PDA

View Full Version : 57 4 Door Hardtop - First Trifive

Fladiver64
09-01-2014, 06:32 PM
I thought I would start a project thread for this car, it was introduced in the readers ride section and now it is at it's new home. Basic background is we found this 57 hardtop and looked like a good project car. The car has been disassembled, media blasted and has been in primer for the past 7 years. We got it as a parts car and my first steps was just to clean the barn off the barn find and start to put the car back together so i can see what is missing and kind of what work needs to be done. Right now the car is in a storage unit as I am waiting for the shop that we are going to be working in to get built, with any luck that should be about end of November. First pictures are of us picking up our prize and getting 3409341034113412it home.

Fladiver64
09-01-2014, 06:41 PM
This weekend I went and started putting things back together, No this is not permanent, just so that we can see what we have and it is easier to move around in fewer pieces. One of the challenges is I did not take this car apart so looking at the pieces is just a big jigsaw puzzle. It looks like I have all of the trim pieces for the car, I am sure you will all be impressed with my red neck stainless install method, yes blue tape. All of the stainless will at a minimum need to be repolished and much of it needs to be straightened and small dents removed but I did not see any with big creases or kinks, so it looks like over time I will become a stainless repair expert. I did find that I have 3 extra complete sets of front window moulding so I guess that will provide some good practice
I have some spare parts I can't identify, anyone know where these belong?

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
09-02-2014, 06:01 AM
looks like a nice project, have fun with it. :cool:

chevynut
09-02-2014, 07:07 AM
T nee
I have some spare parts I can't identify, anyone know where these belong?

Those parts belong on the a-pillar. Looks like you're figuring it out just fine. Nice-looking project.

JT56
09-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Coming along just fine!

Fladiver64
06-13-2015, 06:49 PM
I know it has been a long while since I started this thread, but a lot has gone one over the past 9 months or so. This was supposed to be a three generation project, my father, myself, and my boys, this February my father passed away unexpectedly. We were very close and it has taken a few months to even start getting back to some form of normal. I also inherited two cars that we build together, a 34 Ford and a 27 T, both are drivers the 34 has 60K miles and the 27 has 39K miles. My brother and I got them both running, the 34 had been sitting for a couple of years and we had to replace the fuel lines, clean all the injectors, and new fuel filter, then plugs wires and coil and its a driver again. Next on the list are bushings for the rear four bar and shocks and a new interior. The paint needs work but I think I will leave it and enjoy driving until there is some other need to take the car apart.

The 27 just needed some ignition work and me learning how to drive a blower car, next upgrades are some interior work, Pics are of my father with the two cars and my boys after we took them to Old Town for their Saturday night cruise. Doing my best to pass the hobby down to my kids and honor Dad by keeping the cars on the road.

Now for the update on the 57, I ordered a chassis from Laszlo to be delivered sometime after October. My wife and I have purchased a new home on .7 acre that I will be building a 30 x 60 steel building shop, that is the reason for the delayed ddelivery of the chassis. Plans are for the C4 chassis and LS power with a six speed auto, and some mild body modifications.http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4513&stc=1http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4514&stc=1http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4515&stc=1 n

chevynut
06-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Very cool pics. Sorry to hear about your dad...I lost mine just a little over 2 years ago. He said he wanted a ride in my Nomad before he died, and I couldn't make that happen. Little did I know how time passes and life keeps ticking away.

smooth 56
06-14-2015, 05:37 AM
Nice cars glad to see you trying to keep the kids involved. Sorry to here of your loss don't know what I will do when my dad passes he is my best friend it will devastate me. Looking forward to seeing the updates on the 57.

Fladiver64
06-14-2015, 04:42 PM
Nice cars glad to see you trying to keep the kids involved. Sorry to here of your loss don't know what I will do when my dad passes he is my best friend it will devastate me. Looking forward to seeing the updates on the 57.
I know how you feel, he was my best friend as well. The best way I can honor his memory is to pass down the lessons that he taught me to my kids. My boys both associate the cars with Grandpa Roy, and know that we built them together, which means that he did most of the work and I slowed him down. I have to remember that when my kids are "helping".

Let me say one thing, make sure you talk with your father about his final wishes, that can be a very difficult subject. My father and I did have those talks and he had left me very clear directions for his final wishes. This made at least some of a very difficult time much easier. If I had do work through figuring things out or confusion with family at the same time, I cant imagine how much worse I would have been.

Fladiver64
12-07-2015, 05:11 AM
Yellow Freight called this am and said they are delivering me C4 chassis shipped from Cnut! No lights in the shop yet but there is space to get it inside, Ill post some picks when it gets here.

chevynut
12-07-2015, 06:15 AM
Wow, that seems like it took a long time. I dropped it off on November 23rd, 2 weeks ago. I thought it would have made it by last week sometime. Hope everything made it okay. ;)

Fladiver64
12-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Yes they took there sweet time, was at the terminal last Wednesday but they could not deliver it until today. Looks like they bent the right side hardtop body mount during shipping, of course they said this was because I didn't ship it in a complete crate, not their fault, I am arguing but may not get anywhere. I did get it unloaded and moved around to the shop, now just need to get the shop t the point I can start working http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5318&stc=1http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5319&stc=1on it.

