PDA

View Full Version : swaybar

esurprise
01-09-2014, 12:30 PM
I have a 55 chevy 2dr ht. is a swaybar help a lot and are they worth the money thanks ed

sleeper55
01-09-2014, 12:38 PM
cheap improvemnt, well worth the money, front and back.

NickP
01-09-2014, 01:52 PM
As mentioned, a less expensive modification that will yield decent results. However, if the remainder of the suspension system is not up to par then the results may at first seem a little less rewarding.

Rick_L
01-09-2014, 04:29 PM
A sway bar probably ranks above disc brakes as something that you'll really notice as a good addition to your car. And since it's cheap, it's the best suspension/handling bang for the $$ you'll find.

And for me, bigger is better. Go for at least a 1" bar. 1-1/8" even better.

Maddog
01-09-2014, 04:39 PM
I have wondered why so many people rave about sway bars. I think most that do have high profile tires on their car and probably stock height. I can see a sway bar making a huge difference under those conditions. I always have low profile tires on my cars, typically 40 series 17 or 18" wheels, and lowered 2"-4" I've never seen such a huge improvement with or without a sway bar, I think it is because the low profile tires and lowering job already give the handling great improvements so less is affected by a sway bar. If you staying some what stock height and have higher profile tires by all means add the sway bar(s)

JT56
01-09-2014, 06:27 PM
My car has 15's on it and can tell you the sway bar made a huge difference with body roll with mine. Others may have had a different results, but all I can say is what happened with my application.

Rick_L
01-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Maddog, I don't understand where you're coming from on this, a sway bar works positively no matter what tires/wheels you have.

Maddog
01-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Maddog, I don't understand where you're coming from on this, a sway bar works positively no matter what tires/wheels you have.

Correct. What I'm getting at is a lowered car with low profile tires achieves what a sway bars does on cars with high profile tires and stock ht. In fact, low profile tires alone probably achieve 80% or so of good handling. My point would be if your car is lowered and has low profile tires don't expect a great difference by adding a sway bar. With a lowered car and 35-40 profile tires I wouldn't even bother with a sway bar. Keep in mind I'm not building some roundy round type car either.

chevynut
01-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Low profile tires alone don't really do squat for reducing body roll. Body roll is caused by the suspension, not the tires. Lowering the car can make some difference, but the tri5 springs are pretty soft, both front and rear. Body roll is still a problem with a lowered tri5 and a swaybar will do a lot for reducing it. I don't think there's a car made today or for the past couple or three decades that doesn't use a swaybar. They work.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
01-10-2014, 05:37 AM
put a set on a 55 I had, best upgrade for the money you can do. was an easy install for me and I usually can't do much on my rides.

Maddog
01-10-2014, 07:33 AM
Low profile tires alone don't really do squat for reducing body roll. Body roll is caused by the suspension, not the tires. Lowering the car can make some difference, but the tri5 springs are pretty soft, both front and rear. Body roll is still a problem with a lowered tri5 and a swaybar will do a lot for reducing it. I don't think there's a car made today or for the past couple or three decades that doesn't use a swaybar. They work.

Actually try it some day, you may find out differently.

Rick_L
01-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Maddog, I don't know if you're just pulling our chain or what, but I think you are dead wrong on this.

Bihili
01-10-2014, 09:01 AM
I have a 55 chevy 2dr ht. is a swaybar help a lot and are they worth the money thanks ed

Welcome to TriFiveChevys.
Look at the video and notice the difference in time because of the swaybars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yez1J68nN60&feature=player_embedded#!

Maddog
01-10-2014, 09:07 AM
No, lower your car a few inches and add 17-18" wheels with 40 series radials. You'll be amazed at the handling improvements. Now remember I'm not trying to build some kind of wanna be race car, just a good handling street car. I usually cut a coil which increases the spring rate some, 2" drop spindles. There will still be some roll in the rear but minor in my opinion., unless you fancy yourself a race car driver. But for other people that still run 15" wheels with 60 or 75 series tires the swaybar is the best they can do.
Now do you have a car to do this to so you can feel the improvements?

