PDA

View Full Version : drive shaft safety loop location

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
04-30-2015, 10:49 AM
I'm starting to consider designing bracing for the center of my frame on the nomad. Sense I went with pypes exhaust with a crossover pipe I am not able to use or design the most common AM style frame brace like most use. I am looking at doing something closer to the convertible X brace. Honestly I'm not sure how effective I can make it as far as stiffing the frame given the space I have left but most importantly is incorporating a drive shaft safety loop into it. Where should a safety loop be located relative to the trans or rear end?
I lost my drive shaft in my LS1 powered cutlass it exploded @ 135 in third gear the one and only time I tried to see just how fast it was. So I am a bit gun shy to say the least. I might be putting the LS2 nomad on a dyno if I decide to cam it and if so it will be run up in RPM in 3rd. Already have seen many carnage videos with older cars that have had LS swaps done and dyno'd tuned.

Rick_L
04-30-2015, 11:14 AM
NHRA rules say the loop must be within 6" of the u-joint. You aren't bound to that unless you're going to race at one of their tracks - but it's a sensible guideline.

niceguy
04-30-2015, 02:34 PM

Just be sure you use a higher quality than this one...That was a joy to clean up let me tell you.
Here's where one company I'm familiar with puts them.

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
04-30-2015, 03:14 PM
OUCH^^^^^
Thanks for the pics!!! and info guys. Guess that one was a one time use only part LOL. You're a life to tell about it so I guess it did do its job.

chevynut
05-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Honestly I'm not sure how effective I can make it as far as stiffing the frame given the space I have left but most importantly is incorporating a drive shaft safety loop into it.

If you really wanted to stiffen the frame, you should have done that before building your exhaust.;) The exhaust routing is a lot more flexible than the frame stiffeners. I know there are limitations on everything, but I always consider the least flexible things first while still thinking about the more flexible things.

567chevys
05-02-2015, 11:03 AM
NHRA rules say the loop must be within 6" of the u-joint. You aren't bound to that unless you're going to race at one of their tracks - but it's a sensible guideline.

Very true Rick and the NHRA facts ,
Guy doing my car even made some type of Loop to protect driver from Exploding U joint ( front only )