Fladiver64
12-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Well with new shop built, got the 57 out of storage and parked in the driveway. Still working on getting shop organized but things are getting closer. When looking at the body there is rust damage under the area that has the bel air panels, enough that there are pin holes. The rest of the panel is solid. I am wondering if I can cut out and replace that sheet metal or should I get a replacement quarter, and before any one asks yes they make rear quarters for a 57 4dr HT. I am concerned that is two very long weld seams across an entire panel and I am by no means an "expert" body man. The quarters are $750 each so it is not a small investment. Looks like I need to do outer roockers and a bit by the trunk, but the floors look solid.
http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5383&stc=1

chevynut
12-28-2015, 06:17 PM
How large of an area is rusted? If you need to cut out much and don't know how to work sheetmetal, you may be better off with new quarters. Look for rust at the bottom and under the taillight area and that might help you decide which way to go. It wouldn't hurt to try to patch the rust, just for the practice. If you screw it up you'd need a new quarter anyhow. ;)

BTW, I didn't know they made new quarters for a 4DHT. Amazing they don't make them for wagons except the 55 Nomad.

Fladiver64
07-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Well its been a long time getting back to this project, work, two other cars, and house projects kept this on the back burner. So today I got the frame up in roller status. Tomorrow I have some friends coming over to swap the body off the old frame on to the new.

Fladiver64
07-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Well the big swap went well lots of help and the stance on the new frame looks great!751575167517751875197520

chevynut
07-15-2017, 08:46 PM
Looking good!

NickP
07-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Question on these mounts - Vette or GTO? I have a set from a GTO and noticed they offset the engine to the pass side. Do yours?

Well the big swap went well lots of help and the stance on the new frame looks great!7515

chevynut
07-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Nick his LS side mounts are from a Vette. They center the engine in the frame using our frame mounts. I understand the GTO mounts use one side from a Vette and the other is unique to the GTO. But I didn't think they offset the engine.

NickP
07-16-2017, 02:25 PM
I have a set and have at some point measured them at 1.00" Offset to the pass side. I just thought it might be of interest to some if the need was present. I wonder if in the GTO the engine is centered and the mounts are used for a clearance issue? I may have to review the part numbers on the set I have. It's interesting how some parts crossover and can be used. Do they (Vette) reside in stock (on K frame) location specific to your design or land elsewhere?

chevynut
07-16-2017, 04:08 PM
I have a set and have at some point measured them at 1.00" Offset to the pass side. I just thought it might be of interest to some if the need was present. I wonder if in the GTO the engine is centered and the mounts are used for a clearance issue? I may have to review the part numbers on the set I have. It's interesting how some parts crossover and can be used. Do they (Vette) reside in stock (on K frame) location specific to your design or land elsewhere?

All I know is both the left and right side mounts for the C5 Vette are symmetrical, and basically mirror images. We don't use the stock k-member mounts because the C4s never had LS engines. ;)

The passenger side Corvette mount is casting #10260643 and the driver's side is #10260642. They can be reversed on the engine but then the cushion hole moves.

The GTO uses the #10260642 driver's side mount and a different #92056790 passenger side mount. Don't know why the passenger side is different.

Here's a pic of the GTO mounts:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BDsAAOSwnK9ZRYpu/s-l1600.jpg

I don't see how the mounts could offset the engine, though, depending on where you weld in the frame mounts. The bolt hole on the driver's side is the same distance from the engine centerline as ours is. So if we dropped an engine using those mounts in our frame and lined up the driver's side, the engine would be centered. Not sure if the passenger side would fit because it looks like it may be longer.

I think the GTO uses the same cushions as the Corvette, but we don't use them.

Fladiver64
07-16-2017, 04:23 PM
Nick, I have not set an engine on them yet but they look centered. Laszlo, I have to say they guys helping with the swap were very impressed with conversion frame, body dropped right on, just had to cut the pinion snubber out and we forgot to remove the e brake assembly from the body, but the who;e swap when rather smoothly. I dont have the correct tires on it but with a 10" shock height on the front the frame rail at the front fender is about 4 3/4" and the stance looks great.

My assumption was the front suspension the top a arm should be parallel with the ground at ride height, what is the proper relationship for the rear half shafts? should they be parallel? or run slightly down toward the tires?

chevynut
07-16-2017, 08:23 PM
The proper ride height is with the steering tie rods level, and the lower a-arm slightly down at the balljoint. However, we set everything up so the a-arm is level. In the rear again the halfshaft should be just slightly down at the outboard end, but we set them up level. You can run both suspensions a little higher or lower as long as you align them at that height.

NickP
07-17-2017, 03:21 PM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/2283636/20292324/413469750.jpgBeen trying to add an image, won't take it

chevynut
07-17-2017, 04:45 PM
Been trying to add an image, won't take it

I see it. The GTO mount is a little wider and taller than the C5 mount. I wonder why they did it like that when they already had a part that should work. But it could still be used with a centered engine if the passenger side mount was moved over. It wouldn't even fit on our frame mounts with the C5 mount on the other side.

NickP
07-17-2017, 07:37 PM
GM, who knows.

Fladiver64
07-18-2017, 07:34 AM
If it was a Ford all four mounts would be different parts

Fladiver64
07-21-2017, 02:24 PM
So I was cleaning off the floor to see what I really had and there seams to be a seam sealer type of material in some of the joints ( see Pictures) is this factory or added at some other time? Do I need to grind it out if the floor is solid there? It looks like the previous floor repair and trunk patch were fiber glassed in so they will get removed. It looks like the area in front of the seats on both sides and a small patch in the trunk so far.7557755875597560