Maddog
01-10-2014, 09:16 AM
And notice that's a paid advertisement, and the profile of tires.
You guys crack me up, of course sway bars are good and do what they say but the results are some what minimized with other upgrades in place. Running the car thru a salom is exactly what I'm not interested in, that's race stuff. It's just ;like brakes, install a set of 11" brakes then some manufactuer/dealer will tell you how much better their 13" what evers are. Yes, if you take the car out to a track and do 100mph to 0 measurements yes the car will stop a FEW feet shorter, but drive both on the street and you can't tell there is a difference. You'll be perfectly happy with the 11" brakes.
So YES sway bars are good but not necessary with other upgrades in my real world experience.

5Clint7
01-10-2014, 11:27 AM
I agree with Maddog. If you are building a race car, put the sway bar on. I put one on my 57 BelAir after reading about all the big improvements. I couldn't see a bit of difference in the handling, but I don't do road course racing. I just do cruising and Sunday drives. I should have spent that money on more Bling. Just my experience.

chevynut
01-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Actually try it some day, you may find out differently.

Maybe you ought to clue all the OEMs in on your theory....they're wasting money on swaybars. LOL!

You've gotta be kidding.

chevynut
01-10-2014, 12:27 PM
You guys sound almost like sleeper claiming the stock tri5 suspension was the best ever made, and that the stock brakes are great. LMAO!

chevynut
01-10-2014, 12:33 PM
What I'm getting at is a lowered car with low profile tires achieves what a sway bars does on cars with high profile tires and stock ht. In fact, low profile tires alone probably achieve 80% or so of good handling.

Can you explain how low profile tires alone eliminate or even noticeably reduce body roll? I gotta hear this. :)

And keep in mind that a good handling car is a SAFER car. When you have to avoid obstacles or a collision, you don't want the car going all over the place. Sure, lowering the CG of a car is going to help some, but it's still going to want to roll. I guess none of this matters if you always drive in a straight line.

Maddog
01-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Can you explain how low profile tires alone eliminate or even noticeably reduce body roll? I gotta hear this. :)

And keep in mind that a good handling car is a SAFER car. When you have to avoid obstacles or a collision, you don't want the car going all over the place. Sure, lowering the CG of a car is going to help some, but it's still going to want to roll. I guess none of this matters if you always drive in a straight line.

Can't explain anything to you, you know everything. But if you get a chance take one of those more doors you own and cut a coil, add the wheels and tires and EXPERIENCE the difference. Of course this is assuming your more door actually runs, I don't think you have any other Tri5 that runs. Don't forget to lower the rear as well, you don't want to look like a stink bug.

Maddog
01-10-2014, 01:46 PM
I say it again, sway bars work. Chevy started using them in 1958-V8 cars only at first. However with other upgrades that I've noted you may not see such a drastic improvement as you will with out the upgrades, there will still be an improvement but not so much by the seat of the pants. That's all folks. I understand it's easy to imagine things but once in awhile some of you may want to actually experience things you think you know so much about. For the guys with 15" balloon tires/stock height a sway bar will definitely yield big results.

Maddog
01-10-2014, 01:49 PM

I didn't say roll, I said good handling. Go back and read without your blinders on. Lowering the center of gravity and stiffer springs takes care of lots of the roll. The whole package makes for a good handling car.

Rick_L
01-10-2014, 02:46 PM
The whole package makes for a good handling car.

Whole package includes the sway bar.

I don't understand leaving it out.

There's no disputing that lowering the car and putting better tires on it will help. The sway bar will help that much more.

And the nice thing about sway bars is that unintended consequences are almost nonexistent if no mistatkes are made in installation.

Maddog
01-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Whole package includes the sway bar.

I don't understand leaving it out.

There's no disputing that lowering the car and putting better tires on it will help. The sway bar will help that much more.

