PDA

View Full Version : 2 1/16" Autometer gauge install

warren57
12-15-2014, 10:21 AM
I wrote this post to help the DIYer looking for a little help...

After researching it seems some use to 2 1/16 "gauges and some use 2 5/8" gauges to fit the stock gauge cluster.

Heres what I found....

The hole in the gauge cluster is 2 1/4 ". So to mount a 2 5/8 "gauge, or at least an Autometer gauge. The gauge wouldn't slide in from the front and the benzel on the gauge is about 1/8 "thick, so if you slide in in from the back, you would need to reach in and grind the castings inside the gauge cluster (as others noted) Now the gauge bezel would rest on the inside of the cluster. This makes for a pretty easy install.

For those of us that bought 2 1/6 "gauges thinking that was correct, the gauge, bezel and all slides through the hole. I read someone machined an aluminum washer and had it chromed. I thought of doing that, but didn't have a piece of aluminum stock laying around and besides all the machine labor and cost to chrome, is ridicules. I think I would polish the aluminum, thats as bright as chrome anyway.

So in search of an inexpensive and easy install, I found the chrome trim ring on the stock gauge fits over the gauge body but stops at the gauge bezel, so presto, a premade washer, in chrome and inexpensive. Slide it onto the gauge, use the gauge mounting bracket to hold it in place, slip it into the housing from the rear, everything lines up perfectly, add a couple of mounting clips to screw it to the cluster and you are done.

I've attached some pictures using the old chrome rings (which I will replace with new for final install). Makes a fast and easy install. No grinding, nothing.

It will likely take two post for the 8 pictures, I will try to attach them here.
1st, front view of gap around gage, 2nd, rear view of gap around gage, 3rd, old gage showing ring, 4th, the old chrome ring.
5th, the old trim ring on gage. 6th, new gage mounting bracket slid down to hold chrome ring in place. 7th, assembly view from rear (no gaps). 8th, assembly view from front.
Now get the new chrome rings out and install using them.
Hope the speedo is this easy...

5Clint7
12-15-2014, 03:48 PM
Good job. Looks good Warren.

warren57
01-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Tried to post a picture of finished gauge install, but no luck. The picture doesn't load in the post for some reason.

warren57
02-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Here the finished cluster...

chevynut
02-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Looks great Warren. I like the white gauges.

Did you ever get your interior trim back from the plater? How did it turn out? I'm still on the fence about my bumpers, but the front one is off and ready to send out once I decide who to use.

warren57
06-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Hey C-Nut. The trim came back great. He had to copper plate it and sand 3 times to get the pitting out, but chrome looks good. He told me he would do the bumpers for $400 each. I may send him the rear, I found a fairly good used front that I may run for awhile.