PDA

View Full Version : last question i hope!chev panels

bsa_bob2
03-26-2014, 02:36 PM
I am trying still to decide which panel i need. My problem being,Tell me which panel has the best wheel well opening . for "close to orig" look ?I Have sent a couple pms/ to guys here ...but thats been week ago.:? thank you !for what ever you have,and any other panel details/flaws, that i should look for

Rick_L
03-26-2014, 04:25 PM
The problem you have bob is that very few hobbyists have personal knowledge of all of your options.

I have done a Sherman quarter on a 55 sedan and can give you first hand comments on that. The wheel opening on it is correctly shaped or close to it but the bend lines are not nearly as crisp as original. I fixed it to my satisfaction with a little hammer/dolly work and some filler.

The Golden Star 55 quarter panel wheel openings have some problems too. I've seen some photos and discussion on those but I cannot tell you how much better or worse it is than the Sherman panel, or if it's easier or harder to fix.

You need to find a pro who has done both and will comment candidly. 55wagoncrazy at trifive.com is the only one that comes to mind. And I'm afraid he'll tell you both are junk.

chevynut
03-26-2014, 06:05 PM
I would just buy the Goldstar panel and make it work. You're going to have to do some cutting regardless of which one you use. I have heard the Goldstar stuff is pretty good, especially the floors. I think they're less expensive than the Sherman panels, and lots of people have used them.

My experience has been only on a 56 Sherman quarter. The quarters are too long, the door jamb detail is crap, as well as the taillight detail. I cut 3/4" behind the door, and around the original taillight opening and welded it there. I had already removed the taillight opening on the passenger side, so I cut the Sherman panel and got an original taillight opening from a buddy who got if off of a donor 4-door.

None of this stuff is exactly like original, some not very close. I have never understood why they could make this stuff 50+ years ago with pencil and paper and slide rules, but they can't do it today with computers and 3D CAD and CNC machines.

Rick_L
03-26-2014, 08:07 PM
I have never understood why they could make this stuff 50+ years ago with pencil and paper and slide rules, but they can't do it today with computers and 3D CAD and CNC machines.

I think the answer is simple. They don't use today's technology, and that probably doesn't matter, as we couldn't afford it. They don't even use 50s technology. Well maybe they do, they just don't execute it as well. And they can't for the price we want to pay.