PDA

View Full Version : Auto Trans Cooler

markm
07-16-2014, 06:10 AM
Anyone have any ideas for mountimg a trans cooler on a 56 with stock radiator thsat does not include any zip ties or rubber hose. My cooler has AN fittinfs and I am going to have steel reinforced hydralic hoses made. I do not want to cut any obvious holes in anything,

Rick_L
07-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Since it has AN fittings. you could use AN bulkhead fittings that are made to be mounted on a panel or bracket with a jam nut. Make a panel or bracket that holds the fittings and figure out how to attach it to something already there, like the radiator filler panel screws.

Another way is one I've seen done with a/c condensers, but a trans cooler could be done the same way. Build a box from angle or angle bent sheet metal, kind of like a picture frame. Put some tabs on the back side to hold the cooler in the frame. Make some brackets or straps to attach the frame to existing holes like the filler panel screws.

There's probably some other variations on the above, lots of ways to do this.

markm
07-18-2014, 07:29 AM
This is not going to be easy, I got the car on lift and cannot see the cooling lines after they pass crossmember from underneath. The radiator shroud hides topside view.

WagonCrazy
07-18-2014, 03:22 PM
I mounted a separate trans fluid cooler (with puller fans) up under the front splash pan...at an angle...so it picks up a little fresh air from under the bumper.
Made a bolt in bracket out of 1 inch square tubing.

The fans are powered by relays, which take their "cue" from a mechanical temp switch inline on the return line, near where it goes into the transmission. When it gets to be over 180, it kicks the fans on until it cools below that temp. I have a trans temp gauge inside on the lower dash so I can watch what happens. Rarely does the temp exceed 190. On the hottest of days, heading up a long grade at a crawl due to heavy traffic, and with the wind at my back. :eek:

3265 3266

markm
07-21-2014, 04:27 PM
I spent the afternoon Sunday building a bracket that bolts to horn mounts and a couple other holes in core support. I went to hydraulic shop and had lines made today. I have always run through stock radiator cooler then aux cooler, what do you guys do in this regard. That is a sweet setup you made Wagon Crazy .

Rick_L
07-21-2014, 05:15 PM
I usually run through the cooler in the radiator and then to the aftermarket cooler.

If you have a fairly high stall converter, then think about forgetting the stock cooler. If you drive your car when it's cool or cold out, then using the stock cooler is a better thing. It can act as both a heater and a cooler.

Chevy started plumbing late model trucks with auxiliary coolers this way. The transmission runs fairly cold that way except on a hot day.

markm
07-30-2014, 07:25 AM
$125 worth of hyd. lines and crimped on AN fittings later, I have it done. I built a bracket that bolts to horn moumting and two other holes on rad. support. I ran the lines as ypu suggested Rick which is how I have traditionally done it. I guess others on 0other boards have differing opinions.