but I think it would be a PITA with all the curves and might not even work. So I bought some "pour foam" which is a 2-part urethane foam you mix and pour. It expand 30 times it's volume in a few seconds after mixing and the stuff I got is 2 lb/cubic foot. It works with polyester resin, unlike some other foams. I plan to build a dam around the area I want to foam, and pour it in. Once it cures, I can remove the dam and shape the foam. Two gallons of this mixture will fill a 55-gallon barrel!! :-)

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mmtJOip3YELXPFHrWUue_qw.jpg

I also got some 1.5 oz chopped strand fiberglass mat to put over the foam when I get it properly shaped. I think I will add a layer of cloth as well, to smooth it all out and add some strength. I'm shooting for 3/32" to 1/8" of fiberglass, overall, and I've been told that two layers of mat will just about get me there.

http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/a0/89/123d_1.JPG

Oh yeah, I'm going to remove the doors and build the panels while they're on the door, to make sure they stay the proper shape. The panel clips will be buried under the foam, so they have to go in first. I have the holes drilled for the clips on the driver's side. I figure I'll have to remove the panel a couple of times at least during construction, so we're using metal clips.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6SVpW1alqRIH2qkgBtly4ZDDdyFDm0 XXsFDENZIoBDnKXLwwW

We're building the door panels in "modules" so two of the pieces will be covered with leather and then attached to the panel. That's how OEMs do many door panels these days. Most of the door panel can be covered with leather before the modules are attached.

I am installing 6.5" Polk Audio component speakers in the doors, and Polk Audio tweeters in the headliner along with 6x9 Polk Audio 3-way speakers in the rear, on top of the "package tray" I built behind the Nomad rear seat. I haven't decided if I'm going to use an amp or not, and I just may add if later if I feel like it. Not sure about a sub either.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/400/300/products/2013/23/107/x107DXi6501-F.jpg

The tricky part is going to be clearancing everything. I need to sculpt the foam so I have room to add the fiberglass thickness, and the finished gap between sections needs to be .110" per my upholstery guy. He's really picky, but I like that. I will add fiberglass to make a slightly narrower gap, then sand it to final size. The fiberglass thickness will also affect the exact location of other components on the door. I think I'll spray the panels with Slicksand and epoxy when the fiberglassing is finished, to prepare it for the leather upholstery. The foam will stay in place.

I may post some pics later, when I get more done. ;-)

56-210Sedan
01-05-2014, 08:59 AM
WOW :) i am going to have to take some more time and read this again before i give any of my 2 cents :D I do know like your upholster mentioned he or she wanted to use, that cardboard is the most common use since it has flexibility to contour, such as your door's you spoke of.

Foam is used a lot in shaping and contouring for upholstery.

chevynut
01-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Foam is used a lot in shaping and contouring for upholstery.

Yeah Marty, but it's open-cell flexible foam that's used on seats. I am using closed-cell rigid urethane foam. It's not soft, and you can sand it to shape.

NickP
01-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Yeah Marty, but it's open-cell flexible foam that's used on seats. I am using closed-cell rigid urethane foam. It's not soft, and you can sand it to shape.

Some good stuff there Laszlo. What weight foam, 2, 4 or 8 did you decide upon? I assume the bigger the number the more dense and closed the cells are. I wonder if this would work for a headliner substrate. Obviously, the body would have to be inverted on a rotisserie, poured and then formed by sanding it to shape. I also wonder if the foam hot knifes would function well for cutting it down quickly? If you goofed, will a remix of a small amount to fill the oops adhere well enough to reshape?

NickP
01-05-2014, 12:10 PM
I am installing 6.5" Polk Audio component speakers in the doors, and Polk Audio tweeters in the headliner along with 6x9 Polk Audio 3-way speakers in the rear, on top of the "package tray" I built behind the Nomad rear seat. I haven't decided if I'm going to use an amp or not, and I just may add if later if I feel like it. Not sure about a sub either.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/400/300/products/2013/23/107/x107DXi6501-F.jpg

What head unit will you be using? That's some pretty big stuff to be driven by a single head unit.

chevynut
01-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Some good stuff there Laszlo. What weight foam, 2, 4 or 8 did you decide upon? I assume the bigger the number the more dense and closed the cells are. I wonder if this would work for a headliner substrate. Obviously, the body would have to be inverted on a rotisserie, poured and then formed by sanding it to shape. I also wonder if the foam hot knifes would function well for cutting it down quickly? If you goofed, will a remix of a small amount to fill the oops adhere well enough to reshape?

