PDA

View Full Version : 1957 ORIGINAL FI CAR??

Maddog
09-29-2014, 03:28 PM
I was looking at this ad and it seems to me that the owner most know it's not an original FI car as claimed. I say this because of the price. In my opinion if it was 1 of 524 original cars it would be selling for much more then $85K, especially restored.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/classifieds/classifieds.php?a=2&b=51221

markm
09-29-2014, 04:52 PM
I really do not know enough about these cars to comment, other than it seems to be priced low if legit,

Rick_L
09-29-2014, 04:56 PM
There are ways to tell original FI parts and features on the car and it has a couple of the ones I know, but I'm no expert.

There is also the matter of the FI unit matching the month of production, as there were 3 p/ns of FI unit in 1957. Plus all the correct date codes on everything else.

When I see nice numbers matching 57 convertibles only getting $45k bids at the big auctions, $85k for an original FI hardtop seems realistic. More details needed to narrow it down.
But a true numbers matching original FI car would seem to call for a bigger asking price.

One speculation that would support the price and not be a false claim - it is an original FI car but some part(s) don't match.

Maddog
09-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Maybe cars are selling for less in your area but everyday Tri5's sell for $45-$55K all day long around here, typical 350/350 combos with nothing special drop spindles etc. The 57 verts that are restored sell for $80K and up here also. I think this car has to be bogus to only ask $85K. Especially considering that he would probably take a little less then asking price. Real 57 FI cars are so rare I doubt if any real ones actually still exist. I'm not sure how one could even prove one is real or not even with matching number components, I guess an original sales invoice but those can be reproduced also.

Rick_L
09-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Are you sure you're looking at selling prices instead of asking prices? There could easily be a $15-30k split.

One thing that strikes me about this car is the blackwall tires and dog dish hubcaps. Not original and not the numbers matching "authentic" look. (Though I kind of like it.) Makes you wonder about what else might not be "original".

And there's nothing wrong with a clone or "tribute" car. Just be honest about it. The price matches a clone or is even high.

There is no such thing as an original window sticker - they didn't exist until the 60s, and anyone can write anything on an invoice.

I also think that modified cars do bring higher prices than original cars as a general comment.

Maddog
09-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Yes I noticed the dog dish caps right away, Bel Airs did not get those. I wasn't really talking about window stickers, I meant original purchase documents or other documents that would convince the most knowledgable that it is real. I would say $85 is about right asking price for a well done clone. Most mods do sell for more until you get into this glorified air of the very rare.

Bihili
09-30-2014, 08:22 AM
Nice car. Looks real to me.
I would like to see the pages of the 1957 Stock Car Competition Guide.

About two years ago I saw a 1957 complete Fuel Injection Unit on Ebay.
The price was about $15,000.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
09-30-2014, 11:30 AM
$15,000? was that what was being asked or what it sold for? probably what they were asking. :rolleyes:

chevynut
09-30-2014, 11:58 AM
About two years ago I saw a 1957 complete Fuel Injection Unit on Ebay.
The price was about $15,000.

I remember back in the day a guy I bought my first 55 from had one sitting in the window of his speed shop for sale....$80.

LEE T
09-30-2014, 03:49 PM
i just don't think there is a big difference in actual selling prices around the country now adays, with nationally broadcast major auctions, ebay, and inexpensive transport prices.
I use to buy cars out west and bring them back to the midwest for a good profit, but thats not so easily done anymore.

567chevys
09-30-2014, 06:36 PM
I remember back in the day a guy I bought my first 55 from had one sitting in the window of his speed shop for sale....$80.

I can remember back in school , you could not give one away , Time sure has change :(