PDA

View Full Version : Question for Chevynut?

slowfinger
09-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Have a question: Well here's what we did so far....installed {tack welded in} front and rear floor pan. tightened frame mounts. Need to install inner rear quarter pannel to inner rockers,and "b" pillers. Do we weld those in now or wait to fit quarter pannels and outer rockers in? Doors are still braced and open and close well. And there is a steel channel welded across where back seat was. The bottom of old outer rockers are temp. reinforced with flat strip. We will be installing new outer rockers. I'm thinking? Weld in these parts before quarter pannels and outer rockers? Hmmm. Help! Thanks Geo.:)

chevynut
09-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Hi Geo,

Sounds like an ambitious project you have going on. Are you replacing the entire inner quarter panel from the b-pillar to the taillight? When you say you need to install B-pillars, what do you mean by that? Are you replacing the entire door jambs? Are the quarter panels still on?

Generally I would think you'd want to replace sheetmetal from the inside out. I'd leave as much exterior sheetmetal as you can in place while you replace inner structure. I would screw/clamp everything as you go before you weld it and find out it needs to come out. Once you have all the inner structure fitted, then weld it.

If you have the outer quarter still attached, and can get the inner quarter installed (even if you have to remove the floor again) I would do it that way. I've never replaced inner quarters so I'm not sure what all is involved.

My car was complete when I started. I fixed it in this order.... I removed the entire floor from the tailgate to the toe boards, and removed the stock tubs. Then I repaired the small rust areas at the bottom of the inner quarters, then replaced my floor, braces, and inner rockers all at the same time. Then I replaced my cargo floor, and built the new tubs.

Next was the outer rockers, then I repaired the passenger side door jamb, removed the quarters, modified the wheelhouses and finally put on the new the quarter panels. I believe I actually fitted and welded the new quarters before I welded the wheelhouses in permanently, so I could get to the quarter welds to planish them.

slowfinger
09-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Chevynut, Very informative pics thanks much. We are patching lower inner quarter pannel area on both sides. Looks like a trof or u shape.Then want to install "b" pillers. Quarter pannels are still on, we don't need to replace door jambs. The floor was tacked after lots of manuvering. Doors are still reinforced. Yes, wanted to get inside done first. Probably leave door braces on till outer rockers are welded on. Floor does look ok near where the door opens but can't be sure how the outer rockers would fit that single edge on top. Guess that falls into place if front and rear are correct and mounts are properly tightened. Maybe won't have to shim at that point. But tack welding in "B" pillers ok? Thanks a million Geo.

chevynut
09-06-2014, 03:02 PM
I still don't understand what you're calling a "b pillar". Is that a side brace on a ht?

slowfinger
09-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Yes it is.