PDA

View Full Version : Shop addition is finished outside

chevynut
12-16-2014, 12:05 PM
My fenced storage area and all the filling and grading are now completed, so I can start moving my stuff into it. I put three 10 foot gates in for easy access.

I also finished the driveway in front of the new shop addition and filled the entire driveway in front of both shops with new recycled asphalt. I had 105 tons (7 loads) hauled in and may need one more load when it all settles. Here's a few pics of the outside....all I have left to do is oil the fence and install rain gutters, which I never installed on the old shop.

3837 3838 3839 3840

NickP
12-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Looks grand! Congrats! ;)

chevynut
12-16-2014, 12:13 PM
It only took 2 1/2 years. :p

I am almost finished with the inside but I still have to build one custom door. Most of the trim is finished and I still have a little painting to do. Then I have to decide on workbenches and cabinets but I can do that after my car is in there.

warren57
12-16-2014, 04:58 PM
Very nice!!

JT56
12-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Looks great! How much longer till that nomad is driving lol!

chevynut
12-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Looks great! How much longer till that nomad is driving lol!

I won't say, because I've missed every goal I've set. My ex-GF said I should finish it when I hit my 56th birthday...that was 5 years ago. :(

I have a "loose" goal to have the frame ready for paint sometime in February, then work on assembly of the chassis and engine. Then I hope to get the body painted in the April/May timeframe and get it on the frame soon after that. That's what I discussed with my painter.

In the meantime, I have to finish the interior construction which is still a lot of work. Then I'm going to do some more block sanding and start disassembling the car. The problem is that time flies, and years go by in a blink.

JT56
12-17-2014, 04:50 AM
So how long has that 502 been crated? Do you spay anything in the spark plug holes?

chevynut
12-17-2014, 07:33 AM
The 502 has not been crated since I bought it. I have tape over the exhaust ports and spark plug holes. I'm sure there's still assembly lube in the cylinders and we have a very dry climate here. It's been stored indoors in a heated environment.

That said, it's been sitting a long time. I plan to disassemble it, replace the rings, clean it up and check everything, paint it, and put it back together. I bought it new but it was from a previous owner who gave up on his project.

Fladiver64
12-17-2014, 12:58 PM
I hope our garage project does not take 2 1/2 years but it certainly has taken longer than expected. I just finished installing the well equipment and with temp power we have water. Will run the permanent power this week and we are hoping to get footers and slab poured the first two weeks of January. With both myself and my neighbor working full time this project does not get first priority so I understand the slipping goals comments.

chevynut
12-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Fladiver, the main reason it took so long is I started on it in May 2012 and planned to hire out whatever I couldn't do myself quickly, with a goal of finishing it in around 6 months or so. Shortly after we poured the foundation and floor and started framing I was offered an early retirement package from the company I worked for, so I accepted it and scaled back what I was spending on the shop. I just got spooked at the idea of not having any income, or unpredictable income. I wasn't old enough to tap into my IRA without a penalty, so I had to figure out how to make it through that time.

After that I did most everything myself, including electrical, insulation, paint, trim, and helping with drywall,etc. while building frames and working on my own car. I hired out brick and roof work. The shop was drywalled and painted over a year ago and I spent the past winter and all summer trying to decide what to do with the floor. I finished the upstairs floor some time ago so I had a place to store stuff inside. This summer was full of scouting for hunting, working on my car, a vacation to AZ, building the fenced storage area, rebuilding an ATV, and lots of other stuff. I can't finish my car without finishing this shop first and now that I have a painter lined up I'm going for it again.

WagonCrazy
12-17-2014, 04:46 PM
That looks great. Now you're cooking with fire...

As for your comment: The problem is that time flies, and years go by in a blink.

I can only say

No kiddin'.

Fladiver64
12-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Fladiver, the main reason it took so long is I started on it in May 2012 and planned to hire out whatever I couldn't do myself quickly, with a goal of finishing it in around 6 months or so. Shortly after we poured the foundation and floor and started framing I was offered an early retirement package from the company I worked for, so I accepted it and scaled back what I was spending on the shop. I just got spooked at the idea of not having any income, or unpredictable income. I wasn't old enough to tap into my IRA without a penalty, so I had to figure out how to make it through that time.

After that I did most everything myself, including electrical, insulation, paint, trim, and helping with drywall,etc. while building frames and working on my own car. I hired out brick and roof work. The shop was drywalled and painted over a year ago and I spent the past winter and all summer trying to decide what to do with the floor. I finished the upstairs floor some time ago so I had a place to store stuff inside. This summer was full of scouting for hunting, working on my car, a vacation to AZ, building the fenced storage area, rebuilding an ATV, and lots of other stuff. I can't finish my car without finishing this shop first and now that I have a painter lined up I'm going for it again.

In other words Life gets in the way.... we are working on a similar plan, we are having the foundation and the steel building done by a contractor and then we will finish the interior, electrical, plumbing and insulation. Lucky for us not much drywall in a steel building. If your anything like me I always think I can get twice as much finished in the time allotted as usually gets accomplished. we are building a 50' x 75' with 18' ceilings, so should be much nicer than working in the two car garage.

MP&C
12-18-2014, 04:46 AM
I give it 6 months and Laszlo will be running out of room... :p

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
12-18-2014, 06:57 AM
My fenced storage area and all the filling and grading are now completed, so I can start moving my stuff into it. I put three 10 foot gates in for easy access.

I also finished the driveway in front of the new shop addition and filled the entire driveway in front of both shops with new recycled asphalt. I had 105 tons (7 loads) hauled in and may need one more load when it all settles. Here's a few pics of the outside....all I have left to do is oil the fence and install rain gutters, which I never installed on the old shop.

3837 3838 3839 3840

nice job, looking good. :cool:

Custer55
04-15-2015, 09:40 AM
I know the feeling, Always to many things to do and not near enough time. The shop looks great.
Brian

567chevys
04-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Looks really good Laszlo

you do really nice work

Is the fence to keep your Neighbors from seeing your Junk cars ?

Sid

chevynut
04-15-2015, 09:54 PM
Is the fence to keep your Neighbors from seeing your Junk cars ?

Sid

Thanks Sid. The fence is for a couple of vehicles I have, one 56 parts car and a Jeep that I plan to put together "some day". It's also for my stack of frames and corvette suspensions, as well as my utility trailer and travel trailer. It's about 1600 square feet of area.