And the nice thing about sway bars is that unintended consequences are almost nonexistent if no mistatkes are made in installation.

Agrees, but you take me back to square one. If you already have the type of upgrades I noted don't expect to see a tremendous difference as you will without them.

Rick_L
01-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Also, you could get a sway bar from the factory on a 55-57.

Maddog
01-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Yes they were a seldom chosen option. Were they "factory" or dealer?

chevynut
01-10-2014, 06:58 PM
"I say it again, sway bars work. Chevy started using them in 1958-V8 cars only at first. However with other upgrades that I've noted you may not see such a drastic improvement as you will with out the upgrades, there will still be an improvement but not so much by the seat of the pants."

I already said lowering helps with body roll, but it doesn't go away. A swaybar further stops body roll. My guess is you've never driven a car that really handles. So you think lowering a tri5 makes it handle better, and it does...some. But it doesn't compare to a car with a suspension that's set up with higher spring rates, and good swaybars front and rear. A tri5 is still way top-heavy even when lowered 2-3".

I'd venture to say that if you took a poll of those who added swaybars to their lowered cars, the majority would say they made a big difference.

Besides, let's get back to the original poster....he asked if a swaybar would help his car. The answer is yes, regardless if it's lowered or not.

sleeper55
01-13-2014, 05:55 PM
You guys sound almost like sleeper claiming the stock tri5 suspension was the best ever made, and that the stock brakes are great. LMAO! By chevyhasnonuts

Were u born a dick or is this something you had to work on cnuts ?

chevynut
01-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Were u born a dick or is this something you had to work on cnuts ?

I'd have to try real hard to get to your level, you asshole, and I would probably not make it. LMAO!

You're the moron who claimed that the Tri5 suspension and brakes were the best ever made. Did your mom drop you on your head or what?

sleeper55
01-14-2014, 07:35 AM
They were the best for their time c has no nuts, the fact that they are a pleasure to drive and the styling is why myself and many others love these cars. You should be ashamed for downing the cars that bring us together at this site, even if the car is stock or all hacked up,4 or 2 doors, rusty or striaght. It really shows how shallow you really are. Sad really

sleeper55
01-14-2014, 07:42 AM
On another note, removing the sway bar from your car at the drag strip will take off about 3/10 of a second from your ET

Rick_L
01-14-2014, 08:09 AM
On another note, removing the sway bar from your car at the drag strip will take off about 3/10 of a second from your ET

How can it do that? A false statement.

Maddog
01-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Potential improvement would vary from car to car. Just would depend on how much the sway bar limits weight transfer to the rear, and how badly lack of weight transfer affects traction.

sleeper55
01-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Not false, I had this discussion at the track, I made a run with it then without, 3/10 diff. Put it back on and tried again, same result.

markm
01-14-2014, 09:05 AM
How can it do that? A false statement.

Wow Rick when I think of all the $$$ I have seen spent in my day to gain a couple tenths. This guy is a regular Grumpy or Smokey we should feel blessed to havce the benefit of his vast knowledge.

sleeper55
01-14-2014, 09:45 AM
You dont believe me markcum? Did your car have a front sway bar? Did you take it off and try? Or did you just use money to try and buy ET? I do not pretend, like you and ur nutty friend to know everything. I am just relaying my own exsperence. Maybe the time clocks were off? Maybe I just happened to to run faster each time we unbolted the sway bar?.. maybe.... I did it twice with the same results. Sometimes I wonder why anyone dares to say anything on this site .As soon as you do markcum and chevyhasnonuts has to down it. You both are so arrogant, self centered and self absorded wanna be smart asses, its sicking.

Maddog
01-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Wow Rick when I think of all the $$$ I have seen spent in my day to gain a couple tenths. This guy is a regular Grumpy or Smokey we should feel blessed to havce the benefit of his vast knowledge.

If you don't know that a drag car should lift in front to transfer weight then you don't know shit. If his car saw 3/10 then that is true for his car, others results may vary and most likely will.

