PDA

View Full Version : 55 dash lights/ignition switch Part 2

56-210Sedan
05-23-2014, 11:06 AM
I have a thread on dash lights http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php/3260-dash-lights-placement-for-a-55 and this questions sorta ties into it so this is why i say part 2.

The light that goes to the ignition switch will work when i touch it to a test light, but once i install it in the ignition switch then nothing happens meaning it will not light up.

I am not very good with electrical but i would think with what i keep finding this would mean that there is no ground with the ignition switch?? but that makes no sense to me if that were the case you would think the switch itself would not work.

I really do not know what inspired me to work on this electrical stuff other then i do not have funding to work on my other project and i am bored out my skull so i thought i would take on something that is not a big cost to play with, so with that said what are your thoughts what should be my next step, i really want to conquer this monster even though i really do not need the lights it is just driving me nuts that wires are hanging and not in the correct areas so i want to clean things up.

chevynut
05-23-2014, 03:27 PM
The ignition switch body is probably not grounded. I assume the lamp socket has one wire, and a metal case. That metal case needs to be grounded. It normally would plug into the ignition switch and the switch should be grounded to the dash.

The ignition switch does not have to be grounded to work on the starter or any other functions. Just the light.

56-210Sedan
05-23-2014, 04:55 PM
The ignition switch body is probably not grounded. I assume the lamp socket has one wire, and a metal case. That metal case needs to be grounded. It normally would plug into the ignition switch and the switch should be grounded to the dash.

The ignition switch does not have to be grounded to work on the starter or any other functions. Just the light.

OK good and thank you, this is what i was thinking or hoping is should say, so now any idea were a ground wire would be located on the switch? or what my next step might be.

i got to thinking, wouldn't the switch itself touching the dash be enough for a ground?

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
05-24-2014, 05:48 AM
maybe there is paint under the switch acting as an insulator.

LEE T
05-24-2014, 06:21 AM
Yes the switch just transfers the current from one wire to another. A simple test would be to hold a jumper wire to ground and touch it to the bulb case.

chevynut
05-24-2014, 06:25 AM
The switch will not have a ground wire on it. The backside of the dash should be bare metal, and all it needs to do it touch that. You can verify by taking a piece of wire and touching the switch body with one end and a good ground with the other with the lights on. The light should come on if it's plugged into the switch.

Let me make sure I understand what you did to test the light. You said "The light that goes to the ignition switch will work when i touch it to a test light". What exactly did you do? I assumed you connected a test light from the light socket body to ground and the light came on. Does the light work when you simply ground the light socket? You could also take a DVM and measure the resistance between the ignition switch and ground. It should read near zero.

56-210Sedan
05-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Lee, that is what i had done " A simple test would be to hold a jumper wire to ground and touch it to the bulb case." and when i do this the light works when the light switch for the lights is pulled out, but once i install it in the ignition switch and put it all together then nothing.

Carl, i did check for this and from what i can see there is nothing to keep it from having a good contact.

Laszlo, just like mentioned to Lee, i had grounded test light end and touched to bulb case and when doing so the light works.

chevynut
05-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Marty, connect your test light to a 12v power source and touch the ignition switch body with the other end. If it doesn't light, your ignition switch isn't grounded to the body.

56-210Sedan
05-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Marty, connect your test light to a 12v power source and touch the ignition switch body with the other end. If it doesn't light, your ignition switch isn't grounded to the body.

OK i will give that a try.

chevynut
06-06-2014, 02:41 PM
What did you find out Marty? Hope to see you in about a week!

56-210Sedan
06-08-2014, 07:39 AM
What did you find out Marty? Hope to see you in about a week!

Laszlo, i have not really had the time to check it out as i have been very busy with preparing things for my daughters graduation, we had the place tore up pretty good from doing some work on the house earlier this spring and i worked feverishly to get it all back together :) and i was able to get it all done for the most part :cool:.

I should be able to take some time off today and play a bit :o so i will get back and post my findings if i get to it. One other thing i will be doing today is getting things ready for the trip to see you and Bill and Ryan's frames :cool: