PDA

View Full Version : Which looks better?

chevynut
05-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Been working on my console and I was looking at the shape in front of the lid. The door panels have flowing lines that go down in the front. I was wondering if I should re-shape the console to match those lines better. I like both designs, I just had a thought about it. I don't know if the taller design will work with my shifter but I think it will. What do you think?

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
05-31-2015, 04:23 PM
From that angle right hand pic has my vote flows with door perfect imo.

MP&C
05-31-2015, 05:39 PM
Second version flows better with door panels. Shifter can be made to fit/work, but flow is either right or it's not..

chevynut
05-31-2015, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking too. I did the first design some time ago, before I finished the door panels. The armrest on the door panels was originally supposed to be horizontal but I ran into another design issue and had to curve it downward. I needed the armrest high enough that it was usable, and the top line above the "spear" had to end at the bottom of the dash. So I thought that the original console design now didn't complement the door lines.

I'm working on the design of the dash valence now, and it's going to flow into the console.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
06-01-2015, 05:35 AM
at first I liked the right, but the other seems a better fit for cup holders and shifter. :geek:

chevynut
06-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Carl, I'm not sure I have any room for cupholders. There's a bunch of electronics under there and I don't know if I want anyone drinking in the car anyhow. :) If I raise the top some I may be able to put them in but I'm not sure if I even want to.

The shifter is a question, especially since it's a 6-speed. I want the shifter as short as possible, and it's currently a Hurst Competition Plus billet shifter with a Hurst stick. If anything I'd like to shorten it, not lengthen it.

4465 4466

WagonCrazy
06-01-2015, 05:48 PM
My vote is for the 2nd version (pic on the right).
Flows better with the lines in the doors...

Bihili
06-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Seat position, arm reach, console height and height of shifter is more important to me than sight lines.IMO

chevynut
06-02-2015, 08:34 AM
Bill, the seat is in the position I'll be driving the car, the shifter is in a very comfortable position, and the console is just high enough that it works as an armrest. When shifting the console isn't in the way right now and it's just a hair lower than the door armrests. I plan to put switches on the console just in front of the lid. My main concern was visual, and I was wondering if the first design (left pic) clashed with the door panels. Most people so far have told me the second design looks better. Some don't think the first design looks bad.