Rick_L
01-14-2014, 10:42 AM
I'd say that if the car actually ran 0.3 sec quicker, mr. sleeper is not a very consistent driver. No way does something like that make 0.3 difference.

Maddog
01-14-2014, 10:47 AM
3/10 is a lot but if it made lots of power and had no traction it would have to lift a lot to lose that much ET but I'm not going to sit here and call him a liar, I just read it and move on except for all the rhetoric that others come up with.

sleeper55
01-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Your a smart man Maddog, blown SB with a 6sp and street tires. Traction was an issue. rick makes a good point,I am a rookie racer but a very succesful well known driver shared his story with me and asked me to try it, that was the my result. I can ask him in Pomona in a few weeks to give me his results from back in the 70s.
Next time I will just keep my mouth shut and let the three amegos answer everything since they know all. have at it rick mark cnuts

markm
01-14-2014, 03:43 PM
One thing for damn sure is that after a bracket racing hobby that started in the 1970s I dont need ass clowns like Maddog and sleeper telling me how to set up a race car suspension, Like Rick so accurately stated a 3 thenth change is huge and can cost hugh dollars to obtain. Unless your car is a rollimg parts car with mismatched crap.

sleeper55
01-14-2014, 03:54 PM
hey markcum, hope you dont mean I was in anyway telling you what to do. Did I say anything like that?? Chill out man ur going have a heart attack.

567chevys
01-14-2014, 04:01 PM
No expert here but back in 1982 the rule I think was once you hit 10.99 in the quarter mile it was $1000.00 for every tenth of a second or 100 Lbs off the car , A tenth off a street car isnt shit but on a RACE car it is.

Sid

markm
01-14-2014, 04:17 PM
No expert here but back in 1982 the rule I think was once you hit 10.99 in the quarter mile it was $1000.00 for every tenth of a second or 100 Lbs off the car , A tenth off a street car isnt shit but on a RACE car it is.

Sid

The point made is still applicable today.

Rick_L
01-14-2014, 04:22 PM
markm, well said, you beat me to it. Not so much your last post (which is not wrong), but post #41.

I'm kind of warming up to censorship, at least if I could be the censor.

Maddog
01-14-2014, 04:47 PM
One thing for damn sure is that after a bracket racing hobby that started in the 1970s I dont need ass clowns like Maddog and sleeper telling me how to set up a race car suspension, Like Rick so accurately stated a 3 thenth change is huge and can cost hugh dollars to obtain. Unless your car is a rollimg parts car with mismatched crap.

WTF is wrong with you guys. Sleepers car is obviously not a race car, 3/10 can be easy in a high powered street car with street tires. When you're spinning tires you can vary from one run to the next without making any changes. True, in a properly set up race chassis 3/10 is like almost impossible.
I think you guys just like to complain, criticize, poo poo on any thing and every thing someone says.

markm
01-14-2014, 05:06 PM
3 Renths is still an ass load on my 67 Camaro SS 350, its basically stock slapper bar suspension was killer consistant mid 12s back in the day. Since suspension was almost stock when I went to street trim in the late 80s not much has changed.

sleeper55
01-14-2014, 05:07 PM
agreed maddog, my car is a over powered street car that was running med 15s in my first run ever. Everything was tight and would fry and no transfer of weight.... embraasing to say the least. The car is capable of high 12s imo. I ran it 3 race weekends last year and ended up with a best time of 13.04. There is a little et to get out of it still with what I have. Once I have that I know its going be a grand a tenth or close to that....... So I put slicks on it the last weekend and got a full second better . Three amegos wanna call bull shit on that too? Going by your threory those tires should have cost 10000 dollers a set lmao

Rick_L
01-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Three amegos wanna call bull shit on that too?

This amigo calls bullshit. Unless you are a puke ass stupid incompetent driver. Which you probably are. You can't even spell amigo right. I won't speak for the others.

Last weekend at the drag strip in Northern Alberta? Give me a break dude.

And as always, Maddog probably knows better, he's just stirring the pot as always. Or maybe you don't either? Have you ever bracket raced a streetable car Maddog? Do you even have a car?

567chevys
01-14-2014, 05:39 PM
I guess I see the problem , One should tell one what kind of Race car or Car they are working on ,
I ran around with Pat Austin in the early 80's His family owned Walts Radiator & Muffler out of Tacoma Wa He had a BB alcohol Funny Car and later they bought Gary Ormsby's Top Fuel operation and ran both cars to get that kind of results out of them type cars is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$

The part I dont like about what is going on with thread is tell some one what your working on before we call each other names !!!

Sid

Rick_L
01-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Well Sid, you'd be right if we were talking with reasonable sincere knowledgeable people. But not everyone who's posted in this thread fits that description.

Maddog
01-14-2014, 06:24 PM
This amigo calls bullshit. Unless you are a puke ass stupid incompetent driver. Which you probably are. You can't even spell amigo right. I won't speak for the others.

And as always, Maddog probably knows better, he's just stirring the pot as always. Or maybe you don't either? Have you ever bracket raced a streetable car Maddog? Do you even have a car?

This is the exact kind of stupidity you always come up with. You have some kind of a ego complex thing going on that you have grown to believe you know it all and call out every one on anything that doesn't suit you. FYI most guys on "the other site" dislike you very much, yes, I have been in the PM loop a few times and they call you the thread killer or something to that effect. Try treating others with a little respect, ignore what you don't like and try to be positive. I've made attempts but you and one or two others continue to throw out insults. As far as your question of cars I guess I could ask you the same thing, do you have a car that runs in recent history? Or are you one of these guys that just works on something for 10-20 years and knows it all. People will always talk shit to you with your current attitude towards others.

Maddog
01-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Well Sid, you'd be right if we were talking with reasonable sincere knowledgeable people. But not everyone who's posted in this thread fits that description.

Pot meet kettle

Rick_L
01-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Sounds like you're having trouble being told you're wrong when you know you are.

What's this PM loop thing? Is it a secret "hate Rick_L" group? Why is it secret? Why don't I get PM hate mail?

You remind me of an engine builder who says he gets emails all the time saying I'm wrong about something, yet few post that on the forum.

It's curious that guys like markm and USA1 whose interests and preferences vary from mine, but we have common ground on what's BS and what's not. And you just stand out as the contrarion, purposely so, just to be that way. When you know better.

And what's your name on trifive.com? I'll bet you won't say.

Maddog
01-14-2014, 08:06 PM
TRY BEING RESPECTFUL, I've NEVER CURSED ANYONE THAT DIDN'T DO IT FIRST. MY NAMES, CARS AND MANY OTHER PERSONAL THINGS ARE NONE OF YOUR OR ANYONE ELSE'S BUSINESS. THAT'S THE WAY I DO THINGS. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BLOCK ME SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO BOTHER WITH ME. YOU'LL MAKE US BOTH HAPPY.
AS FAR AS YOU NOT RECIEVING PM'S I WOULD HAVE NO IDEA, MOST OTHER PEOPLE ARE NOT INTO BEING RUDE AND WOULD NEVER SEND ANOTHER SOMETHING HATEFUL, EVEN THOUGH IT MAY BE TRUE. YOU MAY MISTAKE THEIR POLITE WORDS FOR SOMETHING IT ISN'T. YOU'RE SUCH A JOKE.

Rick_L
01-14-2014, 08:24 PM
TRY BEING RESPECTFUL

You've never done anything here to deserve respect. In fact the opposite is true. All you've ever done on this forum is mock respect for anything and anyone. Rudeness is YOUR calling card here. How dare you accuse me of what you do?

Try having some respect and politeness for the rest of us. What the hell is wrong with you?