I went with 2 lb/cu ft. and yes, the denser stuff doesn't expand as much so I assume it would have smaller cells.

It's supposed to sand really well. You CAN'T hot knife it because it gives off toxic fumes. You can hot-knife polystyrene (blue board, etc.), but it's not compatible with polyester resins, so you would have to put an interfacial layer on it to protect the polystyrene or use epoxy resin, which is much more expensive.

And you can just add more if you need it. Supposedly it sticks well to itself and most surfaces.

chevynut
01-05-2014, 12:53 PM
What head unit will you be using? That's some pretty big stuff to be driven by a single head unit.

I will probably go with a Kenwood or Alpine 2-DIN touch screen. 50 watts per channel x4. I'll consult with some audio experts when I get to the point of finalizing my stereo setup. I don't need sound that rattles the doors, just clean, crisp sound at moderate volumes.

NickP
01-05-2014, 01:35 PM
I looked at Alpine because that's all I ever used in the past but sat with a Kenwood rep and saw this: Kenwood Excelon DNN990HDNavigation receiver with Wi-FiŽ
It might drive your speakers but you will not as clean a sound if you don't push it with an amp.

chevynut
01-06-2014, 02:11 PM
I got the grab handle secured to the door panel, and installed it on my door to see how well it worked. I was hoping I could pull on it and keep the aluminum panel from moving, without actually attaching the grab handle directly to the door...no dice. It's fine at the top, about 4" below the top of the door, but at the bottom the grab bar pulls the panel away from the door. It's just forard of the center of the door panel, and there's nothing there to support it.

So how I have a choice...do I put the door handle at the bottom of the grab bar, so when it's out of the panel I can screw the grab bar to the inside of the door, or do I provide some other access there? I could make an access hole in the panel to install a screw, and then put a leather-finished plug in the hole. It's not very visible because it's down pretty low, below the armrest, but I was hoping not to have to put a hole there.

Another option might be to screw a plate onto the door that is perpendicular to the door to attach a "cup" to. The screws would hold the panel securely to the door in the middle and might provide support for the grab bar. I was hoping for a "clean" look and really didn't want to put a cup there.

http://www.ronmangus.com/products/images/small%20door%20pull.jpg

The two door handles I've been thinking of using are this one(EL-503):

http://www.claytonmachine.com/images/el-handles-600px.jpg

And this OEM one:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/fits-BMW-E38-E39-95-03-INSIDE-INTERIOR-DOOR-HANDLE-LEFT-/00/s/MTAwMFgxNTA0/z/EqwAAOxyRNJShvZ7/$_12.JPG

One looks a little "street-roddy" while the other is more OEM...and it is OEM. The angle goes with the grab bar angle pretty well, if i locate it below the grab bar. We would dye the OEM one to match the leather color that it sits on.

Here's one of the billet ones in anodized black on a door panel, but not where I'm likely to put it if I use it. It seems to me that this is right in the middle of the door, and it would be hard to operate unless you used the hand opposite the door. Sitting in my Nomad my elbow would hit the seat if I tried to use the hand near the door, or I'd have to lean away from the door. It would only work well if I put it further forward. Maybe that's not an issue in a hotrod. :)

If I used that handle, it would most likely be below the grab bar or at the top of it, which would be in the red area on this panel. I have to take a look inside the door to see where a handle could go. It's a little difficult to integrate all this stuff together so it works.

chevynut
01-06-2014, 02:19 PM
I looked at Alpine because that's all I ever used in the past but sat with a Kenwood rep and saw this: Kenwood Excelon DNN990HDNavigation receiver with Wi-FiŽ
It might drive your speakers but you will not as clean a sound if you don't push it with an amp.

I don't think I want or need navigation in my Nomad. Last year my son bought a DNX570 predecessor (2012 model) with NAV for alittle over $400 at Best Buy. The regular price was over $900. One store had a "clearance" sale on them and only had a floor model left. We had a new one transferred from another store because they wouldn't price match, and we got the clearance price. I thought that was weird for a large chain, but I was told store managers can price clearance items themselves.

A few days later I tried to buy another one but they were out. I looked at an Alpine unit that wasn't NAV, and they had a great price on them on clearance also. By the time I decided to buy one, they had them at regular price of around $700. They still had some left, and I asked why they had them on "clearance" the week before if they didn't want to get rid of them.

