PDA

View Full Version : Classic Industries vs Danchuk

rkwhite61
06-12-2014, 11:46 AM
I'm needing to purchase a few parts (grille, grille light bar assembly, grille support). Was wondering which of the two suppliers mentioned above would be the better choice? I ask because I have a 20% off code from Classic (father's day promo), but haven't bought from them before nor am I familiar with the quality of their products. Thanks in advance.

Rick_L
06-12-2014, 12:56 PM
I don't generally buy from either one.

I usually buy parts from H&H Classic in Bentonville, AR. They usually have the parts in stock, they are straight up with shipping (charge actual cost), they are closer, and if you have a problem with a part they will deal with the manufacturer. Plus on some parts they offer you a choice of manufacturers.

Maddog
06-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Classic industries has really cleaned up their act from years ago. I would use them before Danchuk. Years ago they were headed down the same path as Danchuk, bad customer service and a overall bad attitude. They have gotten it together and seem to be on top of their service now. However you might save on shipping with a closer vendor. I would put Danchuk at the bottom of my list.

JT56
06-12-2014, 04:06 PM
I have bought from all mentioned, plus Mutton Hollow. I prefer H&H and Mutton Hollow

rkwhite61
06-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks guys. Totally forgot about H&H - my dad used to buy from them back in the day. Ya'll make a good point too about being closer, resulting in lower shipping. Thanks again.

Rick_L
06-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Herman and his family at H&H are good people and pay attention to business.

Interesting that Classic Industries has perhaps turned the ship, because I ranked them with Danchuk in the past. Eckler's is a step below either one.

Another good place to buy is East Coast Chevy. They won't dazzle you with sale prices and gimmicks. They are just good solid honest folks, and they have items no one else has. Some of their unique items are sold by others.

One thing to keep in mind as you shop. Danchuk makes a lot of items, and many of them are good, and for many parts they are the sole manufacturer. But almost everyone sells Danchuk made parts, and often at better prices than Danchuk. So you don't have to buy it from Danchuk even if they make it. My outlook is that they take better care of their dealers than they do of their retail customers.

One more thing. The independent sellers like H&H and East Coast will offer their honest opinion about parts when there is a choice of mfrs, regardless of price. A smart retailer knows if he can give you good advice and good stuff, you always need more parts for these cars, and you'll come back. There's few 55-57 cars anywhere that don't need a few hundred $$$ more parts to make them better.

chevynut
06-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Any of the repop parts are only manufactured by one or two companies, and every one else sells them. For example, I believe a 56 stainless grille is ONLY manufactured by Gene Smith Reproductions, but everyone else sells them. Sheetmetal parts are made by typically two manufacturers, GoldStar and Sherman. I don't think CCI (aka Ecklers) actually manufactures anything. They just sell others' parts at inflated prices. Even their "sale" prices often barely match what you can pay elsewhere.

I was recently reading a Super Chevy magazine and they said the stainless grille on the car was "manufactured" by CARS. They also claimed that Real Deal Steel made quarter panels they used on a 55 they were repairing. If they do, that's news to me.

I've actually had better luck with some Danchuk parts than others. Their hood bar and fender extensions fit my Nomad better than the original ones. Their headlight bezels fit great, and I found their 56 hood emblem to be better than one that I believe was from Trim Parts. I have a pair of Gene Smith taillights I got for my Nomad that are still in the box because the Danchuk parts are a much better fit on my car.

Bottom line is decide whose parts you want to buy, then pick your distributor/dealer you want to deal with.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
06-17-2014, 05:55 AM
h&h have a nice"free" catalogue too. :)

rkwhite61
06-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Just got my H&H catalog... that was quick!

I've heard really good things about East Coast as well, which ya'll confirmed. Looks like I'll be using H&H or East Coast whenever possible. Thanks again all! Much appreciated.