PDA

View Full Version : LIFT - TWO POST or FOUR POST

NickP
01-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Once again, I'm back on looking at lift for the shop. I would have done a Poll, but don't have the knowledged to do one nor do I know if the site can do one..

So, Two Post or Four? For those of you that have one, please advise what tonage, why and if the purchase was a good one - which means, if you hate it, let us know.

markm
01-15-2014, 04:54 PM
I have an Eagle TPO-9 two post and love it, very high quality const. I wish that I had room for a companion four post. One size does not fit all the two post shines on brake and tire work, while the four is faster for oil changes and superior for setting pinion angles. I want both just have not figured where to put another.

Run-em
01-17-2014, 04:16 PM
We used to have a 4 post and it was great. Very stable when working on the cars.

NickP
01-22-2014, 09:14 AM
I have an Eagle TPO-9 two post and love it, very high quality const. I wish that I had room for a companion four post. One size does not fit all the two post shines on brake and tire work, while the four is faster for oil changes and superior for setting pinion angles. I want both just have not figured where to put another.

Is that a symetrical or a-symetrical unit?Is that a symetrical or a-symetrical unit?

markm
01-22-2014, 10:48 AM
I would love to have an a-symetrical but due to rafters which were modified anyway it was not possible.

Rick_L
01-22-2014, 06:57 PM
What are the features of a-symmetrical vs. symmetrical? I'm not familiar with those terms as they apply to a lift.

markm
01-23-2014, 05:44 AM
Symetrecial all four arms the same lenth. A- smmetrical two short arms and two long arms. THis allows full drivers door access.

567chevys
01-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Hi I have a 10,000 Lb Rotory Lift , its a Symmetrical one , I looked at many lifts and decided not to go cheap on this tool , looks what could happend if you bought a bad brand !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUjq6ijvVc

chevynut
01-26-2014, 09:15 AM
Yeah, but whose tri-5 weighs 10,000 pounds? :)

NickP
01-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Nerd Rods?

567chevys
01-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Point I was trying to make be careful when you buy one , they sell smaller ones the cheap brands will do the same as they are Chinese Made .

So C nut if you bought a China 7000 LB lift and your son had to do something to your HD 2500 and bed had Snow in it would you trust it ?? I sure hell would not .

Other way to look at it is some people own different cars than just a 55-57 chevy's :eek:

chevynut
01-26-2014, 08:33 PM
I know what you were saying, Sid. :) No, I would not let anyone work on my truck on a 7000 pound US or Chinese lift. It's too close to the rated capacity.

They should NOT rate that lift at 10,000 pounds if it fails before getting there, or even if it flexes too much. I guess my point is that one might work for our cars just fine since they're only around 3500 lbs. It's probably really a 5000 pound lift....if that. They kept talking about the top bowing in, but I thought most of these had supports across the top. In any case, a guy could deal with that.

Everything has a breaking point. Choose wisely. ;)

markm
01-27-2014, 05:51 AM
I am really pleased with my Eagle TPO-9 it is a commercial quality lift. When I bought it I ordered two of them, the other one went to a friend who had a shop and installed plows on one ton trucks. After seeing the abuse my lifts twin saw daily I have no fears. My lift has a larger plate and more bolts than any others I have seen.

locusthill belair
01-29-2014, 02:58 PM
if just for working on car get a 2 post, if storage is your need go with 4 poster. go with a good unit as you cant overdo it my car goes up all winter with a cover on it and i park pickup under, a verticle 2 car garage

tyafrya
03-06-2015, 08:35 PM
I have a two post Bend Pac 10,000 a-symmetrical lift. (A-symmetrical posts make it easier to open the car doors) Both 2 &4 post lifts have their merits. Two post lifts aid in body removal, exaust work, drive line, brakes etc. I've had a 4 door Duramax Chevy truck on mine, no problems. Owned it four years now , no issues. Good bang for the buck.

567chevys
03-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Once again, I'm back on looking at lift for the shop. I would have done a Poll, but don't have the knowledged to do one nor do I know if the site can do one..

So, Two Post or Four? For those of you that have one, please advise what tonage, why and if the purchase was a good one - which means, if you hate it, let us know.

FYI Nick

How do I create a new poll?
When you post a new thread, you may also have the option to create a poll.
This allows you to ask a question and specify a number of possible responses. Other members will then be able to vote for the response they wish, and the results of the voting will be displayed in the thread.
An example poll might be:
What is your favorite color?

Red
Blue
Yellow
Green
Sky-blue
Pink with yellow spots

To create a poll when you post a new thread, simply click the 'Yes, post a poll with this thread' checkbox at the bottom of the page, and set the number of possible responses you want to include.
When you click the submit button, you will be taken to the poll creation page, where you can specify the question and the list of responses you want to include.
You may also want to specify a time limit for the poll, so that (for example) it stays open for voting for only a week.
How do I vote in a poll and view the results?
To vote in a poll, simply select which option you want to vote for, and click the 'Vote!' button. Sometime you can choose more than one option. You can see the current results for a poll before you vote by clicking the 'View Results' link. Voting in a poll is entirely optional. You may vote for any of the available options, or cast no vote at all.
Note whether or not a poll is a public poll. If it is, any votes you cast will be attributable to you.
Generally, once you have voted in a poll, you will not be able to change your vote later, so place your vote carefully!