PDA

View Full Version : Ride comfort ??

Eds56
04-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Hello All,

After over 20 years of sitting in the corner, I have finally got my 1956 2-door Bel Air on the road. I have now put about 300 miles on her and you might say we are still "feeling each other out". Which brings me to my question listed below--

For the most part it's smooth and straight, does NOT pull right or left...... BUT when you hit even a small bump you KNOW IT...... So, is it normal to Feel every bump in the road? I think I now know what my dad always meant by the term "rides like a log wagon"...... It is bumpy& Squeeks just turning around the yard, ---- I am not expecting it to be as smooth as a CADDY...... and maybe it's normal for that year model? ---- Maybe it's just me?

Specs-- all stock springs, 4-leafs on rear (not sure what's normal leaf count), NEW mid grade Monroe shocks front & back, p235/75r15 rear & p220/75r15 front mounted on Rally rims. ALL bushings were replaced, just before she was "parked" 20years ago.....so even they are new, i'm sure they have deteriorated.

Just looking for your thoughts......and yes I know, it's mostly a matter of opinion, but I value your thoughts.

Thanks,
Ed

Rick_L
04-19-2015, 12:45 PM
I don't find the ride objectionable with a 55-57 equipped like yours, but then maybe I'm blessed with good roads.

You say it squeeks just turning around the yard - that's telling you something, like maybe the bushings are bound up/rubber hardened from the 20 years of storage.

Will the front or rear move when you push down on it with your hands?

Have you lubed the ball joints and steering since bringing it out of storage?

Eds56
04-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the response Rick,

Yes, I have lubed the various joints & Yes you can bounce the front and rear of car with hands pressure. I was kinda thinking the same thing (regarding hardened rubber) after all that sitting. Think my next step will be removing the leaf springs & inspecting those bushings more. The frame had several coats of chassis Black after the bushings were installed years ago....maybe the combo of Paint & sitting is the culprit.

Thanks again for the input

WagonCrazy
04-21-2015, 07:36 AM
Age of the tires? 20 years old? hard?
New radials would help...

markm
04-21-2015, 09:11 AM
If your car has traction bars it mayl have a harsh ride.

Eds56
04-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Thanks WC ----- Tires are about a year old

Eds56
04-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Thanks Mark --- No traction bars

chevynut
04-21-2015, 06:51 PM
I think you're spoiled. ;)

You might try loosening the a-arm shaft bolts and rear shackles, then tighten them back down at ride height. If you originally tightened them with the car up in the air the bushings might be binding. Doing that might un-stress them if they're not already trashed.

Eds56
04-22-2015, 04:42 AM
LOL.... yea you're probably right ChevyNut, I suppose I could be.

These components were installed with the car on my lift and also painted at that time, so that could contribute to it. I will definitely try a re-install and tighten with the car @ ride hight.

Heck I'm just enjoying getting to drive it a little after all these years, maybe i'm just over criticizing it. But you guys give great advise and I have never driven one like this, so i'm not sure what to compare it too. I'm sure I will have more question, in the miles ahead.

Thanks for the input ChevyNut

Eds56
08-16-2015, 07:50 AM
what is the best way to test shocks off the car? I can push my (practically new) Monroe SensaTracs in all the way by hand, with moderate force and then it takes them about 30+ seconds to fully extend back out all the way.....this doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks,
Ed

Rick_L
08-16-2015, 08:23 AM
That is normal for gas shocks off the car.

A worn original shock will be easy to move by hand, at least with it extended to normal ride height.