PDA

View Full Version : 30 year old barn/shop find project '57 210 wagon

Deadlytoys
08-11-2014, 08:55 AM
3351She was parked in a barn in 84 and in 2000 moved to the back of a plating shop for the next 14 years...we brought her home last Friday and will update with lots of pics as it progresses...

I still gotta figure the pic uploading thing... but I'm getting it ...lol.. I posted a couple albums with more pics in my profile...enjoy... cheers

JT56
08-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Wow!

WagonCrazy
08-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Pretty good start there. You have some rust issues to deal with, but seems like a complete wagon to start with.
Any chance you have a 9 passenger wagon there? Can't tell by the pics you posted...need to see some interior pics.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
08-12-2014, 06:03 AM
looks like a cool project, have fun with it. :cool:

penderjoe
08-13-2014, 06:44 AM
Hi man
I made it into here:D
super nice,i like the old patina,all it needs are wheels,:?:
penderjoe

Deadlytoys
08-13-2014, 07:14 AM
Well its been raining up here so I haven't got more pics yet ...but coming soon...Its a 6 not a 9 .
Still cleaning the basics eg. ripping out the headliner, ( and hoping nothing jumps out at me...lol ) there was more seat fluff up there than in the seats .

We opened the hood yesterday for the first time since we brought her home , we pulled the battery out of my forklift and hooked it up , ( after replacing the old battery tray ,,, don't know if there was really enough of the old one left to officially call it a battery tray , but now its new . ) so we have both turn signals , headlights and dash lights...its a start...lol . The manifold has been replaced to accept a Holley , (due to the fact someone actually stole the original Rochester off it ) and it was stuck , so we gave the carb a good soaking of WD 40 and freed it up , we pulled the plugs and lubed the cylinders with atf and let it sit . Then realized we didn't have a key ...so do all 57's not need one or am I special...lol ...we didn't seem to need one . It tried to turn but in the end failed :cry:... still stuck...

So I think I know of a small block 350 that will find a new home in there right quick... muahhhaha:evil:

so that's the latest... I think I will continue this thread in the update section from now on... seems more appropriate .

thanks for the read ... Cheers

NickP
08-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Cool find!

JT56
08-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Hi man
I made it into here:D
super nice,i like the old patina,all it needs are wheels,:?:
penderjoe

Welcome penderjoe

Tabasco
08-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Then realized we didn't have a key ...so do all 57's not need one or am I special...lol ...we didn't seem to need one .

Tri Fives ignition switches had 4 positions, lock, off, run and start. You had to have a key to turn it to lock or to turn it out of lock position. The key can be removed in any position. If it was in the off position when the key was removed then it would turn to run or start without a key. That sounds like what is going on with yours.

Deadlytoys
08-13-2014, 04:00 PM
...so looks like a good news bad news situation ...good news is I will be able to start it :D...bad news , so will everyone else :eek:...lol

thanks for the info

Tabasco
08-14-2014, 05:34 AM
"57s originally had one key to operate the ignition switch and all locks. If they have not been changed, then you can remove the glove box lock or door lock and get a lock smith to make new a new key that will also work on the ignition switch..

Deadlytoys
08-14-2014, 07:20 AM
That's handy info...I was going to call BCAA (same as your AAA ) to have a locksmith come out and make one ...its one of their services ( one time ) .

I have to get my moneys worth from my membership...lol;)

I managed to get them to tow it home for me as a " flat tire , tow home ". should have seen the look on the drivers face ...lol...but he laughed and hooked it up anyway.

hey thanks again...cheers

57barnwagon
02-23-2015, 08:37 PM
wagon crazy
why the interest in the 9 passenger?
Im a newby so I dont know
the one I just bought is a 9 passenger

chevynut
02-23-2015, 08:55 PM
I think the 9-passenger wagon is a pretty rare option. Most were 6-passenger.

Bihili
02-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Everyone loves to hear and see a good barn find story.
Congrats, keep us informed

567chevys
02-24-2015, 02:05 PM
I think the 9-passenger wagon is a pretty rare option. Most were 6-passenger.

The numbers
1957 Wagon 6 Passenger 127,803 Units
1957 Wagon 9 Passenger 21,803 Units

Sid

WagonCrazy
02-25-2015, 10:37 AM
Agree with Sids numbers. The 9 passenger ones were made only in a couple of plants. St. Louis is where mine came from. The 3rd row seat back/base come out easily, and a lot of folks put those in the garage and then pitched them as the years went on. So finding one with the 3rd row seat intact, along with its’ stainless trim has gotten harder over the years.

They are not so much “rare” or super valuable.(like a nomad would be), but kind of harder to find these days, so hang onto what you go and fix it up!

jmccann630
12-17-2015, 07:52 AM
Very cool, cant wait to see your progress pics!