Maddog
01-14-2014, 08:43 PM

sleeper55
01-15-2014, 07:11 AM
I guess I see the problem , One should tell one what kind of Race car or Car they are working on ,
I ran around with Pat Austin in the early 80's His family owned Walts Radiator & Muffler out of Tacoma Wa He had a BB alcohol Funny Car and later they bought Gary Ormsby's Top Fuel operation and ran both cars to get that kind of results out of them type cars is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$

The part I dont like about what is going on with thread is tell some one what your working on before we call each other names !!!

Sid

Sid are the Austin family still racing? I used to like Pat, the kid was full of energy.

sleeper55
01-15-2014, 07:26 AM

Hey dick with a R, are you that sad in your life you need to down others to make your pittyful life seem a little better? Is that what this is all about? Try looking in the mirror and say i love you , maybe that will get you over this problem you have with your life.... I said one little line about how my car performed with and without a sway bar. That was the topic of the thread. Then you and your buddys turned it into a shit show. Go back "over there" and spread your crap. Oh ya, they hate you there too.

Maddog
01-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Let's see he doesn't like anyone to discuss off topic issues, then when a car topic is discussed he still has problems. What an idiot.
DICK L you should stay on the "other site" or Chevy Talk, over there no one can tell you how they really feel about you so that should work just fine for you. I can't see why you spend any time here.

567chevys
01-15-2014, 08:01 AM
This is off Pats website :

Hello, my name is Pat Austin. I'm the proud owner of Austin's Pro Max. I want to thank you for visiting our website. If you don't know much about your vehicle, we're here to help. Before I tell you what we're about, here's a bit of history.
In 1960 my grandfather, Walt opened Walt's Radiator. My dad went to work for him. Six months later Walt passed away. My dad took the reigns and ran the company. He did all the work and sold the jobs.
In time my father opened thirty five stores and six warehouses. Some of the locations were in Seattle, Portland and Colorado. I grew up in the business.
I worked for my dad while going to high school. I worked after school and on weekends. He trained me on the art of automotive repair. I learned the importance of safe and reliable auto repair.
He asked if I wanted to take the business over for him. But at the time I had other plans.
My dad sold the business and retired. Our family went into professional racing for fifteen years.
Once I became married, I retired from racing. I opened Austin's Pro Max. Now we have three convenient locations for you. We're located in Puyallup, Tacoma and Spanaway, WA.

Maddog
01-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Checked out ProMax website auto repair, mufflers, brakes etc ...............but do they do sway bars:)

567chevys
01-15-2014, 08:51 AM
To this Day , I dont understand why Pat gave up racing , He was bad ass , His uncle Buckey still has his shops and race cars .

Sid

Bihili
01-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Hey Ed, I know this is your first post on this board and I wanted to say welcome again.
Hopefully you got an answer you can trust.
The majority of guys like the addition of sway bars.
Ed did you know a front stabilizer bar was an option in 1955.

http://www.55-57chevys.com/

http://www.55-57chevys.com/coccc/index2.html (http://www.55-57chevys.com/coccc/tech/55/406-1.gif)

http://www.55-57chevys.com/coccc/tech/55/406-1.gif

Maddog
01-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Hey Ed, I know this is your first post on this board and I wanted to say welcome again.
Hopefully you got an answer you can trust.
The majority of guys like the addition of sway bars.
Ed did you know a front stabilizer bar was an option in 1955.

http://www.55-57chevys.com/

http://www.55-57chevys.com/coccc/index2.html

http://www.55-57chevys.com/coccc/tech/55/406-1.gif

Good, back to the topic. Do you know if the sway bar option was a dealer or factory installed?

sleeper55
01-15-2014, 10:47 AM
To this Day , I dont understand why Pat gave up racing , He was bad ass , His uncle Buckey still has his shops and race cars .

Sid

I remeber watching Pat get in so much trouble one day at the track. At that time you had to be so careful during the burn out not to blow up. They did not have that device that stops you from being able to hold the car wide open during a burn out. I cant remeber if it was a final round but it was a very important run. Pat rolled out of the water and flattened it and Boom the day was over. I am not sure if his dad was his crew chief or not, but that kid caught shit hard that day. I felt bad for him.