I don't know how big of a deal HD radio is, but if it's as big of a deal as HD Video, I think I want it. Unfortunately, I can't find a Kenwood unit without NAV and with HD radio. I found a unit I like for a great price but have hesitated to buy it just in case something better comes along. I've learned my lesson on that stuff. :)

And I'm NOT spending $1500 on a fricking stereo receiver. To me that's like buying a $500 bottle of wine...it may be better than a $20 bottle, but not that much. ;)

I'll install an amp if I need to. But I don't need 300W per channel either. ;)

chevynut
01-09-2014, 07:55 AM
I mocked up the OEM door handle on the door panel with a bracket I made and double-sided foam tape and it just won't work. It sits a little too low and is just outboard of the seat. The panel will be 3" thick there, below the armrest, and when I pull the handle out it nearly hits the seat. I'm afraid that if we add some foam to the seat bolsters it's going to hit it and eventually cause some wear on either the leather or the handle, or both. The actual location would be just about the same as in my Silverado, but I pull that handle straight up instead of out away from the door.

So I think I'm down to one handle now...at least that was decided for me. :) I have been in contact with Clayton Machine to try to get some dimensions for their EL-503 handle. They sent me an exploded view, and it's a pretty cool concept...different from any other door handle I've seen. I need to know what the thickness of the part it to be sure it fits where I want to put it. I have two choices on location, one immediately behind the grab bar like on the black panel I posted above, and the other just below the vent window. I will have a vent window motor there (no crank), so I have to be careful where I put the handle.

The other remaining issue is how to solidly attach the lower end of the grab bar to the door when the panel is installed. I think I'm going to make a removable arm rest section so I can get into that area to install a screw. I'm hesitant to make an access hole that can be seen on the panel.

Once I get the final shaping of the aluminum done and the clips installed, I can start pouring foam. I may have to consult with a metal-shaping expert on the final shaping, because I'm having a helluva time with it. I have it close, but not as close as I want it.

I noticed the pic of the black/red panel didn't post right, so I'll try again.

NickP
01-09-2014, 01:56 PM
I have tried many times to review the Clayton Machine Works website but cant seem to find anything of interest beyond what they show on the Home Page.

http://www.claytonmachine.com/images/IMG_1950large.jpg

chevynut
01-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Yeah Nick, I get stuck there too. :) Here's their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/claytonmachine/timeline?filter=1

MP&C
01-10-2014, 05:58 AM
Laszlo, I was going to ask you to post up some pics of your door panel ideas, but I think Nick has some good interior pics there for studying. There has to be door panels in there someplace..

JT56
01-10-2014, 06:08 AM
The sound of that 502 running would be music to my ears! :cool:

chevynut
01-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Got my door panels just about ready to pour foam and I was looking at my speaker location so I could cut the hole in the panel, and ran into a snag. I hope this doesn't cause a total re-design :(, but I failed to recognize that there's a brace in the doors where I want to put my speakers. :( I saw it there when I was drilling for door panel clips and avoided it, but didn't put 2 and 2 together and realize it would affect my speakers.

I got to looking at pictures of other door panels, and noticed the speakers are further back than where I want mine. It looks like everyone puts them where the access door is. So my options are to move the speakers to the kick panels, which a lot of people do, cut into the brace, or try to re-design my panel somewhat to relocate the speaker. This will cause a lot of rework, but at least I haven't cut the hole in the panel yet.

I don't need to completely recess the speaker but I don't know how deep I need to go. I would like to at least get the magnet into the door to lower the profile because the speakers are 2" topmount dimension and at least 1/2" taller than that overall.

Do any of you know if there would be an issue cutting into the brace or if it would screw something else up like the window track? I may be able to weld a piece into it to reinforce it if needed, but to tell the truth I'm not really sure what it does. I think it just reinforces the hinge area, and it's not like I'd be cutting it completely away. I need to look at it more closely.

Here' the speaker profile. I have them on order but they're not here yet. They are 6 1/2" speakers and the flat mounting hole needs to be 5". Looks like the hole for the magnet would have to be about 3.5-4" diameter.

chevynut
01-17-2014, 12:16 PM
I was looking for the mounting hole pattern for the speakers, but Polk Audio doesn't show it or list it in their owner's manual online or anywhere else I can find. They have instructions in 6 fricking languages, but don't tell you what the hole spacing is. :mad: All they give you is "mounting dimensions" which they list as 5". That's the size of the hole for the speaker, not for the mounting screws. I guess I have to wait til they arrive and measure them. Sigh.....