PDA

View Full Version : Headers for my 57 chevy 1/2 ton pu

Country Cadillac
04-02-2015, 06:47 AM
Mornin....newbe here.....looks like a great source for info......been trying to sort out what headers will fit my truck and I have to say it's a little overwhelming at least for this old timer......same old story....on a limited budget.....I do have a set of ram horn cast iron manifolds that came with the first sbc that I put in it a long time back now...... but would like to know what you folks would suggest for headers.....really appreciate any help and thanks for your time...............Ray

BAM55
04-02-2015, 01:04 PM
A little info please like does the truck have a stock suspension? If not what IFS?

Country Cadillac
04-03-2015, 04:37 AM
Hey BAM55.....It has a MMII w/2" drop spindles....350sbc...700r4...sorry about that...should have included that info....Ray

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
04-03-2015, 05:44 AM
might look into some kind of hugger type, www.summitracing.com (http://www.summitracing.com) would be a good place to start. :)

BAM55
04-03-2015, 10:55 AM
You said you are on a budget. For Mid Length headers I know that the these will work http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=H8025-1
They are trifive Patriot Headers.

Also any block hugger will work.

Country Cadillac
04-03-2015, 11:01 AM
carls 56.....Oh I've been to summit a number of times and boy they got a lot of um.....not sure if a set of long tubes will work...they say those have the best flow....just how do you tell if they're goin' to fit....there techs can't give me a definite answer and I have no experience with which headers will fit the truck....I'm sure hugger style will fit but their flow is not great according to summit videos.....

Country Cadillac
04-03-2015, 11:21 AM
BAM 55....I went and took a look at the set you said will work..... their application didn't include trucks or 168 tooth flexplates which I have.... and that's confusing.....I am in no way saying that the info you gave me is not correct cause you are far more knowledgeable then I am....so you or your friends have used them on a 57 chevy pu and they work fine ? I do have the power brakes under the floor and don't know if that would make a difference.....thanks Ray

BAM55
04-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Say man you are suppose to question everything especially the things posted on the net. I have no issue with that its your pride and joy. You should get info and still do your research. But here are some pics of those headers for you. Its a task force truck (like yours) with small block, and mustang 2 suspension.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=917819&stc=1&d=1335918238
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=917818&stc=1&d=1335918238

Here is a pic of the steering linkage.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=917958&stc=1&d=1335926756

This is not my project its a net buddy of mines.

If you are not comfortable going that route here is what a set of block huggers would look like. This is a Chevy AD truck which has a narrower frame in the front than yours.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=918437&stc=1&d=1336019884

markm
04-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Unless its a race car I would consider 2.5 inch ramshorn manifolds, not a fan of headeraches.

chevynut
04-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Headers just sound so cool compared to iron manifolds, IMO. I always loved that "tinny" sound of the exhaust going through the tubes. ;)

Country Cadillac
04-04-2015, 04:44 AM
BAM55....after these great pics there's no doubt anymore if they would fit or not....really appreciate the effort...the steering linkage pic is a bonus and is on my what to do next list....is this ceramic coating something that's worth the extra money .... I have had 0 experience with header coatings....thanks again...Ray

BAM55
04-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Well if you want them to look nice and some added protection I would get the ceramic coating. But you did say you were on a budget so its your call.

Country Cadillac
04-05-2015, 04:24 AM
Bam.....just a thanks for all the help......Ray

BAM55
04-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Thats what we are here for buddy. Post a build thread when your ready.

Country Cadillac
04-19-2015, 06:43 AM
Just an update on the headers I just received.....well they fit in there just fine but the plugs on #1 and #7 with the boots ...either 90 deg. or straight ...hit the header tubing...the passenger side has clearance on all the plugs.....if the tubing where bent the same both sides they would fit perfect.....and from what I can see, that could have very easily have been done....I'm a pipefitter by trade and did lots of pipe bending over the years. The other item folks should know is if you pick the high temp. paint model of the 3 available finishes....the instructions tell you to sand blast the headers....clean with acetone....and repaint with high temp. paint because the paint is just to keep the metal from rusting....hard to figure that when the description said high temp. paint. So I called a tech at summit and he said no matter what they are painted with they will rust.....I guess he should know. Now I have to pay return shipping and summit will determine if the issue was theirs or mine before they will reimburse me for shipping. So I guess I'm back to O and will start looking again.....disappointed in their description of their product. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone looking at that product. thanks.........Ray

chevynut
04-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Cadillac, what did you expect the paint to do besides keeping the headers from rusting? If you really want to protect them, buy the ceramic coated ones or have them ceramic coated at a place like Jet Hot. It's cheaper to buy them already coated but I'm not sure of the quality of the coating they use.
Good luck finding a set that fits the way you want them to.

Custer55
04-19-2015, 06:24 PM
Take a look at Sanderson Headers. They cost bit more but the quality is very good. I put a set of their ceramic coated block huggers on my 55 a few years ago and they still look great. You don't even need gaskets with their headers, just a small bead of black RTV silicone. I have had no issues with exhaust leaks with just the silicone either.
Brian

Country Cadillac
04-20-2015, 07:36 AM
chevynut.....I understand about paint protecting metal from rust.....my point was... why when they say in the ad that it's high temp. paint... BUT...the instructions that comes with the headers says you should sand blast their high temp.paint off...clean with acetone and reapply more high temp paint .....didn't understand that.

Country Cadillac
04-20-2015, 07:38 AM
Custer 55...Appreciate the info and will give them a look today......Ray